Battle of the Breaks 2 – Remake or Rip-Off?
Monday December 18th 2006,
Filed under: Features,Not Your Average,Steady Bootleggin'

Outrun 2006

Outrun in 1986

The rap remake is always a dicey proposition. Grabbing an old classic beat can be an easy way to get a few spins, but it can either leave the crowd grinning as they catch a flashback or pissed-off to hear an old favourite butchered. Although this technique has been around for years, I’ve noticed that high-profile producers like Just Blaze seem to be employing the remake with increasing regularity.

One of the biggest records to reference an old classic was Joe Budden‘s “Pump It Up”, which saw JB flipping the break used for the “Scenario” remix. This wasn’t really a big deal though, since Marley Marl had actually beaten Tribe Called Quest to the punch when he first used the beat for LL Cool J‘s “Cheesy Rat Blues” in 1990, and Just’s version was based around a heavy percussion track that interpolated the horn riff. This one gets a pass.

A Tribe Called Quest featuring L.O.N.S. & Kid Hood – “Scenario (remix)”

Joe Budden – “Pump It Up”

Next up is the gospel break that first saw the light of day as a skit on OC‘s Word…Life, which served as the foundation for Black Moon‘s attempted comeback single “Stay Real”. It also appeared on The Black Album and resulted in Evil Dee accusing Just of chomping his shit. The verdict? I doubt it was a bite, more likely they buy breaks from the same record dealer and money had doubles….or maybe it turned up on a bootleg compilation or some shit. As far as who flipped it nicer….I like both versions. Jay‘s version is appropriatley brash, loud and gleaming, while Buckshot‘s is gritty and sombre.

Black Moon – “Stay Real”

Jay-Z – “Public Service Announcement”

The two examples that I find a little more troubling are Blaze’s work on both of The Game‘s albums. “No More Fun & Games” The Documentary featured the loop first made famous on EPMD‘s triumphant third album, with little difference except for a shitty “futuristic” keyboard sound over the top and the bridge, while “The Remedy” remakes “Black Steel” faithfully. Unless The Game requested that JB loop both of the beats since he liked the originals so much, I can’t help but think he kinda phoned-in both of these tracks. The again, why the fuck would you waste your best beats on a hump like Game anyway? Maybe these two are deliberate throwaways.

EPMD – “For My People”

The Game – “No More Fun & Games”

Public Enemy – “Black Steel In The Hour of Chaos”

The Game – “The Remedy”

It’s worth noting that I’m not a fan of the over-produced sound of many rap records in recent years, and I often prefer to hear someone ripping shit over a raw, repetitive loop rather than having fifty different samples popping off, but when it’s already been looped effectively it’s pushing the friendship a bit.

[Poll=14]

UPDATE:
Before anyone else writes an essay on here about the history of sampling, let’s remember that it’s not 1987 anymore, and I’m not complaining about different people using the same break. But if you’re going to flip “7 Minutes of Funk”, “Apache” or even “Superfreak”, then here’s a few good examples of how to do it right:

Busta Rhymes – “What The Fuck You Want!!” (Produced by Diamond D)

Nas – “Made You Look” (Produced by Salaam Remi)

NYG’z – “Giantz Ta This” (Produced by DJ Premier)

Jay-Z – “Kingdom Come” (Produced By Just Blaze)

If nothing else, those four songs prove that a quality chop can make even the most played-out break sound new again.

If I remember rightly Westwood used to rock the break (or the full original instrumental) of O.C.’s pre-Point O Viewz skit. This was back when you could hear some proper hip-hop on his show (but he was still a berk).

Comment by Ross 12.18.06 @

Just heard The Remedy, because I’m not really checking the Game. But I am surprised others haven’t used the Black Steel beat. It is nice to see Robbie is not going easy on dudes just because they post on the site.

Comment by turtle 12.18.06 @

I guess I’ll be in the minority here and say no, he ain’t bitin’… and if anyone’s bein’ “bitten” it’s the artists who made the shit in the first place.

I think that because it’s “Just Blaze, big-name modern-day producer”, it’s being made a big deal. Had it been some producer from back in the day, I don’t think this would be a problem amongst the “purists”.

