Biggie Smalls & Jeru The Damaja – Friend or Foe?
Monday September 19th 2005,
Filed under: Features,Forgotten Beefs

Jeru BIG

As was revealed in the “Life After Death: Making of A Classic” feature in XXL a while back, Biggie’s line “Yo son, I’m suprised you run with ‘em, I think they got cum in ‘em, ’cause they nothing but dicks” from “Kick In The Door” was directed at the tracks producer, DJ Premier. B.I.G. was referring to Jeru, who had been perceived as hating on the whole Bad Boy crew following the release of “One Day”. Although The Damaja only mentioned Foxy Brown, Puffy and Shawn Black by name, since Biggie was such a loyal type dude he took offense to his boy getting called out. This is all pretty straight-forward, but a look back into the history of these two Brooklyn-bred rap legends reveals that relations weren’t always so frosty between the pair. Last year, Jeru had this to say:

ThaFormula.com – Did you ever get a chance to see Biggie comin’ up seeing that you guys came up around the same time in Brooklyn?

Jeru The Damaja – We used to hang together on the corner. That’s my man. I mean Biggie, that’s one of my favorite MC’s and I think that I was one of his favorite MC’s. He told me, “Yo, you need to do a video for Brooklyn Took It and I just wanna stand there.” Like on MTV they were doing the Biggie story and he had on a Jeru the Damaja T-Shirt. Like I remember when he used to stand on the corner and just shoot dice. Nas and Premier used to come pick me up when Nas was recording his album “Illmatic.” I was in the studio when all them dudes did they album. I was there for the whole Illmatic. I was there when Biggie did his whole first joint.

Who knew? In another suprising revelation, there was also a B.I.G. interview where he mentioned that he was planning to make a song called “Brooklyn Niggas” with M.O.P and Jeru. In much the same way as the outstanding “Come On Motherfuckers” (featuring Sadat X over a Lord Finesse beat) didn’t make the final cut of Ready To Die thanks to Puffy’s “commercial vision”, sadly this potentially classic combination was never recorded.

Premier recounts another early incident which indicates that things were headed for trouble (I’ve combined two seperate quotes into one):

“When Biggie had “Party and Bullshit” out, he opened up for us when we did a show at Virginia State. It was me and Jeru the Damaja – who had just released “Come Clean”- Pete Rock, Damion and Cease. And we woke up early that morning to knock on Biggie’s room to see if he’s gonna follow us back to New York. And I knock on his door, and he opens the door buck-naked in his boxer drawers with a bucket of chicken. And Jeru says, “Yo, you need to stop eatin’ all of that meat, man. You need to go vegetarian.” Big was like, “Yo, my name is Biggie, not Barkim.” Barkim is like a God name for people who don’t eat flesh and stuff like that. So it’s funny to see Big there topless, big ol’ titties hanging out, clipping his toenails, with no shame.”

Finally, the beat for Biggie’s “10 Crack Commandments” was originally a Hot 97 promo featuring Jeru, so he may have been a little pissed when it ended-up on Big Poppa’s LP.

Not long after Life After Death, Jeru and Premier stopped working together as a result of a “financial dispute”, but I suspect that Preme’s involvement with Biggie may also have have contributed to the tensions between the two (which reminds me, if any one has a copy of Jeru’s unreleased diss to the Gangstarr Foundation called “Friends”, let me know). Then again, Jeru may have had no idea about that “Kick In The Door” shit until that article came out….The Prophet also got at a few other folks on “Wrath of the Math”, as he fired back at The Fugees on “Black Cowboys” and took a swipe at Blahzay Blahzay‘s Outloud for allegedly biting his style on “Whatever”, not that anyone really gave a shit.

These days, Biggie is widely considered to be The Greatest Rapper of All Time (which is not a title that I endorse myself), while Jeru does free concerts in Canada. Former DRS weed carrier Afu-Ra still makes songs with Premo. You do the math.

It has always surprised me that Premier seemed neutral when several people he worked with were having beef (Biggie, Jeru, Jay-Z, Nas).

Comment by Lotuz 09.19.05 @

yea primo is the man cause wat he do now??

Comment by rob 09.19.05 @

he wasn’t really neutral about jay z vs. nas

Comment by spell it wit a p 09.19.05 @

he wasn’t really neutral about jay z vs. nas

Explain that please. I think I’ve missed something. :)

Comment by Lotuz 09.19.05 @

Lotuz – It makes perfect sense for Primo to stay out of beefs. If he picks chooses sides, he’s going to lose a client (at least for a while) – it’s bad for business.

Comment by killermike 09.19.05 @

When Jeru advised girls that “tight jeans cause yeast infections” on “ya playin’ yaself” rap music died a little inside. “Player’s anthem” > “ya playin’ yaself” as far as songs with the same sample go.

Never liked Jeru other than a few cuts on the first two albums. His voice, his slightly awkward and clumsy flow, his anti-fun philosophy..Fuck him.

Comment by Brian Beck From Wisconsin 09.19.05 @

I know it’s wise to stay out, but you know people try to get you involved anyway.

Comment by Lotuz 09.19.05 @

Primo said he thought Nas won the battle which, coupled with his throwing in his career lot with the perenially overrated Guru, shows he’s a much better judge of samples than emcees. Never heard the Big/Sadat joint. Any chance someone could post it in the comments?

Comment by Anonymous 09.19.05 @

Yo, I got a spare Jeru – Friend or Foe white label if you down to trade.

Comment by Ed Catto 09.19.05 @

I’d like to hear that Lord Finesse version too. On the ‘Born Again’ album ‘Come On’ was produced by Clark Kent. Not bad at all, but come on…

Comment by Lotuz 09.19.05 @

summer of 94 i was listening to illmatic and sun rises in the east back to back like every day….ready to die came out that fall and i was dissappointed at the time and stayed bumpin nas and gangstar/jeru.

Comment by chrisv 09.19.05 @

“When Jeru advised girls that “tight jeans cause yeast infections” on “ya playin’ yaself” rap music died a little inside.”

Ha…possibly the best comment ever.

I don’t have that good version of “Come On MFs”, but I’ve heard it. Hopefully someone will throw it up somewhere.

Comment by Robbie 09.19.05 @

It’s easy now to potentially believe that Biggie is one of the greatest MC’s of all time but people often forget that when Big first came out and started doing the hip-hop/r&b thing with Puff, alot of other rappers and fans alike (like me!) were hating.

