Kid Capri – Mixtape King
Wednesday July 20th 2005,
Filed under: Promos & Exclusives,Tape Vaults

The Kid

Kid Capri‘s 10/09/89 is regarded as one of the best hip-hop mixtapes ever made, up there with Doo Wop‘s ’95 Live, Mister Cee‘s Best of Biggie and Tony Touch‘s 50 MC’s. The intro killed it with the Stephanie Mills acapella blended with “Impeach The President”, which I’m assuming inspired Ron G to take it to the next stage and make whole tapes of singing mixed with hard beats. The start of the b-side features a song which never made it past test-pressing status, according to a Biz Markie interview in Big Daddy Magazine:

Biz: You gotta get “Cool V Scratch The Piece”. That’s a rare one. You remember back in ’88, when we was playin’ Cool V, a Cool V record, it’s a DJ record, with all Michael Jackson’s.

BD: Oh yeah, Westwood used to play it!

Biz: I got wax. Two different ones.

BD: How many of those were pressed?

Biz: Ahhhhh, we got like six. Funky record. There’s one with all Marvin Gaye records off of “Long Red”, Dum, ahh, dum-duh-dum ahh, that never came out.

As you might imagine, this record is incredible.

Other highlights include Capri “regulating”(adding his own lyrics at the end of each bar) Big Daddy Kane‘s “Smooth Operator”, a Queen Latifah blend with the “You’re A Customer” remix and the inclusion of the goofy “Monster Rap”. The Kid is also one of the only DJ’s who doesn’t make you want to smash his tape on the concrete when he yells over the tracks, since he doesn’t overdo it and actually does a good job of hyping shit up.

Kid Capri - Intro (10/09/89 mixtape)

Cool V - Cool V Scratch The Piece (10/09/89 mixtape)

Kid Capri, huh ?

My own little person story…(i told this story on here before so some of ya might remember it) back in the day when Kid Capri was still selling his tapes on 125 Street right by the Apollo (where ROCK & WILL was at) I was just about to walk over and pick up the 52 beats or old school 1… i really don’t remember the tape but as soon as i got up there i saw ALPO jumping out some fat ass whip and he’s talking to Kid Capri for a minute then Capri gives him a tape and PO gives Capri a Hundred dollar bill just like that and walks away.

UGHH Post

Heh.

We should also mention how dope “the tape” album is too.

Comment by Brian Beck From Wisconsin 07.20.05 @

crates sure loves him some Alpo anecdotes.

“The Tape” has some great songs on it. It was nice to hear someone other than Willie D still repping Shout Rap into the nineties as well.

I’m pretty sure Capri was the first to flip that DeBarge sample (on the cut “Billy”) that Biggie made famous.

Comment by Robbie 07.20.05 @

it’d be hot as fuck if you could share the entire tape with us ;)

Comment by DJ Mad Wax 07.22.05 @

I am a big fan of The Biz. Thanks for sharing “Cool V Scratch The Piece”!

Comment by Cinister Cee 07.22.05 @

Good post-

yeah all that shit about alpo and all them is crazy- Paid In Full is a dope movie too- I actually have that Mob Style- Good Bad Ugly Cd its half decent, plus i got some random mixtape with various mob style tracks

Comment by Air Alex 07.22.05 @

Oh my gush! That COOL V is molten lava holmes. Yeesh.

Comment by beez 07.24.05 @

Thanks man!

Comment by vlokkebuul 07.26.05 @

[Oh my gush! That COOL V is molten lava holmes. Yeesh.]

^^^
good shot brah. cool v is slickness.

Comment by thesurgeongeneral 07.26.05 @

wow yo.
wow.

Comment by Malatron 07.27.05 @

Ah yeah! I remember the Cool V record from a Marley Marl In Control Radio tape I have… mixed right into Main Source’s “Breaking Atoms.” One of my favorite mixes. The Stephanie Mills, “Something In The Way You Make Me Feel,” intro is cool, but that same mix tape I have had a better mix of it, that led right into Cash Money & Marvelous’, “A Real Mutha For Ya.”

Comment by TRDouble 07.28.05 @

LOL I remember that Mob Style tape! I’m still trying to find the remix single, Mob Style.

My favorite Kid Capri mix tape will always be his old school #2 ….. got it back when he used to dj up at the Skate Key in the Bronx.

Comment by Mecca 08.02.05 @

“52 Beats” is another winner from the Kid.

Comment by Robbie 08.02.05 @

Love that intro, what is the last track – i am loving that! I love 52 Beats so much and i want to hear the rest of this tape. And that Cool V is damn hot.

Comment by funkytechnician 08.12.05 @

If you want his old mixtapes on CD, then you can find them here…PEACE!

Comment by MAAD 08.16.05 @

What happened to these clips? They were both gangsta! Please add them back!