Was it biting when every other producer was raping the same songs from the James Brown catalogue? (too many to name)

Was it biting when Brand Nubian & Diamond D re-used the same loop previously used by De La Soul and Super Cat?
(“Punks Jump Up”, “Bitties In The BK Lounge”, “Ghetto Red Hot rmx”)

Or how bout Large Professor’s use of a sample for Akinyele that had just been used on a KRS-One joint the previous year?
(“Ak Ha Ha”, “We In There remix”)

Or you could look at it like this: maybe Just is doing for those other hip-hop songs what the older hip-hop songs did for the original artists. It was dope back in the day, he liked it, the younger generation may not remember it, thus he puts a new spin on it and gives it new life/light. Ain’t that basically what happened to some of the artists who got sampled by the Marleys, Erick Sermons, and Pete Rocks of the world? I woulda never known who Roy Ayers was if I didn’t read the production credits on some of those albums… the same way alotta kids in high school right now probably never heard EPMD’s “For My People”. Shit, some of ‘em weren’t even born yet.

And then with that being said, it’s not like his whole entire catalogue is like this. So while pointing out a few instances, isn’t it a little selective to not note that he’s produced waaay more songs that DIDN’T sample previously-used songs?

And what it really comes down to is: is the shit dope or not? Fukk whether it’s mainstream or underground, or if such-and-such used the sample back in ’89, or whose was better- does it sound good? It really should be that simple.

My bad for writing a novel… but that hypercritical type shit annoys me to no end. Reason being, I don’t think people would be NEARLY as critical of something from back in the day or something that’s more underground now. I don’t recall Black Moon bein’ accused of jackin’ the OC skit, right?

Comment by DanjaMania 12.18.06 @

Exactly. Just Blaze’s discography speaks for itself, full of songs that’ll still get spins 10 years from now. What producer hasn’t made a beat from a source that’s been looped before? Robbie, you’re kinda coming off like you have it out for Blaze.

Comment by Scott 12.18.06 @

I can’t front, I like “No More Fun & Games”.

Comment by Lotuz 12.18.06 @

But I am surprised others haven’t used the Black Steel beat.

Actually I think Dre used it for some R&B song on his Aftermath LP.

Comment by bedouin 12.18.06 @

..ITS HOW YOU HOOK EM
UP AND THE RHYME STYLE TROOP..etc.

felt the instrumental/production on PUMP IT UP;
HEAVY

Comment by Sterling 12.18.06 @

13% (3 Votes)” title=”You Have Voted For This Choice – Hell no. “Rap is an art, you can’t own no loops” blah, blah, blah -> 13% (3 Votes)” />

too many JB haters up in here. And dats commin from
an ultra fan yung ‘un.

Comment by Sterling 12.18.06 @

Muggz used it for the song (I think it was caled puppet master) with dre on the first soul assasins record.. Lets talk about Hydra, or 7 minute of funk, or all these other samples that been used on multiple classics ..

Comment by dolo 12.18.06 @

This might be a problem if Just made his rep off these redos but he doesn’t. For me that the tracks that really made me notice Just Blaze were “Girls, Girls, Girls Pt 2″ with Jay, “React” with Erick Sermon (of the above EPMD no less), “Oh Boy” with Cam and “Fire” by Joe Budden. None of them are remakes of previous tunes, all four are very different and all three times dope in my oppinion (though the Cam got mucho played out).
His work on the Freeway album is some of my absolute favourite Hiphop of this decade. A whole Just Blaze+Freeway album in 07 would make my year.

Also let us not forget how many old school rap cats claim those “golden age” dudes were biting their old routines wholesale. If those routines had all been recorded and saved then maybe we wouldn’t have looked on 87-91 as being so fresh after all.

Comment by bse 12.18.06 @

Some of these musings and debates about biting are a profound waste of the oppertunity we have in sharing Hip Hop culture via the internet.

Know your history of black music, it’s the mysterious fifth element of Hip Hop that many fear to practice.

VERSIONING has ALWAYS been a staple to black American music. It’s the cornerstone to Jamaican soundsystem culture and, of course, old school Hip Hop.