Don’t any of you remember turning on MTV and BET and seeing BIG and Puff in the One More Chance video and being like “what the fuck!!!?, this shit is wack!!” i mean seriously man, i think alot of us could feel Jeru’s pain! if anything, i was glad Jeru , Ghost & Raekwon and De La were actually calling that shit out on record ’cause no one else really was but everybody knew shit was wack. That whole formula Big & Puff started is one of the main reasons hip-hop is so fucked up today! Dude’s is still rapping about the exact same shit BIG rapped about with lame r&b hooks just to try and get played on the radio. Back then, even Big L (MVP Summer Smooth Remix) and Group Home (Suspended In Time Remix) fell victim to the R&B remix with the of garnering a few extra spins…

Comment by neil nice 09.19.05 @

Exactly. Remember how annoying the “Big Poppa” remix was?

“Party & Bullshit” is still the best Biggie song as far as I’m concerned.

Comment by Robbie 09.19.05 @

haha. premo needs to quit or make another dope beat. jeru is done. nice post

Comment by jkg 09.20.05 @

I always liked Biggie’s r&b joints. He’s one of the few rappers who could do that style well and the whole Bad Boy production steelo was straight loops so it was butta. Don’t see any problem with “one more chance” remix, especially since Kid Capri also used that sample on “billy”. Capri had those dope macked out love jams like “whisper” and “this is what you came here for” too.

I like the “big poppa” remix, despite the appearance of Jermaine Dupri. ‘Puba also repped the Ron G-ish r&b/rap style correctly.

I don’t really like the Finesse beat on the “come on” (i got it from the Finesse site but don’t have it at hand). “Suicidal thoughts” on the other hand is some classic moody shit.

Comment by Brian Beck From Wisconsin 09.20.05 @

I’d certainly rather hear a Biggie song about mackin’ over a classic Isleys loop than De La’s self-righteous, preachy backpacker manifesto on “stake is high”.

Comment by Brian Beck From Wisconsin 09.20.05 @

True. I blame De La Soul for that whole Blackstar fiasco as well.

Comment by Robbie 09.20.05 @

Thankfully, anti-social, ignorant New York rap is back on the map

That’s sarcasm, right?

Comment by Lotuz 09.20.05 @

True. I blame De La Soul for that whole Blackstar fiasco as well.

the fuck does this mean?

Comment by Anonymous 09.20.05 @

yea, De La were very preachy and still are but don’t tell me you can read these lyrics and not feel something. Everything they said still holds true almost 10 years later and they’re still making good records and still rocking great sell out shows so don’t hate…

oh. and your boy Diddy is and will always be hip-hop cancer. even Big’s mother says it!

POS:
The instamatic focal point bringing damage to your boroughs
Be some brothers from the east with some beats that be thorough
Got the solar gravitation so I’m bound to pull it
I gets down like brothers are found ducking from bullets
Gun control means using both hands in my land
Where it’s all about the cautious livin’
Migrating to a higher form of consequence compliments
Of strugglin’ that shouldn’t be notable,
Man every word I say should be a hip hop quotable.
DOVE:
I’m sick of bitches shakin’ asses
I’m sick of talkin’ about blunts,
Sick of Versace glasses,
Sick of slang,
Sick of half-ass awards shows,
Sick of name brand clothes.
Sick of R&B bitches over bullshit tracks,
Cocaine and crack
Which brings sickness to blacks,
Sick of swoll’ head rappers
With their sicker-than raps
Clappers and gats
Makin’ the whole sick world collapse
The facts are gettin’ sick
Even sicker perhaps
Stickabush to make a bundle to escape this synapse
POS:
Man life can get all up in your ass baby you betta work it out
Let me tell you what it’s all about
A skin not considered equal
A meteor has more right than my people
Who be wastin’ time screaming who they’ve hated
That’s why the Native Tongues have officially been re-instated
(Vibes….vibrations)
Stakes is high
(Higher than high)
You know them stakes is high
(Higher than high)
When we talkin’ ’bout the
(Vibes….vibrations)
Stakes is high, you know them stakes is high
When we dealin’ with the
(Vibes….vibrations)
Stakes is high
(Hey yo, what about that love?)
POS:
Yo, it’s about love for cars, love for funds
Loving to love mad sex, loving to love guns
Love for opposite, love for fame and wealth
Love for the fact of no longer loving yourself, kid
We living in them days of the man-made ways
Where every aspect is vivid,
these brothers no longer talk shit
Hey yo, these niggas live it
‘Bout to give it to you 24/7 on the microphone
Plug One translating the zone
No offense to a player, but yo, I don’t play
And if you take offense, fuck it, got to be that way
J.D. Dove, show your love, what you got to say?
DOVE:
I say G’s are making figures at a high regard
And niggas dying for it nowadays ain’t odd
Investing in fantasies and not God
Welcome to reality, see times is hard
People try to snatch the credit, but can’t claim the card
Showing out in videos, saying they cold stars
See, shit like that will make your mama cry
Better watch the way you spend it
‘Cause the stakes is high
Y’all know them stakes is high
When we talkin’ ’bout the
(Vibes….vibrations)
Stakes is high
I think that smiling in public is against the law
‘Cause love don’t get you through life no more
It’s who you know and “How you, son?”
And how you gettin’ in, and who the man holding
Hey yo, and how was the scams and how high
Yo what up, huh? I heard you caught a body
Seem like every man and woman shared a life with John Gotti
POS:
But they ain’t organized!
DOVE:
Mixing crimes with life enzymes
Taking the big scout route
And niggas know doubt better
Than they know their daughters
And their sons
(Oh boy)
POS:
Yo, people go through pain and still don’t gain
Positive contact just like my main man
Who got others cleaning up his physical influence
His mind got congested
He got the nine and blew it
Neighborhoods are now hoods cause nobody’s neighbors
Just animals surviving with that animal behavior
Under I who be rhyming from dark to light sky
Experiments when needles and skin connect
No wonder where we live is called the projects
When them stakes is high you damn sure try to do
Anything to get the piece of the pie
Electrify
Even die for the cash
But at last I be out even though you wantin’ more
This issue is closed like an elevator door
But soon re-opened once we get to the next floor where the
(Vibes….vibrations)
Stakes is high
Y’all know them stakes is high
When we talkin’ ’bout the
(Vibes….vibrations)
Stakes is high
Stakes is high, come on

Comment by neil nice 09.20.05 @

“Sick of R&B bitches over bullshit tracks”

That describes most of the music on the two AOI albums. A little hypocritical, ain’t it?

“That’s sarcasm, right?”

Nope. I’m serious like Steady B.

