Forgotten Beefs Part 7 – Spoonie Gee Vs Schooly D
Thursday August 17th 2006,
Filed under: Features,Forgotten Beefs,Steady Bootleggin'

Spoonie sums up this situation perfectly….

JayQuan’s interview with Spoonie:

You had a song called “That’s My Style” who was that for?

Schooly D came out with “Gucci Time”. I just wanted to let him know that was my style.

I thought so. The hi hats on the song were programmed just like “Gucci Time”/P.S.K.

We were on shows together after that. He thought that I would hate him , but we winded up talking and I shook his hand & we were cool. I just wanted to let him know that everyone thought that he was me.

Since Philly’s finest never responded on record (unless it was something subliminal), this falls more under the “forgotten answer records” heading but who knows – maybe Schooly School had a little live routine firing back at the “Godfather of Rap”? Or quite possible he could have cared less about the whole thing…

Schooly-D - Gucci Time / P.S.K. [twelve inch single, Schooly D, 1985]

Spoonie Gee - That’s My Style [twelve inch single, Tuff City, 1986]

Thanks for this Robbie.

Comment by Sean 08.17.06 @

Or quite possible he could have cared less about the whole thing…

Probably. Tbh I think that Spoonie Gee track is rather unimpressive compared to Schoolly D’s tracks.

Comment by Lotuz 08.18.06 @

“that’s my style” is cool and, as you say, an interesting little piece of beef history but the 2 other tracks on the same 12″ – “serve ‘em right” and the original version of “take it off” – are better.

Comment by Brian Beck From Wisconsin 08.18.06 @

We’re not putting Foxes up against Alligators again are we? Code Money MostUnderrated DJ of all time?P.S.K still blows me away especially the last 1/4 !

Comment by DrOp OnE 08.19.06 @

Code Money indeed. I put my money on “It’s Krack”… Schoolly D aint’ on it, just drum machine and live booming drum illness. Love that metronome click too.

As for name copping, I’ve got a Florida bass tape (W. Palm Beach) from 88 by MC Kooley C and DJ KJ. No style biting though.

Comment by DJ Balagan 08.21.06 @

talk about internets synergy… I have a Sneaker Fiends drop sitting in my kitty where I talk about Schooly D’s ‘Gucci Time’. I will make sure that I link to this post.

one hundred

Comment by Young Deezy 08.30.06 @

Schoolly did respond on record to this beef. He said, “You say I tried to diss you and I stole your style, But the days you were rockin’ I was just a l’il child. Wassup man? Stop frontin’. What is is, what ain’t ain’t nothin’” – Housin’ the Joint 1987.

Comment by Harry Dixenballs 10.25.12 @