Ultramagnetic Demos
Wednesday June 07th 2006,
Filed under: Ced Gee Special,Promos & Exclusives,Steady Bootleggin'

A little something passed on to me from Ross F:

I was just reading you’re Ultra reunion post and thought you might be interested in something I acquired from eBay recently: A demo EP with the four tracks “(NYC Critic) Mix It Down”, “Baby I’m Mad”, “Make It Rain” and “Who I Am”.

The seller had a record company that Ultra’s management had sent it to last year. Unfortunately his company could not afford their demands.

Apparently two of the songs saw a release a few years back:

“Make It Rain” / “Mix It Down” (Oxygen Music Works, 2001)

I never saw or heard that Oxygen single, so I can’t tell if these are same versions but “Make It Rain” and “Baby I’m Mad” sound more like typical Kool Keith solo tracks featuring Ced Gee rather than classic Ultra material, and “(NYC Critic) Mix It Down” reminds me of a song from that Big Time album that Keith did with Tim Dog. “Who Am I” is easily the best track, with a James Brown vocal on the hook and Delta Force One (“or should I say Ced Tyson”) kicks his own demented version of the “Broken Language” style.

Ultramagnetic MC’s - Who I Am

Ultramagnetic MC’s - (NYC Critic) Mix It Down

If that doesn’t move ya, then check the fellas fighting off skeezoids in this bugged-out clip for “Travelling At The Speed Of Thought (Remix)”:

Galaxy rays powerful!

Comment by reninatronix 06.07.06 @

wow, nothing like hearing an ultra mag song you’ve never heard before!

Comment by Keir 06.07.06 @

I think the link to the Mix It Down track may be broken…

Comment by D Kruz 06.07.06 @

^ It was. Now fixed.

Comment by Robbie 06.07.06 @

fairly sure ‘make it rain’was a keith solo track feat. ced. heard it on a greenpeace and yoda ‘jews paid’ tape about 4 years ago.

Comment by gs 06.07.06 @

That video is bugged.

Comment by bedouin 06.07.06 @

The cover to that Make it Rain 12″ is real Ill. Thanks for the sharing again Robbie

Good to see the spies is sending you joints to post up.

Comment by Skylar 06.07.06 @

We’re like the KGB of this blog shit…or maybe ASIO?

Comment by Robbie 06.07.06 @

Poppa Large video:

Comment by bedouin 06.08.06 @

Wow………just wow. I haven’t seen that Ultra video in like nearly 20 years! Man. Slick Wick Wack used to freak me out–that’s a seriously freaky mask.

Anyway–is this video remix available anywhere? I’ll have to check my re-release of CB…but I don’t think it’s on it. Dig that Kraftwerk/Bambaata sample and the extra Ced Gee verse!

Comment by finally 06.08.06 @

The remix is on the 12 inch with “A Chorus Line” on the flip. I’ve got it if you need a rip.

Comment by Robbie 06.08.06 @

I have the Make It Rain / Mix it Down 12 inch release. I’ve asked people about it before, but no one ever knew what I was talking about. And the tracks definitely sound more like what Keith was doing at the time. It seems like Ced was even trying to sound like Keith too. Anyone know if the single is worth putting up on ebay? I need money!

Comment by Jay 06.09.06 @

mix it down does sound like a typical keith thing. I wonder how I would’ve reacted at the time, before hearing all his solo projects. Who am I? is a little bit more Ultra though. Nice raw dawg ny stuff. Looking forward to the new LP, but I almost don’t want it to happen – nah mean?

Comment by farns 06.09.06 @

..good to hear Dave Pierce getting used again LOL!

Comment by farns 06.09.06 @

haha that video is sick! thanks for that.

my mate has that Ultra 12″ with the graff cover as well I think it might be a uk release.

Comment by bobd 06.09.06 @

I think I like the “Louie Louie” version of “Travelling” better than the remix

Comment by planb 06.09.06 @

Yeah, rip it!

Comment by Finally 06.09.06 @

MY ALL TIME FAVORITE GROUP OF ALL TIMES….THE CREW THAT MADE IT HOT ON THE BLOCK AND HAD MY ENTIRE CREW GOING WILD AS WE WAS GETTING READY ON A FRIDAY NIGHT TO GO TO THE ORIGINAL LATIN QUATERS! WE WOULD ALL GET FLY AND DRINK AS WE LISTEN TO ( EGO TRIPPIN )( FUNKY ) ( FEELING IT )
I ALWAY SAID THAT ULTRAMAGNETIC MC’S WERE AHEAD OF THEIR TIME.

Comment by EDDIENUCKLES 06.09.06 @

Yea I seriously need that remix. Copped the re-issue of CB a few years ago and it definitely wasn’t on it. Also not on that 12” you mentioned (Travelling/Chorus Line), just that Hip House remix and the album version. I also remember this Poppa Large remix which was horn-heavy, but not the Beatminerz version. Anybody got that? 1

Comment by The Funkologist 06.10.06 @

My record has two remixes of “Travelling” – the “Hip House” mix and the “Radio Mix”. The second version is the one used on the video.

Comment by Robbie 06.10.06 @

“I think I like the “Louie Louie” version of “Travelling” better than the remix”

I agree. That was the first Ultra song I heard.

Comment by Lotuz 06.12.06 @

Maybe I got me re-issue, since it’s not on my vinyl. Could you hook me up?

Comment by The Funkologist 06.12.06 @

So, did we never find this video remix?

Comment by Finally 06.20.06 @

Ultra Food for though:

The hip house remix version of “Traveling at the Speed of thought” was actually produced by the late great Paul C. In the video where you see the Grim Reeper walking around is actually Tim Dog dressed in that suite.

The Make it Rain EP: It goes like this. I closed a deal for Ultra with UK label Oxygen Music works around 1999 or some shit. They recorded the tracks together. The production was done mainly by Ced and TR on that EP. They were about to do a licensing deal to Virin Records in the UK and Partner a USA deal with Astral Werks with about 500 UK pounds on the table for the deal!! Once the CEO of Virgin got wind of Keith’s no show tactics for certain concerts he pulled the plug on the deal and Oxygen Music decided to just release the ep on wax to try and recoup and money they had poured into the ep. It was an official Ultra ep, not a kool keith project featuring Ced etc.

PEACE

Comment by Marc Davis 06.28.06 @

hey ced whats up its fats from the tuffcrew my nephew told mehe was talkin to you or kool keith and one of you told him to tell me to holla you guys was talkin to him about beats or something get and me ced i have some new groups that are hot im leaveing my number if it wasnt you tell keith to holla one and good luck 215 989-3856

Comment by fat$ 10.05.06 @

The link to “Mix it down” and “who i am” doesnt work.

Comment by MC Bucky 03.11.07 @