Comment by Robbie 09.20.05 @

“Sick of R&B bitches over bullshit tracks”

—————————————————-

Yea, that’s always been a valid argument but it ain’t about that man. The point i was trying to make was, before Biggie and Puffy set off the corny rap over r&b tracks shit, hip-hop on the radio and t.v. was all around more raw. Think about it man, when Juicy and One More Chance Remix started to really blow, i was listening to Show and AG’s “Goodfellas” album, O.C. “Word..Life” and Beatnuts “Street Level” album. after that, pretty much all the top MC’s at the time fell victim to the same rap over r&b tracks aesthetic. shit was like cancer and Puffy pretty much started it so that’s why i’ll forever call him hip-hop cancer ya dig?

Comment by neil nice 09.20.05 @

There’s no doubt that Puff put the whole rap game in a headlock, but if it wasn’t him then some other jerky would’ve cashed in on rap’s growing popularity. It’s not his fault that most of New York followed him like blind sheep.

Comment by Robbie 09.20.05 @

Some interesting stuff here. Firstly, whatever XXL might think, ‘Life after death’ isn’t a classic album. It has some amazing stuff on it, but it’s beyond flabby and has some really dismal material on there as well. Biggie was dope, but just because dude died doesn’t make him the greatest. Rakim still gets that accolade. I love Jeru, but yes he was a little anti-fun, although it’s nice to have that balance in hip-hop. Criticisms of De La just don’t cut it, however. They’ve dropped more classics than everyone mentioned on this post.

Comment by Drew Huge 09.21.05 @

“Criticisms of De La just don’t cut it, however. They’ve dropped more classics than everyone mentioned on this post”

I don’t think anyone would deny that, but there’s no escaping the fact that things haven’t been the same in Amityville since Prince Paul broke north. He seems to have taken their sense of humour with him.

Comment by Robbie 09.21.05 @

Agreed. Minus Prince Paul, De La are more or less worthless other than, at most, 6 songs as they lost what made the the first 3 albums so great : the quirky humor and crazy production where anything was fair game to sample.

Heh @ Puffy being “hip hop cancer”. Loosen up your jansport, kid. I don’t see how Biggie was wack for making commercial tracks but yet you’re bigging up De La who made the likes of “me myself and i”, “rollerskating jam..” etc. What’s the difference? Selective backpacker listening methinks and since rappers have been making smooth cuts for the ladies since the likes of the mack o.g Spoonie Gee your point is null and void.

I know this is hard for faggot backpackers to comprehend but it’s actually possible to enjoy “juicy” and DITC rekkids.

Bad Boy as a singles label > Rawkus as a singles label.

Comment by Brian Beck From Wisconsin 09.21.05 @

Hell, Bad Boy > Rawkus in general.

Comment by Brian Beck From Wisconsin 09.21.05 @

Rawkus is so fuckin’ over-rated it’s not funny. Only about four or five of their 12″s are worth owning (not including shit they distributed).

Comment by Robbie 09.21.05 @

Interesting article from way back on why it’s easy to hate on Diddy. Anybody remember this hilarious little stint back in 97?

“Back in 1997, when Sean “Puffy” Combs was a pop-cultural presence of Zelig-like ubiquity, an enterprising graffiti artist tagged billboards for Hot 97 featuring Puffy with this memorable phrase: I KILLED HIP-HOP.”

And to Mr Brian Beck: Didnt all 3 of these cats record great notable albums or 12 inches with Rawkus? It’s funny how the tables turn for us “backpackers” …

May 30th,2005 (http://www.thesituation.co.uk/usartists.html)

Finally, Pharoahe Monch has been enlisted as the latest ghostwriter for P. Diddy’s new album. Pharoahe is just one of a selection of artists recruited by Combs in a bid to boost the political content of his forthcoming album. Earlier in the year, it was revealed that Common, Talib Kweli and Kanye West were set to pen lyrics for the Bad Boy entrepreneur.

Hell even Jay-Z is sweating us these days…

And to my local NYC peeps who went to the sold out Little Brother show in Times Square last week, wasn’t it interesting to see the one and only Lyor Cohen and Kevin Liles in the house? Or what about when 9th Wonder brought T.I. out on stage?

Yo Brian, i know you’re way out in bum fuck Wisconsin, but if you haven’t already noticed, the times are forever changing. Leave your little “faggot backpacker” comments back on the farm. They’re not welcome anymore chump…

Comment by neil nice 09.21.05 @

Comment by jose g.r. 09.21.05 @

Who really cares who writes Puffy’s rhymes? He’ll still be boring to listen to.

Comment by Lotuz 09.22.05 @

I don’t know why Puffy would want Kweli to write his rhymes since Puffy has always been far better rapper than him. Even Puff’s debut 1992 on wax, the quasi-grimey/proto-crazy-white-rapper-with-a-spolit-child-voice rap style on “dolly my baby” remix is better than Kweli’s gay lisp.

“All about the benjamins”, “victory”, “young g’s” + “bad boy 4 life” > Kweli’s entire career and more “real hip hop” than 95% most of the trash that passes for underground rap today.

Why is Neil Nice a Wicked-ish cornball who catches feelings..?
why he think listening to derivative Pete Rock rip off fruity loops beats like 9th wonder is so appealing..?

Why..?

Little Brother are little more than a 2nd rate Slum Village, who were little more than a 5th rate ATCQ circa their last two albums. I don’t give a fuck if Jesus appeared at their last show to schmooze with Lyor, they’re still rehashing an old style (and very badly) hence they’re boring and worthless. I’ll tell you who should’ve been at that show – a columbian death squad armed with flamethrowers to wipe out the pondlife who performed and attended it.

Instead of desperately searching the net for pointless articles (“OMG sum1 sez Puffy sux ROFL”) like the scorned wet bitch you are why don’t you answer my questions, Neil..

How are tracks like “juicy” and “one more chance” remix different from the old smooth jams that Flash & Furious Five, Spoonie Gee etc used to make..? Or Coldcrush Brothers harmonzing live..? How are they different from De La’s commercial joints like “rollerskating jam..”? And how are they different from tracks like the old Biz tracks with T.J Swann on the hook, “teenage love” + “hey young world” by Slick Rick, “lovesick” + “ex girl to next girl” by Gang Starr, “mahogany” and “what’s on your mind” by Eric B & Rakim, “lots of lovin” + “tell me” by Pete & C.L, “this is what you came here for” by Kid Capri, “check it out” by Grand Puba & Mary J…??

Please tell me, without the aid of posting an article about god knows what or lyrics to a Krs One song, where the difference lies.