JB Biting?!? Please! If ya wanna complain ya not feeling his work, then so be it. But it’s difficult to deny that his work is carrying on a great tradition of connect the dots to the history of black music.

If a 16 year kid hears Remedy and gets prompted to listen to Black Steel then is also lead to Issac Hayes then is lead to David Porter then to the rich legacy of Stax/Volt then a beautiful thing has been done here.

Future without a past, indeed.

Comment by ARM 18 12.18.06 @

I always thought “Black Steel” sounded like a NWA track that could’ve been on the “Niggas4life” album. Hearing The Game over that shit just sounded right to me even though i had heard it before.

More importantly, i would rather hear some classic rehashed sample than any Triton tinkertoy beat anyday. Listen to Dre’s more current beats on the Jay album…not really that exceptional if you ask me. Sure they knock but they kind of all sound the same…listen to Jay’z “lost one,” “30 something,” and snoop’s “imagine” and you’ll know exactly what i’m talking about…

So when is somebody going to effectively going to flip the “Time’s Up” sample???

Comment by neil nice 12.18.06 @

“Robbie, you’re kinda coming off like you have it out for Blaze”

He was disappointed that he wasn’t met with “an onslaught of hate” in the comment section to the Diddy/Jay-Z post, so I thought I’d do my best to oblige.

He has of course made a bunch of dope tracks that don’t recycle beats, but where’s the fun in analysing them?

Comment by Robbie 12.19.06 @

^well he’s gonna be upset more. No hate here. (if you wanna talk about the beats used on Beanie Sigel records, then I can hate :) )

anyways. I have no problem with Just or anyone using stuff like that. Because first off, he put his spin on. End of story.

Second, I’d rather listen to that all day because it sounds good. That’s the first rule of production. Make it sound good. I don’t care if it was used.

and third…. THANK GOD JUST BLAZE KNOWS THESE SONGS HE’S USING!!!! I honestly am proud in this day in age that somebody even recognises the joints. You think the dudes doing “laffy taffy” or “chicken noodle soup” or “INSERT RADIO HIT HERE” know are listening to Public Enemy?????

You know what they say.. Use it or lose it. If Just keeps using it, hopefully we won’t lose it.

Comment by bbatson 12.19.06 @

I rekon its allright to flip a loop again if its been used on soem mediocre track before, or even as soem kind of tribute/cover thing, but the epmd and PE rip offs are straight stupid to me.

Be allright as some kind of tribute/modernisation/improvement “to keep teh originals alive” or whatever it is, but soem guy on there first or second albumn who really isnt that great and is not likely to be doing it out of any respect?

I guess some people might think the game is great but he sounds comparitvely retarded compared to the tracks his ripping off. Couldnt even listen to remedy past the first verse (maybe it improves….)

I just personally dont undertsand in this instance why you’d do it as a producer or a mc and really think its a good idea.

Comment by gex 12.19.06 @

somehow i’m not suprised the most flagrant examples involve the rapper whos on everyone’s nuts.

no mention of trouble funk in the pump it up example?

Comment by future methods 12.19.06 @

Remake or rip off!?..funny cos Just Blaze’s boy
Double O just flipd the ol 93 til infinity loop
for K.I.T.H Wheelz fall off til 06..and i fuckin
think its awesome.

BIG UP JUS BLAZE.

Comment by Sterling 12.19.06 @

Just Blaze makes Hip Hop. Pure & Simple. Son has been on a tear as of late when it comes to borrowing “Old Shit” but his beats is fire and that’s that.

When Puffy was stealing all the classics back in the late 90’s, that’s what pisses me off. Some wack R&B cat named Joe teaming with Mystikal to beat jack Passin’ me by for their song Stutter, that pisses me off. The shit was straight wack.

PF Cuttin’ jacked Diamond D for a Sean Price mixtape track, and like a year later J-Ro stole it for his 818 joint. Both dudes did their thing on it and it’s a simple loop, I ain’t mad.

Comment by Skylar 12.19.06 @

SOMEbody gets it..
there’s still a little more to it.. but thats the basis of it..

