Crack Week Bonus Beats
Sunday August 06th 2006,
Filed under: Not Your Average,Steady Bootleggin'

If you have’t caught any of Crack Week over at Oh Word then you need to play catch-up (the Wu-Peanuts strips are essential reading). My contribution examining Funkmaster Wizard Wiz’s banned “pro-crack” hit isn’t too shabby, either.

Special mention needs to be made of K-Solo‘s epic “Tales From The Crack Side”, my personal pick for the “best cooked coke dedication ever”. With a running-time of over six minutes, this forgotten gem manages to combine a bugged plot with a tense, urgent track that really brings this nightmarish scenario to life. It also warns of the dangers of cans of ravioli.

K-Solo - Tales From The Crack Side [Tell The World My Name, Atlantic, 1990]

Random Trivia: Solo used to roll with a kid called Biggie Smalls, who has nothing to do with the Black Frank White.

If anyone is stupid enough to think the Wizard Wiz song is pro-crack, and it actually prompts you to smoke crack because of it, you probably deserved to die anyway.

Comment by bedouin 08.06.06 @

Word to K-Solo. The rhyme did it….

Funny you mention this. It’s RHS’s favorite crack jam as well and it was his planned topic for his crack week return to Oh Word.

But the lord had different plans…. the lord of procrastination that is.

Peace

Comment by rafi 08.06.06 @

Hoorah! I love this track – especially the line ‘suddenly I washed my face’.

Suddenly? ‘I fancy a wash. F–k it! I’m having one’.

Comment by Elliot 08.07.06 @

Haha, that Solo song isn’t totally forgotten, he did name drop it as an insult to DMX on one of the Beef DVDs.

Comment by Glacial 08.07.06 @

“Suddenly I washed my face” this line makes me smile and always will.

Comment by DrOp OnE 08.07.06 @

probably the best anti freebase track ever, pure dope(excuse the pun) kevin self organization left others,

Comment by shahid 08.07.06 @

Well the existence of another Biggie Smalls is why Mr. Wallace had to become Notorious BIG

Comment by nesta 08.12.06 @

Yeah but he had to change his name because of a white dude from the west coast called Biggie Smallz who had a records called “Nobody Rides For Free” in 1993.

Comment by Robbie 08.12.06 @