This is the main thing i detest about these corny, revisionist backpackers : they’re all newjacks who started listening to rap in the 1993 when “36 chambers” came out and have no concept or understanding of early 80s rap or Kid Capri or D.J Ron G blends tapes and how r&b and disco are just as important to rap as funk and soul. Neil will deny that he’s a newjack but niggaz know. Hur hur hur. Niggaz know.

Gay “real hip hop” jansport wearers like NeilNice are what’s ruined hip hop, not rap tracks

I know this might be hard for someone like you to understand, Neil, but my name isn’t really Brian Beck and i’m not actually from Wisconsin.

Comment by Brian Beck From Wisconsin 09.22.05 @

^ not rap tracks that sample r&b classics and have sung hooks that should’ve read.

Comment by Brian Beck From Wisconsin 09.22.05 @

“Nas said “Kick in the Door” was aimed at him on “Last Real Nigga Alive” from the God’s Son album.”

Nas says a lot of dumb shit.

Comment by madtapes 09.22.05 @

————————

i started listening to hip-hop in 83 (or “rap” as it was called back then.)

In your eyes, even though you have never met me and wouldn’t have the balls to say any of the ignorant shit you said about me to my face, i will be a “corny revisionist backpacker.”

well Brian, or whatever your “real” name is, my real name Neil Nice, i live in Do or Die Bed Stuy Brooklyn and you can eat shit and die….chump.

oh and that group called Little Brother that you dismissed as a “little more than a 2nd rate Slum Village, who were little more than a 5th rate ATCQ circa their last two albums.” Just received a perfect 5 star review from allhiphop.com, i think the Source might’ve even gave it a 4.5 or something. in any case dog, shit is dope now so let me go strap on my Northface backpack (not Jansport biyatch!)

Comment by neil nice 09.22.05 @

I don’t wanna know your life story, faggot, go get a livejournal account.

Thanks for not answering the question, Neil.

Some internet website and the source, a magazine which just gave Lil’ Kim’s new album 5 mics, say the Little Brother album is good. Wow, that proves it then.

Comment by Brian Beck From Wisconsin 09.23.05 @

wow they got a perfect 5 star review eh ? Heh heh how old are you REALLY ?

Comment by Grinshaw 09.24.05 @

FYI-allhiphop.com is to relevant hip-hop reviews what the Source was to relevant hip-hop reviews over 10 years ago.

and may i add that Phonte of Little Brother also received a hip-hop quotable and we all know that still amounts to something…

yea, Little Kim’s album pretty much sucks but who gives a fuck, she’s in jail, and your salty ass should be too chump!

Comment by neil nice 09.26.05 @

Brian Beck, I get what youre sayin. Some of the “purists” take hip hop a little too seriously. There’s room for Puffy, because hip hop is about gettin down and jiggy or whatever too. It’s not always about o I represent Queens to the death! Homie, hip hop is about balance. With that said, Beck, are u out of ur mind for sayin Talib was worse for rap than Puff? If anything, u need to check the hate comin out of ur own mouth as well.

Comment by Mtoda A 09.26.05 @

O yeah, Little Brother, they’re good for hip hop. The game needs this shit right now, so stop hatin

Comment by Mtoda A 09.26.05 @

“Phonte of Little Brother also received a hip-hop quotable and we all know that still amounts to something…”

I’ve got an issue of the Source that gives one of the Made Men “Rhyme of the Month”, which shoots that whole arguement to shit.

As for Minstrel Show being denied 5 mics…I’ve heard it, and there is nothing about that album that could convince me that people will be listening to it in a couple of years time in the same way as Criminal Minded, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… or Ready To Die.

I’d rather listen to Slum Village if given the choice. The rapping might be worse but at least the drums knock.

Comment by Robbie 09.26.05 @

Little brother is overrated.

Based on the fact that they talk about NOTHING.

Beats are hot, jazzy and mellow, but they don’t change much, and outside of the lines about not going to coffee shops to see niggz w/ “sandals and capris on”, and the banger w/ kanye about “since then I’ve been treating fat girls difft’ly”, nothing they’ve ever spit (or that I’ve heard) is meaningful at all, unless you’re a fellow beatmaker tryna blow up in Raleigh, NC.

No hate, not taking sides in this backpack thing, but maybe there’s such a void left by Tribe, etc, that many people wait in line to sniff 9th’s jizz.

Yadidamean?

(thanks for having me, found the link thru NickDubs)

Comment by dame 09.27.05 @

and I’ll be the 1st to say this, (and I’m from Oakland, Ca). blackalicious won’t blow up because they’re FAT.

image is not everything, but it’s something..

and not biggie/sexy fat (nullus), just FAT.

Yadidamean?

Comment by dame 09.27.05 @

Actually, that “son, I’m suprised you run with ‘em” line is directed toward AZ rolling with Nas because he felt Nas bit his formula for the It Was Written album “now they on some money shit, successful out the blue”

Comment by Bed Stuy Bobby 09.27.05 @

Little brother is overrated.

Based on the fact that they talk about NOTHING.

———————————————-

Yo Dame, i challenge you to read (or listen to lyrics) to Little Brother’s “all for you” and say that Phonte “talks about NOTHING”
for real, both Phonte and Pooh can rhyme their asses off and they do say dope relevant shit, you just gotta listen.

i’ll be honest and say i too feel the album isn’t a classic album by any means but by today’s standards, with all the horrible horrible shit that’s coming out daily (and believe me we’re at an all time low!) i respect the brother’s for doing their thing and not falling into all the bullshit cliche’s popping off right now. you know the story “cash, clothes and hoes, all a nigga knows” oh and don’t forget about “all dem birds i be pushin…’” shit is so fuckin’ sad and tired yo…

i pretty much live dead smack in the hood and i see how that shit effects the community. i don’t need to hear rappers all day everyday on the radios and the mixtapes encouraging it…

Comment by neil nice 09.27.05 @

————————————-

do we really need to revisit the trials and tribulations of Mr Ray Benzino again? dude is officially a wrap now and we all already know that story. point is the Source is still a very strong brand and they’re still employing great writers and thinkers. one of those cats was my man Joshua “Fahiym” Ratcliffe. he gave Phonte the hip-hop quotable and the 4.5 mic rating. it wasn’t until Benzino stepped in and tried to reduce the review to a 4 that Fayhiym decided to bounce. shit was pretty much the straw that broke the camel’s back if you will. with all the shady shit that’s been going on over there for so many years Fayhiym just felt it was time to move on. he had no obligation to Atlantic or Little Brother, like T.I. says, he was just doing his job. you gotta respect that…

Comment by neil nice 09.27.05 @

Neil Nice, you’re a HERB.