Do we reallllly want to start playing match the break with the 8000 songs that have used them? I started to do it out of boredom one day… wow. maybe one day i’ll post the mix i started online one day..

I hinted at a story behind this record. I dont have time to type it all out.. but the short story is.. for anyone who cares.. “Remedy” was originally a skit for little kims last album. About her going jail etc.. “Got a letter from the governement the other day etc etc” Flav was goin to do the adlibs over ala Black steel “kim we comin to break you out, etc etc,” End of skit. one verse. Couldnt pull it all together in time so it got scrapped. Game got his hands on the beat (not from me) and decided to do a song to it. Aftermath says he, Flav’s in town lets get him on it. Flavs all about it, but every time it was about to happen some flavor of love business or something came up, and Game had a deadline. I actually didnt want to release it without Flav b/c I didnt feel like it would make sense without him, same as the Kim situtaion.. but they were adamant on keeping the record because it felt so NWA/O.G. Chronic-ish. Even went to remix it. in the 11th hour, but alas, they were stuck on it. And ususally when I do these “remakes” a lot of my intention is hoping that some of the younger kids who would really have no idea as far as the records that have come before will go do some knowledge and discover some of our history that they ususally wouldnt. I mean really. how else would the avg kid today ever come up on “night of the living baseheads”??? That’s pretty much how I learned about breaks when i was 6,7 years old.. Comaprin mom n pops old records to mine.. anyway.. That being said i finally listened to “Remedy” and i wasnt mad at it really, though I wished it had flav on it. I stil had a lot of reservations even though i thought it was a good record. But all that went by the wayside when i realized how many people DIDNT even realize that it was essentially a black steel freestyle. As dissapointing as that was, so many kids have emailed me, sent msgs on myspace, and even in the street approached me and let me know that that recordone way or another turned them on ultimately to the PE version.. . Now i’m not sitting here playing sacraficial lamb, sometimes I just feel like putting a new spin on an old break (i.e. pump it up). If the end result is a dope record.. then it’s mission accomplished either way. Thanks to the few heads that actually recognize what’s goin on. i mean really. I’ve got a few undred OTHER records floating around out there besides a handful of remakes haha. And yeah.. if it wasnt ME.. or some other well known mainstream producer doing it… I dont think we’d be having this discussion right now. I was joking about the hate btw robbie.. was just funny how certain other folks had so much to say b4 i got there.. and then… silence.. or a complete change of tone. thats all..

Comment by JBTV 12.19.06 @

And oh yea… If we are talking about rap remakes.. why is stay real/PSA up there? how does that qualify? Oh wait.. it just adds to the fun of the analysis right…? riiiight
BTW its not a gospel break.. not in the least actually…
Little Boy Blues Band.. About as ‘psych rock/progressive/the product of lot lots of drug use’ as u can get..
5000…

Comment by JBTV 12.19.06 @

No ass kissing going on here. But I think Just hit the nail on the head. It sounds good and respects where it came from. I really don’t think you can argue with that. I’d rather listen to that then some keyboard stuff.

I mean, take X-Clan nobody was bitching when they essentially had the same beats as special ed, mc lyte, and just about every other UBB beat on ONE song. It was dope, end of story.

And should we be mad at RZA for flipping the same sample for different beats? OR was anyone mad at MC Lyte for using Impeach the President right after Audio Two?

I don’t get why if it wasn’t a park jam or a UBB record it’s so taboo for someone else to use. If it’s a UBB joint it’s open season. I guess it has to do with an “ownership of finding it thing”.

anyways…… using breaks makes me happy. Keep it up.

p.s. If other producers had the sample clearance budget Just had, don’t think for a second they wouldn’t be doing the same thing.

Comment by bbatson 12.19.06 @

Well if it had flava on it, I dont think anyone would have a problem with it.

The reason maybe people change there tone is because you explain stuff pretty well like how i said with the epmd and PE joints, I couldnt understand how a producer would do that with just the game rapping over it and no dues to the originals, well youve explained how and it seems pretty reasonable, So no ones really going to rant on about it after that.

