Great Moments In Rap Pt. 3 – Mikey D Vs Melle Mel

Photo by D-Nice

MIKEY D VS MELLE MEL

DATE: 1989

VENUE: New Musical Seminar Battle for MC Supremacy @ the Marriot Marquis

THE COMPETITORS: Mikey D, the young upstart from Queens who went on to work with Paul C and replace Large Professor in Main Source; Melle Mel, the pioneer MC who had a worldwide smash with “The Message” as part of Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5.

LET’S BATTLE: Even though the new school was already in full swing, Melle wasn’t going to accept the changing of the guard without a fight. Having won the MC battle the previous year, he stepped to Mikey D just after he accepted his belt for winning the final against Bango from Ice-T’s Rhyme Syndicate.

DJ Johnny Juice: “Melle came up on stage dressed like a World Wrestling Federation dude. He had these tights on and a dude with him who looked like a referee [Grandmaster Caz]. Dude was wearing a white and black striped shirt and the black pants. [Melle] said: ‘To be the man, you gotta beat the man! Whoever wins takes both belts home'”.

Mikey D: “He’s talking about ‘He’s nobody! He don’t deserve this belt!’ I said ‘I’m not gonna battle you for the belt, ’cos I just won this!”.

JJ: “But the crowd was like ‘Come on! What the fuck? That’s some bullshit! You gonna let him talk to you like that?’ So Mikey was like ‘Alright, fuck it! Let’s do it!'”

MD: “So he said his shit, and I liked it – it was pretty cute. But then it was my turn. Now this guy had the nerve to start doing push-ups on stage! I tell the guys with the SP12’s: ‘Turn the music off!’, and I started goin’ on him, off the beats of his push-ups! The crowd went wild! That was round one”.

JJ: “Mikey came back on his second verse and destroyed Melle. Mel came back and stared doing a written rhyme – it wasn’t even a battle rhyme – and everybody started booing. In the middle of his rhymes he was like ‘Well fuck y’all motherfuckers! I’m takin’ the belts anyway!'”

MD: “Grandmaster Caz picked both of the belts up, when I had my back turned, and started walking off!”

JJ: “Mikey didn’t try to stop ‘em, and that pissed me off. I’m thinking ‘Don’t let that motherfucker walk off the stage with your belt!’, and he walked the fuck out! Mikey’s just standing there. I think he’s in shock”.

MD:Big Daddy Kane was tryin’ to stop Melle Mel. He pushed Kane right down the stairs!”

THE AFTERMATH: Mikey never recovered the original belt, but was given a “bigger and better” one by the organizers. Melle hung onto his two.

THE WINNER: Wrestling?

Originally printed in Hip-Hop Connection #220.

Melle mel is a bitch nigga, that’s not hip hop. You got served old ass nigga. KRS gotchu..now Mikey D.

Comment by C Style 04.04.08 @

Thats some hoe shit…Melle Mel got beat and went out on some sore loser shit! Mikey D shoulda fought them niggas for his belts!!!

Comment by BIG MES 04.04.08 @

Just cause this is an old school post, I gotta say it. RIP to Frosty Freeze who died today at the age of 44. A true b-boy pioneer.

Comment by Dankweed 04.04.08 @

Thats wack on Mel’s part, but what’s wacker is Mikey letting him do it

RIP Frosty

Comment by the average man 04.05.08 @

Melle Mel is fuckin homo

Comment by AFFECKS 04.06.08 @

Big up 2 Melle Mel……That’s some ol’e Hip Hop shit right there…Hostyle takeover shit…….HaHaHa…

Comment by shamz 04.07.08 @

^”That’s some ol’e Hip Hop shit right there”

co-sign

Comment by Combat Jack 04.07.08 @

MELLE MEL VS WILLIE D? SOMEBODY PLEEEASE PUT THIS UP…

Comment by AO 04.08.08 @

LOL (REAL loud) @ these cats that posted that Melle Mel is a homo or a bitch ni@@a, or went out on some ho’ sh@t. I’d like to have seen THEM try and stop Mel from taking them belts. Mikey, if memory serves me, was NOT an especially big fella. And that’s not Hip-Hop?… Then neither was KRS tossing ya man from PM Dawn off stage during his set. Melle Mel was and is very Hip-Hop, albeit a sore loser, but nonetheless, quite Hip-Hop. Know your history and do the knowledge.

Comment by Fosterakahunter 04.08.08 @

ha hahaaaa thats ultra hiphop!
thx

Comment by bongolock 04.10.08 @

Kool Moe Dee said it years ago that Mel was no battle rapper!

Comment by 300 Prospect 04.10.08 @

anyone have audio of this?

Comment by thesurgeongeneral 04.12.08 @

neither 1 of these dudes can see silver fox…AND THATS THE TRUTH…FANTASY 3

Comment by ajay-what!! 12.03.08 @

@ Fosterakahunter:

No question, you can say what you want but Mikey D would have gotten lumped by Melle Mel or Caz for that matter…big dudes man…The internet is 1 thing reality is another…

Comment by QUNYC 12.04.08 @

IMO, Melle Mel has always been over rated. I’ll give him his props for the work he put in with the 5. But, thats where it stops. Moe Dee could’ve ended mels career before dude ever went solo. Moe Dee even had a better solo career. If Mel and Moe Dee drop lp’s right now, Moe Dee would do better numbers and get more props from the hood ’cause he’s just the better rapper all the way around ……

Comment by Prospect hill 12.07.08 @

YEAH MELE MELL WAS NO JOKE! AND THEM BRONX NIGGAS WAS ON SOME OTHER SHIT. NAH I WOULD’NT FACE CAZ AND MELL AND GASTAPO, AND CASINOVA. IF YOU DONT KNOW THOSE NAMES… STUDY YOUR HISTORY SILVER FOX BABY!!!!!! FANTASY THREE

Comment by MC SILVER FOX 04.24.13 @

mm

Comment by Old Skool Ran-Dee 07.15.14 @

Silver Fox said it best. Mikey-D, never had a chance. These 2 (Caz and Mel) were not there alone. This is the 80’s. This ain’t now a days, where it’s all BS. Mikey-D did the smart thing. Trust me on that. He would’ve gotten hurt.

Comment by Old Skool Ran-Dee 07.15.14 @