Filed under: Freestyle Fridays,Steady Bootleggin'
Written by: Robbie Ettelson
No doubt some wiseguy is sure to complain that most of these “aren’t off the top of the dome”.1 Other than being the most annoying mixtape guy of all-time, DJ Clue had his moments, especially when it came to spotlighting street-level up-and-comers like The LOX, who were capable of some pretty nice shit in their younger days2 The other problem with these guys is that they often have awful taste in beats, so when you get to hear them over something dope3 it really stands out. Plus I keep reading about how gully Sheek Louch is, if that matters to anyone.
Here are a couple of good examples of how D-Block used to get down, over Primo’s “Next Level” Nyte Time Remix4 for the “Chest 2 Chest Freestyle” and then rocking over Gangstarr‘s “You Know My Steez” beat. Sadly, Clue still feels the need to yell his name out periodically, but what can you do?5
DJ Clue featuring The LOX – Chest 2 Chest Freestyle
DJ Clue featuring The LOX – Primo Freestyle
- 1. The definition of “freestyle” is something that nobody has given a shit about for the past ten years, but it was once a hotly-contested issue as to whether or not you had to improvise to call it a freestyle. My answer to that is: It’s not called “Top Of The Dome Friday”, now is it?
- 2. Not that they can’t hang today, but their albums are always pretty shitty and I still haven’t forgiven then for guesting on “Jenny On The Block” and that horrible Mariah shit.
- 3. Such as Alchemist‘s “We Gon’ Make It” or Premier’s “Don’t None of Y’all Better” from the first Jadakiss LP.
- 4. Show & AG‘s awesome first single from the “Goodfellas” album.
- 5. Well, if you’re name’s DJ Kay Slay you put him in a yoke.
- 6. Although Kris Ex pioneered that shit, I’m making it official – none of that square brackets nonsense over here.
5 Comments so far
Leave a comment
Leave a comment
Line and paragraph breaks automatic, e-mail address never displayed, HTML allowed:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>