I spose it was a similar story for the EPMD one, record execs, deadlines, etc, etc.

I do aknowledge that its good if it gets people onto teh originals.

On the other hand shit does seem to have switched from a open debate to a Just Blaze fan club. And im still suss on it personally, theres got to be soem kind of rules of engagement or everyone can just go flip there favourite samples. I always just thought it was a bit off unless theres a point to using the old song, like bustas track with the classic diamond d loop, the songs about NewYork taking it back so it uses a loop from when NewYork “had it”. So its a paying respect thing or whatever.

Comment by gex 12.19.06 @

It is probably better without Flav. But I agree with who ever said shit today is over-produced. Anyway…I hate to be a hater…but there is something missing from hip hop that I can not quite put my finger on. Or maybe I am just old.

Comment by turtle 12.19.06 @

It wasnt exactly a tribute.. DJ Scratch had never heard the diamond d track .. and in all honesty.. neither had i.. until about a month after Busta’s record came out. I know sum folks had a hard time believeing the almighty DJ scratch couldnt have heard that. but I can identify..that was a CD only bonus track. .What DJ YOU know was buying CDs in 93? went competely over my head 2. and as far as me talkign about people changing their tone.. i was talking about a completely differnt post.. not this one…

Comment by JBTV 12.20.06 @

“What DJ YOU know was buying CDs in 93?”

^ That’s true, although that was the ONLY CD that a lot of dudes had in their collection back then based on the ill extra shit. Don’t sleep on that 4 song Japanese bootleg with “Feel The Vibe”, “Red Light, Green Light” and “I Went For Mine” on vinyl.

“I was joking about the hate btw robbie”
Yeah I got that. Interesting to hear story behind the Game shit as well.

Comment by Robbie 12.20.06 @

I only found out that track was CD only today coincedentally in this P Brothers interview of Diamond… I wouldnt mention it but is interesting that re-using (or conscientiously using unused) samples is mentioned a few times in it. I spose reinforcing some peoples point that this type of shit has been going on for a long time. >>> Ha, i picked a crap example then! Id be amazed if Busta, engineers, weed carriers, label heads etc didnt know Diamond had used it before release though?

I only found out that track was CD only today coincedentally in this P Brothers interview of Diamond… I wouldnt mention it but is interesting that re-using (or conscientiously using unused) samples is mentioned a few times in it. I spose reinforcing some peoples point that this type of shit has been going on for a long time. >>> http://www.heavybronx.com/interviews/diamond.htm

Comment by gex 12.20.06 @

I`ll take re-worked or not so re-worked breaks or samples over synthesized,squeaky clean sounding hip hop anyday.

Comment by Beatlover 12.20.06 @

If no one ever played anything original there wouldn’t be shit to sample. Damn. Like people dig the keys played on the Rick James record used on a sample but if Levi Ruffin had come up with that key line in 2006 it would have been wack keyboard production? WAKE UP! Sound is vibration.

Comment by bse 12.20.06 @

actuallly “i went for mine was on the cassette album .. last joint on side 2 .. that was my joint since that album dropped

Comment by dolo 12.20.06 @

I’m not really feeling the generic synth shit that’s coming out these days. The shit that usually grabs my attention is funk, soul, jazz or blues or rock loops breaks and samples. I know musically it’s great that lil’ Jon isn’t sampling much and making his shit outta scratch and his kazoo skill is extraordinary, but the shit’s pretty much all the same, as some heads is mentioning, the dirtier the better

Comment by Skylar 12.20.06 @

“Am I the only person that wants to big up the Timbalands and Mannie Fresh’s of the world who largely don’t sample (or at least don’t loop) and still make dope beats?

Not instead of but as well as. There’s so much zionism around. Like “Just Blaze is okay because at least he’s not using KEYBOARDS”. Go watch that making-of “Why You Hate the Game”. My man is a PRODUCER and he is using keyboards, organs, pianos, drums, singers, backing singers… oh and samples. People need to worry about how it SOUNDS and get off the logs.”

CO-SIGN.

it’s like it’s not good enough for fans to be fans. We wanna get all in their studio sessions and tell muhfukkas how to do shit, when alot of us really don’t know how to do shit but listen.

