J-Love and P-Tone – A Good Combination
Sunday October 16th 2005,
Filed under: Steady Bootleggin'

It’s almost that time of year again… a new Ghostface album is on the horizon. After checking out the “Be Easy” single with Pete Rock and the addictive “Kilos” (thanks to Soul Sides), I’m predicting Supreme Clientele quality from Starks. In the meantime, here’s a couple of essential J-Love produced white labels featuring the Ironman.

“Come On” is actually a remix of “Tony/Montana” from Cormega‘s Legal Hustle album, using a slightly altered version of the “Sugar Ray & Hearns” beat from the same LP. Ghost destroys shit as he flips an ill “rhyme the same word for the whole verse” technique with his usual energy, sounding better than ever, while Mega holds his own “I see it all in your face, the window to your soul ain’t tinted/you wanna see me fallin’ from grace, no way nigga/I’m stretching my weight like cocaine dealers – what you gonna say now? My flows way iller”.

The Theodore Unit track stands out thanks to an eerie beat that sounds like it was sampled straight from The Warriors, while an improved Shawn Wiggs let’s us know that “Theodore – we state of the art/you wanna keep that chain round your neck you best play ya part/cause ain’t a damn thing sweet like the Wonka factory” and Starks exclaims “Fuck Mike Jordan – it’s P. Tone in the air!”.

Apart from putting out a heap of mixtapes featuring the finest in NY “gutter butters” from M.O.P., G Rap and the like, J-Love has also been known to release white label tracks with everyone from Tragedy to O.C. to Master Ace. He also put together the classic “Rhyme Mania ’99” with Large Pro and Neek The Exotic.

Cormega featuring Ghostface - Come On (J-Love Remix) [white label, 2004]

Theodore Unit - Late Nite Arrival [white label, 2004]

always comin through with the gems, good lookin out.

Comment by antieight 10.17.05 @

That remix J Love did for that Slick Rick “trouble” track from the last Tony Touch album was also hot. That J Love 12″s with the Raekwon joint on one side and a RZA track on the flip.

J Love runs the mixtape game. I was listening to his Slick Rick “legends” mix the other day.

Comment by Brian Beck From Wisconsin 10.17.05 @

these are exactly what i needed…thank you. i had meant to pick these up but haven’t yet.

Comment by thesurgeongeneral 10.17.05 @

I’m MAD excited about the new Ghostface coming soon. I’m over here cheesin’ as we speak. LOL.

Comment by Dayrell 10.18.05 @

I must be one of the only people out there not feeling that Be Easy joint.

But ya J-Love white labels with the Rich Nice (is it Rich Nice, I dont feel like going through the crates right now) remixes on the other side, are definetly ill. A couple summers ago he dropped those 3 in one shot, the Brand Nubian joint, the Gangstarr one, and one more that I can’t remember right now. All three were on that classic NY sound.

And the Ghost face mixtape last year, held me down until the Pretty Toney album dropped.

Comment by mohamed 10.21.05 @

‘Late Night Arrival’ was my favouite beat of 2004…pure grime!

“fuck mike jordan, it’s p. tone in the air, pullin over narcs with mad coke stashed in the spare and guns and all that…”

Comment by T-$Bags 10.30.05 @

Oh, how I love that NY sound.

Comment by h2oboogie 11.11.05 @

the new ghost and trife lp is heat and if you cop the cd/dvd there’s a live concert on there too!!! well worth the bones. also ghost son gets up and bust’s a written…..some funnyass commentry too

Comment by sean b 12.23.05 @