I don’t know why Puffy would want Kweli to write his rhymes since
Puffy has always been far better rapper than him. Even Puff’s debut
1992 on wax, the
quasi-grimey/proto-crazy-white-rapper-with-a-spolit-child-voice rap
style on “dolly my baby” remix is better than Kweli’s gay lisp.

“All about the benjamins”, “victory”, “young g’s” + “bad boy 4 life” >
Kweli’s entire career and more “real hip hop” than 95% most of the
trash that passes for underground rap today.

Why is Neil Nice a Wicked-ish cornball who catches feelings..?
why he think listening to derivative Pete Rock rip off fruity loops
beats like 9th wonder is so appealing..?

Why..?

Little Brother are little more than a 2nd rate Slum Village, who were
little more than a 5th rate ATCQ circa their last two albums. I don’t
give a fuck if Jesus appeared at their last show to schmooze with
Lyor, they’re still rehashing an old style (and very badly) hence
they’re boring and worthless. I’ll tell you who should’ve been at that
show – a columbian death squad armed with flamethrowers to wipe out
the pondlife who performed and attended it.

Instead of desperately searching the net for pointless articles (“OMG
sum1 sez Puffy sux ROFL”) like the scorned wet bitch you are why don’t
you answer my questions, Neil..

How are tracks like “juicy” and “one more chance” remix different from
the old smooth jams that Flash & Furious Five, Spoonie Gee etc used to
make..? Or Coldcrush Brothers harmonzing live..? How are they
different from De La’s commercial joints like “rollerskating jam..”?
And how are they different from tracks like the old Biz tracks with
T.J Swann on the hook, “teenage love” + “hey young world” by Slick
Rick, “lovesick” + “ex girl to next girl” by Gang Starr, “mahogany”
and “what’s on your mind” by Eric B & Rakim, “lots of lovin” + “tell
me” by Pete & C.L, “this is what you came here for” by Kid Capri,
“check it out” by Grand Puba & Mary J.??

Please tell me, without the aid of posting an article about god knows
what or lyrics to a Krs One song, where the difference lies.

This is the main thing i detest about these corny, revisionist
backpackers : they’re all newjacks who started listening to rap in the
1993 when “36 chambers” came out and have no concept or understanding
of early 80s rap or Kid Capri or D.J Ron G blends tapes and how r&b
and disco are just as important to rap as funk and soul. Neil will
deny that he’s a newjack but niggaz know. Hur hur hur. Niggaz know.

Gay “real hip hop” jansport wearers like NeilNice are what’s ruined
hip hop, not rap tracks

A to the L
“if someone made a pie with lil jon’s face baked on it that would be amazing”
————————————————————————————————-
Contradictory Hiphop truth with a bitter and twisted attitude

Comment by A to the L 09.28.05 @

yall need to relax and enjoy the music. ima dj and threw that I learned, yall a bunch of stuck up bitches

Comment by pecachon 09.28.05 @

check this out, its a conversation i had with my friend about you guys “KID
10:04 if they could spent that much time on women, theyd be players
ben
10:04 they spend it on acq typing in hot keywords to get theirs” lol! yall need to play sports or something, relieve this tension.

Comment by pecachon 09.28.05 @

check this out, its a conversation i had with my friend about you guys “KID
10:04 if they could spent that much time on women, theyd be players
ben

————————————————

Lol!

word…life.

Comment by neil nice 09.28.05 @

The only people who didn’t like all those good rap/r&b crossover joints in the 90s were no-game-having chumps who were either invisible to pussy or just incapable of procuring any for their possession.

Comment by Kevin 09.30.05 @

Check out vinyl addicts!

Comment by Lotuz 10.01.05 @

co-sign. songs can be about the context you hear them in. Joe Budden ‘Pump It Up’ was a good club joint but not the sort of shit I play at home, like SOP ‘Styles’ which would clear most floors

Comment by step one 10.01.05 @

i love my de la backpackin’ stuff and my biggie/puff r’n'b. its 2005 there’s room for it all , get with it. when i’m in a club tryin’ to get my mack on i don’t wana b dancing to fuckin’ sage francis but it doesnt mean i won’t rock him on the bus ride home.

little brother are overated i wish they werent but they are. read the pitchfork review for the truth on the minstrel show. you LB lovers are just jumping on because theyre the closest thing to ATCQ on ’05 . do yourself a favour and give cool calm pete a listen. i can just imagine what this guy could rock with a big budget (ghostface , slick rick cameo’s/maybe some premo , just blaze and even one little bland 9th wonder beat to keep the kids happy)

Comment by 4x4 10.03.05 @

“I don’t know why Puffy would want Kweli to write his rhymes since
Puffy has always been far better rapper than him”

This is comedy on sooooo many levels. Puffy is a better rapper than….NOBODY!

Comment by Lefty Laroux 10.06.05 @

Interesting mid 90′s interview with Biggie where he’s asked to rate certain rappers of that time….

“He sits and reflects on what we have asked and offers, “I’m into fly pimp, straight flat shit. I don’t like no nigga that I have to decipher but some nigga that I don dicipher I give a ten…Nas, I give Jeru a ten, I give ummmmm?…. ”

peep the link for the rest of the article…

Biggie Interview

Comment by neil nice 10.07.05 @

Check out this other interview with a cat who used to have beef with Jeru.

Comment by Rafi 10.17.05 @

I dig your comments at the end. Waaaaaaaaa, Now yo do the math.Waaaaaaaaaaaa

Comment by D.F.MALO 11.09.05 @

i cant stand talib @ all but he crushes puffy. ive scene dudes on mcdonalds commercials that can take puffy out……………..

Comment by lo71 11.10.05 @

Comment by adamzBK 11.16.05 @

Hey can you guys do a feature on STEZO vs EPMD?! Apparently there’s an unreleased STEZO EPMD dis track and I’d like to hear it if anyone’s got it.

Comment by finally 01.17.06 @

My dos centos.

“Thankfully, anti-social, ignorant New York rap is back on the map while Plugs 1 & 2 have been reduced to rapping over 9th Wonder beats.”

Everything anti-social and ignorant is privlaged these days. Don’t ever let it B negroes doin’ b/c ita sell like hot cakes.

From stop snitchin>>>>Whisper Song>>>>Its hard out here for a Pimp>>>

Comment by reninatronix 02.28.06 @

hey does anyone have that commercial of orange juice by Jeru?

Comment by Gyulyasuk 06.01.06 @

I’ve got that ad on a tape somewhere. If I ever dig it up I’ll post it.

Comment by Robbie 06.01.06 @

hey Robbie can you dig that up please!