Comment by DanjaMania 12.21.06 @

Great point. couldnt have said it better. some folks are reading my mind out there.. I guess sum ppl really DO get it.. haha
Like i said.. if a good record comes out of it.. mission accomplished..

Comment by JBTV 12.21.06 @

myspace.com/polohiphop. If you like west coast gangsta rap, and east coast lyrical rhyme schemes, then myspace.com/polohiphop.

Comment by Allah 12.21.06 @

In the scheme of things, there are so many parts of so many records (both used and untapped), that I wonder why there isnt more classics being made. Flipping the same loops is cool with me, but why is diggin now the domain of purists? I can walk into most any thrift store and come up with something from the .99 cent bin that makes me wonder why the stagnation..I guess it compliments most lyrics these days.
BTW, I stil listen to Ultimate Breaks and Beats on the regular..and those gotta be among the most sampled to death beats. Peace to Kon and Amir who were killing it this year…

Comment by BK tha fullest 12.22.06 @

“It’s like the METHOD by which a song is made is makin’ people decide whether they like a song or not… as opposed to what the song sounds like. There’s probably a dude samplin’ his ass off who can’t make a hot track for SHIT right now- should he get an automatic pass over someone who uses keyboards and can create a great track with ‘em?”

I tend to agree with your point here,about nothing mattering as long as it sounds hot, but I think there is an important distinction to make about samples vs. keyboards. Its not like I hate keyboards, but there is a legitimate reason people are down on them. For the most part, keyboards produce a synthetic sound. Samples sound so rich because they are sampling records where real instruments were used. The vibe and quality of the music sounds totally different. Not to mention so many hip hop producers use the same keyboards with the same cheezy azz sounds. I hate keyboard horns and tend to not be a fan of keyboard sounds in general, but do end up liking some songs that feature them. But the difference is striking and I think we all know that.

As far as a guy like Timbaland, i think hes incredible. His rhythms and layering is crazy. That “My Love” justin timberlake joint is pure perfection to me. ON the other hand, when I hear “Jigga, my Nigga” by Swizz Beats, it sounds horrible to me. It epitomizes everything I hate about keyboard beats. It was a hot song to many at the time, but is it going to have the same staying power over years as a differently produced record? Of course the lyrics play a role in that as well, but I think my point is clear.

So method is a reasonable measure to judge a song by in many instances. When I am listening to beats I can immediately hear a keyboard beat and it sounds weak. Music IS vibration, but real instruments give off better vibrations than fake ones.

Comment by Kai 12.22.06 @

Oh by the way, Rass Kass did a song off of the show em what you got sample that I think is a waaaaayyy better song than Jay-Zs, lyrically and beat wise.

I wasn’t crazy about that Just flip, but it wasn’t done poorly at all, it had a live feel to it, but Jay’s underwhelming lyrics and ‘wave’ chorus just wont allow me to like that song. And I dont think it was one of Just’s better productions, imo.

“you aint got enough calcium to have a bone to pick with me/
like a Gracie, I’ll choke a nigga out with his own gee/”
-Rass Kass

As far as the PSA controversy, Just bodied them. The black moon song sounds real wack comparatively and its not a bad song. The PSA beat is just too too much. Its my favorite black album track, along with Lucifer which is pretty incredible as well.

Comment by Kai 12.22.06 @

‘In the scheme of things, there are so many parts of so many records (both used and untapped), that I wonder why there isnt more classics being made.’

Because dudes ain’t digging as much they claim to be, they got kids going to the ‘sound library’ for em, and they know less than you. So in the end the game suffers. every sample in Just Blaze’s catolog are known, keep digging.

Comment by victor doom 12.22.06 @

Yo JUST BLAZE, I know you are a 80s New School rap head. Please tell me your thougts on the DJ Too Tuff produced Tuff Crew jam called “Soulfood”.

It uses the same 2 sample sources than “Show Me Watch You Got”.

I dont want to get into something like who-stole-what-from-who-shit, I just want to know if you know the track and what do you think of it.