Peace

Comment by T 02.01.06 @

man, i’ve been listening to this one for a while now and it’s hot! respect to the biz

Comment by Kenny 02.19.06 @

man listen,, i use to go crazy on that cool-v mix,,i gotta give major propz to the kid capri,, i got that tape from his boy troy outlaw that use to live on my block,,they need to bring back these dudes mixtapes back,,i mean the likes of kid capri,,ron-g,,doo-wop,,brucie-b,,hollywood,,luv-bug star-ski,,now thats real dj-ing & mixing,,the era i come from,,my dude please if you have them,,POST THEM,,WE NEED THAT IN OUR LIVES…..uno

Comment by pugs 05.08.06 @

I CANT FRONT IT WAS KID CAPRI WHO SCHOOLED ME ON OLD SCHOOL R/B. TO THIS DAY I JUST CANT GET THE RIGHT MIX OF OL SCHOOL BLENDS LIKE KID BUT THEN AGAIN IM NOT A DJ BUT MOVIN ON …I PRODUCE VIDEO SHOWS ON PUBLIC ACCESS AND ALL AND KID CAPRI TO ME IS LEGENDARY BECAUSE ON A FEW OCCASSIONS I BUMPED INTO HIM AND I ALWAYS PAID MY RESPECT TO HIM…THE FIRST TIME WAS DURING THE STATE BUILDING JAMS WHERE KOOL G RAP AND HAWK WAS RUNNING THE STREETS WITH THERE LARGE POSSE BACK THEN AND I ASK KID WHERE TO GET HIS TAPES AT AND I THINK IT WAS SEARCH WHIPPIN BY AND HE MENTIONED THAT SPOT ON ONE TWO FIVE….. MANY TYPES CAME FROM HIM ..RON G EVERYONE KNEW WAS HEATED OF KID AND UP IN THE BRONX I WAS GETTIN FAT DOUG TAPES WHERE HE KILLED JANET JACKSON’S THERE’S SOMETHING I GOT TO TELL YOU AND JERMAINE JACKSON’S JOINT…SO KID GOD BLESS FOR EVER LASTING EFFECT YOU ON ME ..BECAUSE …TODAY THIS OL BANG BANG SHOOT EM UP SHIT IS …A HEADACHE….

Comment by MALO FROM DA BRONX 08.02.06 @

MAN!!! I wish I can get some of those tapes again.
10-09 was HOT!We had more.There was another Kid Capri that was just as high a calibre as 10-09.I can’t remember but it was 11 something.
How can I get those again?
back in the day I had 3-4 Kid Capri’s and every one of them was stolen or lost(by the person I loan it to).
I’ve been looking everywhere for them,but had no success.My friends are gonna flip when I tell them about this.
The best I heard from Kid Capri was the mix of Big Daddy Kane and the BIZ(markie).
I would like a copy of 10-09,what do I need to do?

Comment by Gary Brown 08.03.06 @

I’m planning on recording the whole tape into mp3 soon. I’ll let you know when it happens.

Comment by Robbie 08.03.06 @

Props for those mp3′s.. I have that KID CAPRI-50 BEATS mix tape.. I’d like to exchange it for Kid Capri-10/09/89 mixtape, or any throwback Doo Wop, Tony Touch, Ron G, Brucie Bee,etc, mix tapes.. I also have 95 Live 1 & 2, and other throwback mixtapes to exchange as well.. HOLLA!!!!

Comment by Mreman 08.26.06 @

p.s. Anyone know what year CAPRI-52 BEATS mix tape come out…?

Comment by Mreman 08.26.06 @

Yo,God!! Good lookin´for your inspiriational styles and techniques. You took mix tapes to a whole different level and that has spawned me to get busy with my unorthodox flava of blends. I have yet to be blessed with your presence, and I hope that we can work that out in the near future so I can learn something from the master!! I´m also lookin´for that jump-off back in ´88-´89 where Bink Buddah and his affiliates killed this tape with a crazy freestyle intro. Somebody holla at the God and let me know where I can cop that, ya´heard? D.J Ren-One B.X.N.Y.C

Comment by Dj Ren-One 02.09.07 @

Wow – I always knew that track (Scratch the Piece) on the Westwood show as Cool V’s – Tribute to scratching Part 2. That brings back some serious memories! Can anyone please re-upload this track it would really make my musical decade as it reminds me of the best days of hip hop when I used to listen to the Capital Rap Show…..Thanks in Advance

Comment by DJ_MSP 06.05.08 @

search piratebay for:

OLD SKOOL 1991 – KISS 100 & CAPITAL RAP SHOW EXCLUSIVES

…some more exclusives in there as well.

Comment by m.r.k.o.m.i.e. 11.11.08 @

Please re-up that Cool V joint. The only DJ’s I ever heard play this was Marley Marl, Kid Capri and Mr. Cee. That record is a holy grail. The Marvin Gaye version is probably crazy. I’m a big fan of your work.

Thanks