Comment by Gyulyasuk 06.05.06 @

btw here is a quote by Premier on that beat:

“Ten Crack Commandments” was really a promo for Angie Martinez’s show on HOT97 called “The Hot 5 at 9.” She would play the top five songs at nine o’clock, so that’s why I scratched [Chuck D’s voice]: One, two, three, four, five. And then, six, seven, eight, nine at the end, to make sure people got it: Hot 5 at 9. Biggie and Puff heard that promo ’cause they was at the radio that day and were like, “Who did that promo?” The [radio station] was like, “Premier did it.” Biggie and Puff were like, “That’s crazy! We want to do a song to that.”

Comment by Gyulyasuk 06.08.06 @

There was never a beef between Jeru and Biggie and friend or foe is not a gangstarr diss song.If u Listen to the lyrics it about some one he grew up with in brooklyn.Primo is from Texas guru is from Boston…as Far as the Ten Crack Commadments Primo and Biggie asked Jeru could use the beat. The author of this artical dosent know what the fuck he’s talkin about. Jeru And biggie talked till the day he died,actually Jeru is one of the first people to know Biggie died when he got shoot…and guess who called him and told him??? Primo…Lil Kim has and always shouts out Jeru to this day. Ther was no finacial beef between…AfuRa never sold weed. Oh and by the why the show in canada was free for the people Jeru got paid.Robbie just because u have a computer dosent make u a journalist. Know what the fuck u talkin about before u sit in front of ur pc.Peace

Comment by Jeru the Damaja 07.17.06 @

I just got around to reading this….Puffy better than Kweli??!?? People are entitled to their own opinion, but sometimes people talk (or write) without thiking. I say bring on that McDonald’s cat, or Super Dup (the Burger King DJ) to battle Puff.

Comment by Big Spice 09.28.06 @

snow was better than puffy

Comment by c.s 09.28.06 @

“Back to Biggie which started all this….What Biggie songs get played on commerical NY radio today? “Juicy”,”Dreams of F*&@ing and R/B b!@%&.” and “big Poppa” A kinda fake (Biggie didn’t live in the projects with rats and roaches, as a matter of fact, two bedroom apts in his old building are probably goin for $1500 nowadys) rags to riches song, a silly sex rap, and, essentially, an R&B song…the hardcore shit..the “gimme the loot”- “the what?” shit, never gets played. And that’s the shit he himself has intimated was the most him, the grimey shit…look at any interview back then, from 94-95, all he talks about is how he was feelin wu-tang and MOP, raw shit. Puff’s influene over him was too big..if he would’ve never went commercial and stayed, even moderately underground, not only would he probably not have been shot, but he also would’ve continued to make better songs..anyone who came out of listening to early 90s NY shit knows that 60% of “Life after death” is garbage..they just don’t want to admit it cuz they think it’s disrespectful…we’ve gotta start being honest about this.”
________________________________________________

PLEASE… come on with the tree-huggin’ backpack bullshit.

It IS very possible to like both raw, street hip-hop and the smoother shit that was gettin’ play on the radio at that time. Sometimes I think the only people who seperate the two are the fans themselves. If the shit is GOOD, then who cares hat “kind” of hip-hop it is? There was a time when we were lucky to get ANY hip-hop played ANYWHERE, so I think we tend to take alot of shit for granted nowadays.

And if BIG had stuck to doin’ strictly underground records, you’re right- he might still be here. But then again, there’s also a chance that we wouldn’t even be on here talkin’ about him today and he’d have been another largely-forgotten MC from that era who never really went anywhere. BIG was in the hip-hop game playin’ to win, to succeed, and to be at the top- not to pander to a bunch of people who wanna keep artists in one mold, meanwhile not even goin’ to the stores to cop their shit half the time.

Comment by DanjaMania 09.28.06 @

say i think all these guys are great and shit so no point on having beef against each other they both speak true lyrics and shit but some got better skills

Comment by Cmasta 11.15.06 @

Jeru has beef agains the Fugees on the song Black cowboys so its pretty straight saying some emcees wanna bring it and i think a female is one of there strongest because with out her the fugees wouldnt be shit

Comment by MastaMonk 11.15.06 @

I tought fugees had beef with the wu?

Comment by MastaMonk 11.15.06 @

Man, possibly the worst beef in recent history…

…have to be JMoney and DJ Lucky Luke vs. Big Herbs. These cats started out friends, but how it goes, the money came between them. This dude Big Herbs bitched out and didn’t wanna rhyme with J$ and LL no more. It would have been okay, but then he had the nerve to start dissing J$ and LL. Well, although Herbs held his own on track production, he wasn’t a skilled rapper. Fortunately, both J$ and LL could rap and produce, so in 2001, they began what would later be known as the “Battle of Haygood.” Their first track about Herbs was simply titled: “Fuck Big Herbs.” It was released with rave reviews and put Herbs’ career in jeopardy if he didn’t respond. He didn’t… “Fuck Big Herbs (remix)” was released with the lyrics updated to reflect current events such as a drunk Herbs pissing his pants. Shortly after, “Fuck That Nigga” was released targeting both Herbs and Keven Ghodasara. “Big Pimpin on Big Herbs” was a remake of Jay-Z’s classic “Big Pimpin” and featured newcomer to the scene, BIG JON. Afterwards, a small break was taken and new residencies were established. After J$ and LL settled into a new studio, the release “Fuck Big Herbs Part 5″ which would later be proclaimed by a 3rd party as “the nail in the coffin” for Big Herbs. Finally, after nearly 30 minutes of raw diss songs had been released against his name, Big Herbs responded with “The Comeback.” By then, his fate was sealed and his song was laughed out of most hearings and Big Herbs, himself, became more reclusive, later washing out of the business altogether. JMoney and DJ Lucky Luke are still releasing music until this day and now have over 70 songs in their arsenal. We will forever miss you Big Herbs, you fag…

Comment by DJ Lucky Luke 02.27.07 @

99.9 percent of the rappers just don’t have nothing to say. Lyricly, they keep repeating the same sh*t since biggie/pac era. They dont bring nothing new to the table, just tryin to convince you they are the badest m/f. and you aint sh*t. . Because a rap song have so many words in it, I want to find a meaning in there, otherwise why we just dont listen to instrumental music or some pop/rap/corny/ignorant/booty/music

Jeru lyrics are coscious, they make sense, he is smart and educated man. There is a reason for that, hes mom was a teacher and he used to read a lot of books.

All in one: there are thousonds of ignorant mcs who dont say nothing different and teher is only one Jeru!!! Thanx god he is still alive and keep droping rhymes.