Peace
Hawkeye

Comment by Hawkeye 12.23.06 @

If you want to listen to “Soulfood” check DJ Too Tuffs myspace page http://www.myspace.com/djtootuff

And yeah

merry christmas and a happy new year !!!!

Comment by Hawkeye 12.23.06 @

yes.. yes.. yes.. i saw the 8000 posts u made about it on every blog thsat had ANYthing to do with show me what u got.. (are you his PR person or something?) never heard it b4 that…it was cool. dude used the drums from shaft tho not the horns if i remember correctly. i mean .. i guess u could say he was like 20 years ahead of his time since he hooked both those records up together.. didnt blow me away but it wasnt wack either.

Comment by JBTV 12.23.06 @

It must have been almost 12.000 posts as I’m a very scrupulous pipsqueak.

No I’m not his PR person, I’m just a fan and a nerd if you want and I like to get the whole picture of things.
I thought it would be interesting to know of the fact, but most people are satisfied with half of the picture.

You right, he used not the horns from Shaft.

I just wanted to know if you like the track, now I know LOL !!!

Like I said before, happy holy-days.

Peace Hawkeye

P.S.
Oh yeah, I agree with the statement you made in German HipHop mag Juice. “A comeback should not be rushed.”

Comment by Hawkeye 12.23.06 @

Ah fuck it, allways the same.

I forgot to tell you to keep on coming with those classic samples flipped into a new format. The kiddies dont know shit and I prefer it that they can listen to some nice new-old shit instead of the newest Triton Preset pre-programed by an broken eurothrash techno producer.

Ignore us old nitpickers.

Peace

Comment by Hawkeye 12.23.06 @

^WORD. we are old nitpickers, you cant force feed-Re: Jigga, my ni**** (Peace Rev. Jackson) to me that was a real low point. It was people must be like tone-deaf..Sound Library and the net and ebay have all blown up the spot on everything. It happened with records/beats, graffiti, sneakers, etc. You used to have to pay dues, learn the ropes..These days you just can just use technology and/or buy your way into the game. I really hope that whats next is a return to actual instruments, real musicians and real producers much like the days when these samples were being made.

Comment by BK tha fullest 12.23.06 @

I need a MC to bring it back on my tracks!

Comment by Dread 12.24.06 @

@ BK

Yo BK check http://www.mpmsite.com when I’m not the promoter of Too Tuff I’m A&R for that lable. What we release comes real close to what you wish for rap. Except that we release no rap till now. But in 2007 we propably will start with hat too.

Peace

Comment by Hawkeye 12.26.06 @

TRY TO DIG FOR BRING OUT YOUR OWN RARE BREAKS AND MAKE IT HAPPEN. THEN THE LEECHES WILL PUT IT ON A BREAK ALBUM AND IT WILL ALWAYS BE KNOWN AS THAT’S THAT BEAT THAT SO AND SO RIPPED OR THAT’S SO AND SO’S SAMPLE. “I LOVE MUSIC” BY AHMAD JAMAL WILL FOREVER BE KNOWN AS NAS’S/PETE ROCK’S THE WORLD IS YOUR’S SAMPLE. BUT IF YOU HAVE TO REHASH A WELL USED BREAK LIKE NAUTILUS FOR EXAMPLE, YOU HAVE FREAK IT DIFFERENTLY OR SAY SOME INCREDIBLY LYRICS AGAINST IT. “RAP IS AN ART YOU DON’T OWN NO LOOPS, IT HOW YOU HOOK IT UP AND THE RHYME STYLE TROOP”-GURU OF GANGSTARR..I TOOK AN OTIS REDDING TRACK AND FREAKED IT, YOU’LL GET THE POINT IF YOU CHECK ME OUT…WWW.MYSPACE.COM/BINGRIM

Comment by BINGRIM 01.12.07 @

TRY TO DIG OR*

Comment by BINGRIM 01.12.07 @

sampleing is how it started lets keep it up, u can ad a little synth if ya want but keep it to tha min…and if ur gonna sample sumtin thats been ripped by another make sure tha next mc does a better or equal job or ellse don’t let that sucka have it. Peace!

Comment by brewknow 01.18.07 @