Is it live or is it Memorex?
Wednesday November 29th 2006,
Filed under: Not Your Average,Promos & Exclusives,Steady Bootleggin',Tape Vaults,Video Clips

Some nice live recordings, courtesy of bbatson:

MC Shan does a variation of “Marley Scratch”, tailored to Biz Markie‘s inhuman orchestral backing, while he also drives an ill Big Daddy Kane live routine which is a nice reminder of just how raw “Dark Gable” used to get before he crowned himself the “Prince of Darkness”.

Earlier still is this recording of LL Cool J as gets busy over “It’s Yours”, an appropriate beat considering that the brass at Def Jam made him T La Rock‘s replacement on the roster anyway.

MC Shan & Biz Markie - “Biz Scratch (live)”

Big Daddy Kane & Biz Markie - “Xmas Routine (live)”

LL Cool J - “It’s Yours Freestyle (1985)”

Bonus: A clip of a young Schooly-D performing in Philly, including some interesting comments about his fears for the future of rap which turned out to pretty much come true. What’s the story with those dance moves though D?

Cheers, Robbie. You got the first two MP3 links the wrong way around (the files the tags link to).

Comment by Ross 11.29.06 @

LL was cold gettin’ dumb! Early.

Comment by ENGINEER 11.29.06 @

How did these tapes get circulated? Were there some bootlegs on vinyl, specifically of Shan and Biz? The quote at the intro, “How many people ready to the rock the house? Where Brooklyn at?” has been sampled a number of times.

One thing I don’t miss about analog/tapes is how awful hey sounded after a few generations of dubbing.

That Schooly D footage was ill. Props again.

Comment by bedouin 11.29.06 @

“My body will eradicate in-flu-enza!” That LL was fierce! I don’t know how I never noticed how much of an influence T La Rock was on LL.
Thanks for that Schooly D vid too. I went on Youtube after that to find more Schooly vids and found a bugged out claymation video ala the California Raisins that someone made for “Mr. Big Dick.” AYO!!!!

Comment by Kin Corn Karn 11.29.06 @

Daaamn, I never heard that LL freestyle before. I never heard that ever ever before in my born days. Damn that’s dope.

Comment by bse 11.29.06 @

Comment by Kin Corn Karn 11.29.06 @

Hey robbie, haven’t talked to you in a minute. Got some new stuff for you.

Comment by bbatson 11.29.06 @

The Schooly performance was kind of fresh. I loved how early on Code Money cut during the entire song on just about everything they did.

Comment by planb 11.29.06 @

we the best out of the south no bullshit real talk…New Orleans in here yall get @ us we about to blow up baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bio

Smoke & Doe’ Ja
Born and raised in what now is known famously as the “UPT” Smoke and Doe’ja we’re born in the 17th ward in the neighborhood of Gertown. Having been exposed to the usual climate of violence and drugs the boy’s mother though it would be better for them to move downtown with there grandmother to a middle class neighborhood in the 9th ward. Press Park would only offer the same environment being so close to one of the city’s most notorious projects. The Desire was known for some of the city’s most violent crimes, and that’s where they would get their first taste of rap music. Doe’ja was introduced to the hip hop culture by his big brother E-Mac which helped him expose his self in Grambling, LA doing shows at various clubs with artist like UNLV, B.G. and U.G.K. Being heavily influenced by artist like Scarface, 2pac, LL Cool J, and I Cube, Doe’ja would have his first experience in hip hop in 1984 at the New Orleans World Fair. This would be the beginning of his journey for rap success. With several performances under his belt, he and his brother E-Mac started a group called the Unknown Mob, while younger brother Smoke in the wings waiting to prove himself he started his own group which would lead to him making beats on his own. The brothers would go on there own roads to achieve success.

Doe and E going to Grambling and Smoke going to Southern they all worked on different projects. Smoke collabing with the Baton Rouge hip hop scene would work with some of No Limit’s prominent artist such as, Kane & Able and Fiend. Then to move on to Atlanta to try to further his career. He worked with underground dj’s, and featured on HOT 107.9 as a freestyle artist and got a chance to freestyle with the industry’s best like Mr. Cheeks, Slum Village, Archie and producers on the come up like him. Trying to come up on the hip hop scene Doe’ja was offered many different offers from local rap label that didn’t fit the bill, but with his hustling skills decided to start his own record label Heavie Weight in 1998.