Comment by yordamija 03.06.07 @

Whatever, Biggies RB joints were hot. Some people could do it well, some couldn’t. I’m so sick of backpack faggots talking about shit like they were doing anything other than eating pbj’s wiping snot off there baby faces during those times. Yeah, Juicy was a commercial/radio friendly hit, but it still bumped. The same goes for the One More Chance remix. The lyrics were nice, the hook, and the beat…and it wasnt over done or watered down to shit like what followed in the later years of hiphop.

Comment by quezoxx 03.14.07 @

but quezoxx…isn’t possible for people to just simply not like nor not be into R’n'b??? like others may simple not like or be into House, Techno, Reggae, Rock and so on or even they way girls may not be into HipHop

Comment by Kevin 03.15.07 @

I am a Biggie fan,but the brother was not the greatest to do it,he was the nicest of his generation though.You clearly hear the Kool G.Rap influence in his ryhme candence,even the slight lisp,but you can’t front,cristal or not,he could spit,any style.-Thatruth1023

Comment by Roger Jones 03.15.07 @

Jeru was good at what he does, but he always had somethin to say about someone.. for real. The fugees, puffy, fox brown, biggie.. like dude needs to just grind it out and do his thing.. stop talkin about other ppl.. see how far that gets u in life.. one

Comment by KN SON 03.17.07 @

Yo!!!!!! i thought i was gonna give my 2 pennies
on the Primo / Jeru / Notorious theory??? Wow!!
this is ill!! Neil you do have points and Brain makes MAJOR points (De La’s last 3 installments have been wack ) but as far as i can remember dudes that i used to see in (MECCA) wearing BACKPACKS were actually stickup kids with the weapons(shotty) stashed in the (BACK) …… not educational material(lol) or ORGANIZED KONFUSION/BOOGIE MONSTERS cassette tapes etc….. This was a NYC look that was a trend for years …. kids used to get pulled up for not being in school, especially around where i used to live.I dont know where most of yall reside??? but most natives(NYC) have not(s)
and will never drive or own a car in this lifetime, simply no need to!!That ‘BACKPACKER’ term is wack,just save that shit for your city or suburb…… and call any dude you see preaching
the GOSPEL of any wack underground group just a plain ol’ CORNBALL !!!

Comment by setrule 03.18.07 @

“Party and Bullshit” is the best song he ever recorded. “Ready To Die” was an okay album….not a classic….although, him fucking Lil Kim all in your ear was very engaging at that age. Jeru was the man.
“Mental Stamina” & “Physical Stamina”??? whew…concepts, ideas, teachings….he had it. Biggie got lazy. If he was still alive, he’d be doing the corny shit everyone is doing right now.

Comment by jux55 03.18.07 @

Wow this post is old.All this speculating from the outside is wack to me.Like all these so caled fans saying what their favorite record is.And hip hop died inside and all this weird shit.Biggie and Jeru were both dope.end of story. I wish people on this site would made a damn hip hop record and stop talking like groupies/wendy williams.It’s all love though peace.

Comment by MERCILESZ 03.19.07 @

oh yeah Hip Hop was dead before Illmatic came out.I’d say It was dead by 1990. u know the rise of Hammer.Latin Quarter, Union Square,Fever,T-Connection,the Roxy, all that shit was gone by 1990.Thats Hip Hop.Not this commercial shit.MTV is responsible for alot of u kids ever hearing anything at all.U shud thank Viacom for bringing u into our world gotdammit. 1

Comment by MERCILESZ 03.19.07 @

Oh and that Backpacker shit is true.We all used to wear Backpacks cuz we didn’t have cars.Fuck labels

Comment by MERCILESZ 03.19.07 @

What I do find funny though, is how some of the same people that defend Biggie for his R’n'b joints used to shit on Kane and LL for doing R’n'b joints…have you noticed that MERCILESZ??? also MERCILESZ did you ever go to the Latin Quarters??

Comment by Kevin 03.19.07 @

Mercilesz was a baby when that shit was poppin. However MercZ knows he came up when Hip Hop was dead. Mercz used to stay up as a child and tape bls and kiss fm. Did u do that Kevin?

Comment by MERCILESZ 03.19.07 @

Well my older brother just made the tapes, and I just listened, as for those groundbreaking memorable HipHop clubs I missed out on them cos I too was too young…but MERCILESZ, can you here what I’m saying regarding the irony about how some of the same people that defend Biggie for his R’n’b joints used to shit on Kane and LL for doing R’n’b joints???

Comment by Kevin 03.19.07 @

Kevin these dudes are not fans.Worse yet, they are fans.They like what clear channel and Viacom tell em to like.These major labels sell these dudes anything and they love it.Thats why they defend Big but diss kane and LL,They had a Biggie tape but heard about the aforementioned 2 mc’s second hand and wanna act like hip hop historians now.Kev on some real shit most of the dudes that post on this site prob got Biggie as their 1st Hip Hop tape.it iz what it iz.

Comment by MERCILESZ 03.20.07 @

btw . there is no hip-hop without the rythym and blues foundation.

Comment by MERCILESZ 03.20.07 @

MERCILESZ…I know what your saying, one of the ironies I’ve noticed in HipHop is how people (elders included) get so caught up in quote on quote “moving with the times” that they develop a selective memory…I mean I’m not saying I don’t adjust with the times, but I keep a full perspective on things and don’t develop that selective memory…and the times we are in of HipHop today is chapter two of Star Wars which is ATTACK OF THE CLONES

Comment by Kevin 03.20.07 @

u can put it like that

Comment by MERCILESZ 03.20.07 @

Too Bad this turned into a agrument about commercial vs underground rap. Hip Hop used to have more structure to it. So even when an artist did release a r&b or radio friendly song more than a decade ago it still had core hip hop beat with good lyrics. The reason most records get hated on today because #1, the song is just is just a jingle with synthetic keyboard or orchestrated beat with so-so lyrics and a memorable catchy hook. #2, With music today there is no variety in what we listen to. I remember at one time seeing Kwame, NWA, Red Head Kingpin & De La Soul on tour together. Too Bad we don’t get that anymore. To make another comment about lyrical content as well. Rapper in the golden era of the music wore way more jewlery than rappers do today but you heard less about there truck jewlery. I like commercial and underground music but honestly think about this. Would an R&B fan listen a singer who can’t sing? HELL NO! Then why the fuck should a Hip Hop fan listen to a rapper who can’t rap?

Comment by Swordzman Brown 04.24.07 @

YO i got that gangstarr dis friends. you need it

Comment by Risky Bizness 05.01.07 @

ALL OF YOU’S SHUT UP!

Comment by SILENTSOMEONE 05.02.07 @

wow! i thoguth i’d just add my $19.14 into this rap talk. rap in today’s generation has changed and we all know that. my homies and i talk about it everyday. for most of you to say that ready to die isn’t a classic need you head examined. if it weren’t for that album, the west would still be knocking down the buildings. it’s funny now you say that it isn’t a classic and this and that. yall are the same ones who at that time was probably buyuing like 4 and 5 copies. give the man albums the respect they deserve. b.i.g. is an animal and will murda the rap scene today. a natural story teller. as for him rapping on r&b beats, is it really that serious?! let me guess, pac doesn’t have a classic either?! in the words of flavor flav, wooooooooooooooooooooow!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by hoother 05.02.07 @

all that stuff hoother said isnt true.Biggie didnt have any anti west tracks.The only ones to get at Snoop was QBC-rather CNN,Trag,MoBB,and Royal Flush. But then again that was 10 years ago so alot of people weren’t really listening to rap then, u know?

Comment by MERCILESZ 05.02.07 @

hoother, the whole issue about rappin over R’n'b beats it’s not whether the track is good or bad, is that it boils down to artists publicising themselves as HipHop artists, when they spend alot time making R’n'b tracks…which also results to the way how alot of people cannot tell the difference between HipHop and R’n'b musically

Comment by Kevin 05.03.07 @

I just read all of these comments and all I can really say is most of you really can’t tell good hip hop from bad hip hop unless someone tells you. It doesn’t matter if it’s an r n b stlye biggie track or a hardcore underground biggie track, if you can’t tell whether the sound is good on your own then you just don’t know shit about hip hop.

Comment by Jtom 05.07.07 @

Jtom, could you please elaborate more, on after reading our comments you some how arrived to that conclusion that most of us cannot really can’t tell good hip hop from bad hip hop unless someone tells us???…especially when you said “if you can’t tell whether the sound is good on your own then you just don’t know shit about hip hop”….because last time I checked, that what sounds good to us own our own logic can be applied to can be applied to all forms of music not just HipHop…because like I said, it not about whether rap over r’n'b beats, jazz beats, blues beats, reggae beats, techno beats, or what ever kinda beats, it’s about what the tracks are musically….to please, to further understand where your coming from, please further elaborate on your comments

Comment by Kevin 05.08.07 @

All in one, f.. Puffy for putin Hip-hop in Versace suit, f.. those who dont have respect for the real NYC hiphop artists that were spitin in the 90s. F.. the teens who dont know about rap and where it started. F.. those who support wack rap releases because if it wasnt them buyn Pufy records, pdidy wouldnt have sold so many units of crap records. Finaly fu.. pop rap, f.. MTV and all the money in rap music. I wanna say it again -FUCK MTV!!!

Comment by yordamija 05.17.07 @

preemo is right…nas did destroy j…and jeru needs preemo. period!

Comment by power thun 06.23.07 @

Puff’s debut
1992 on wax, the
quasi-grimey/proto-crazy-white-rapper-with-a-spolit-child-voice rap
style on “dolly my baby” remix

hahahaha… that’s the best description i’ve ever heard of puff’s seizure he called a verse…

Comment by J Sliver 07.19.07 @

rap has always been about different flavours. if you can understand that we as listeners, probably dont want to listen to just one style of mc all the time then I think you may get the point. variety is definitely the spice of life and sadly what seems to be missing in todays rap. – though even some of that has its merrits.

Wrath of the math was the first lp i copped as Im relatively new to all this. I loved that lp – preemo gave some of his best beats up on that lp and it is solid.
Big is a different rapper and deserves his title, i enjoy his stuff for the wit, easy moe b’s beats and the begining of the whole bad boy thing.solid.

celebrate the differences, people. its what makes the world go round!

Keep up the blog. pure classic.

Comment by jbiz 08.14.07 @

to all you bitchez hatin on my mans jeru and big eatadickup motherfuckers
you lil hoes have never in your life fucked with niggas and think you can talk about them in here

@brian from wherever the fuck you from
eat a dick
@that dumb fuck talkin bout backpack wack fag
eat a dick
to the rest of you faggots i hope you choke on some huge dick

Comment by mr. bigdick 10.25.07 @

For those that are interested I am posting a copy of the Jeru diss to Gangstarr ‘Frien or Foe’ on my blog later on today.

Comment by scott 02.13.09 @

It look’s if you do somethin’of your past experience today is not valid in rap today.The values of music has been change to none sense.This is due to the mention above topic in this coments.I am going to be very critice because I did a rap tune About B.I.G.I new him too.Also Pac was cool with me.

Comment by Lorenzo Melendez 12.17.10 @

What the fuck is this last part supposed to mean? do what math? the fact that it doesnt matter who’s still doing tracks with who, biggie, jeru, and afu are all dope, along with premier, and they already all made history with that bangin shit so who cares

Comment by Pat 01.30.11 @

not gonna front ,when biggie and puffy started that shit,i was like what the fuck is this shit….but after awhile i was gettin my grove on with that same shit..what puffy did was make hip hop fun again,,and it worked..nobody can front on that..hip hop was always about havin fun..did we forget that!!!!!!!!!!!kane tried to do that same shit years before and we shitted on him for it ..his career went south …then yeatrs later biggie does the same shit and his career went north …go figure..i wouldnt say puffy is cancer what he did was remind us of our roots,hip hop went ganster..it was never about being gangsters…not at all…taht why biggie song party and bullshit is his best shit ever..that was pure hiphop…then puffy od with the r&b shit……i will admit puffy drowned hip hop with r&b….yes he did..but made it fun at the same time…bitches wasnt dancing to that gangster ill shoot u shit..we couldnt have fun with that shit…..all it did was promote more violence…that puffy shit helped nigges get more fly and more p@@@y….how is that a bad thing….some of my best years was to that shit…think about it……havin fun in the clubs ..drinkin dancing ..grovin with mad bitches…thats what puffy did…if biggei was here he woukld say the same thing …puffy got that nigga paid and mad p%%%y…..word

Comment by ok 01.30.11 @

Puffy is better than Kweli? You out of your fucking mind? And you can’t front on De La.. They are the most underappreciated rap group of all time. Yeah fuck it, I said it. That Stakes Is High shit was EXACTLY what was needed when it dropped.

Comment by BIGSPICE 01.31.11 @

Love Jeru, mans a beast

Comment by weer123 05.08.11 @

The track “One Day” of Jeru is so true in every aspect. Nobody messed up Hip Hop but Puffy and his crew.

Comment by Abdellatif Rochdi 12.05.12 @