Unable to score a deal that was gravy enough for Smoke to sign a deal he decided to just create his on sound and buzz the underground music scene. Since then Smoke has dropped a solo project and both have dropped underground disc. They would join forces years later after the death of the big brother E-Mac which would bring Smoke back to New Orleans to work with his big brother Doe where they would collabe to introduce to the world who they are “ DA GUDDA BRUDAZ”. Having their first finished project at a hault due to hurricane Katrina which they experienced first hand by staying in their studio to finish mixing down the album to be released. Having to evacuate their studio in boats and spend a week at the New Orleans Convention Center. Smoke & Doe’ja had to live up to their names and kept it Gudda in the conditions they were placed in. Now after the storm there city is out of commission, but they are bouncing back on the music scene, with the gudda music for the streets, from the realest of the the real gudda streets of New Orleans, LA.

Created May 2, 2006

Comment by gudda brudaz 11.30.06 @

thank god that picture changed, it was giving me a heart attack each time I loaded the page

Comment by BR 11.30.06 @

Shots to BBatson

Comment by Brian Beck From Wisconsin 12.01.06 @

“If the Mona Lisa’s name was Teresa I’d get a piece ‘a the Mona Lisa”

Did anyone else notice that this line was also used on “Mr. Goodbar” from the “Mama Said Knock You Out” album.

Comment by Rah-Love 12.01.06 @

Yo bbatson, you ever on slsk anymore?

Comment by audiotony 12.02.06 @

That Schoolly D footage believe it or not was from the Latin Quarter dayz

Comment by Kevin 12.02.06 @

Holy crap! it’s Audiotony. I was about to put a search warrant out for you! haha that’s the guy you need to talk to robbie. Yeah, I’m on. I NEVER see you around though. if you have aim hit me up. bbatsonshazam

Comment by bbatson 12.02.06 @

“p.s. I’ve been looking for that big funk in the big town full tape/dvd for a longggg time. Anyone know where i could cop it?”

This TV documentary is not available on video or DVD, but you can watch it here:

Comment by Lotuz 12.02.06 @

Cheers Robbie, again nice post..More live stuff and old freestyles please. ONE

Comment by Sterling 12.03.06 @

big up for the site! all you 90’s hip hop lovers check out also http://www.musicselections.wordpress.com

Comment by Marty 12.04.06 @

???..Mrley Marl recorded a track with a crew called UNIT3 for his 2nd In Control. I have a tape recording of westwood and Marley Marl capital radio LNDN from back in 89 with the UNIT3 track bein played by dj clash…its called UNIT3-HERE IT IS..Does anybody know what happened to that track, cos it didnt appear on In Control. Vol.2. NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED 2 UNIT3???..Bless

Comment by Sterling 12.05.06 @

Hey Sterling, i remember that track.it used the a snippet from the wailing horns on Mama Feelgood and Chuck D`s opening lines from Night Of The..

I actually remember that show(had it on tape myself) and the other LA Gear Rap Exchanges – surprised you aren`t asking about the OG version of No BS aswell..

I lost these tapes and would LOVE to hear those shows again.have you converted them to MP3`s at all??
Hit me up on the email please…even if its just to talk about these shows..

Comment by Beatlover 12.05.06 @

I WAS THERE THE NIGHT THIS WAS RECORDED. LADY BE USED TO PLAY IT ON RADIO ACTIVE POWER 99 IN PHILLY ALONG WITH TWO OTHER LL FREESTYLES IF YOU HAVE THEM UP THEM PLEASE.

Comment by blitz65 12.10.06 @

I’ve have a couple of these delightful pieces. I just got a download of that LL jarn and everybody always cuts off that beginning piece. I’m from Philly and believe people that were there should be recognized and Brian Dennis was the host from Power 99 FM. Yeah!!!Lady B played this piece a lot. Me and my cousin (who was my rap partner) often recited this jarn on a daily. From that point on freestyles took on yet a new meaning.Lots of Love man cause I’ve been searching for this cut for about 18 years and I just got it a month ago so hearing it again won’t bother me at all. I’m glad the world can hear.And dig this at that time I couldn’t stand LL because I was doing my own thing.

Comment by Olskool4real 12.31.06 @