G Rap Performing It’s A Demo
Monday July 07th 2008,
Filed under: G Rap Week,Killa Queens,Video Clips

While I put the finishing touches to the Dr. Butcher interview, here’s some classic G Rap footage from The Meaning of Dope (thanks to Dallas for the tip). Is that a Dapper Dan 8-Ball jacket?

WOW!! when is saw this footage the shit looked so familiar it was crazy TRUTH BE TOLD i think i was at this party “IF MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECT THIS IS THE DAYS INN ON W57TH IN MANHATTAN” “THE INFAMOUS PETER SHCU” on of the flyest heavyweight ballers in harlem (who was sent 2 prison cuz MADONNA was in love with him and wanted his baby but PETER wouldn’t marry her so she turned the feds on to him n got him knocked TRU FUCIN’ STORY) used 2 give “BIG-WILLIE” parties @ this local from time 2 time a unforgettable era in HARLEM i was only like 11-12 @ the tyme don’t ask me how or why i was there LOL but it was what iz was ya dig? “PEACE TO ALL THE BROTHERS AND SISTERS DEAD IN JAIL STRUNG OUT OR STILL IN THE STRUGGLE THAT EVER DID IT OR SEEN IT DONE YOUR HUSTLE WAS NOT IN VAIN SOME OF US STILL REMEMBER AND RESPECT IT THANKS FOR THE BLUEPRINT” HARLEM4EVER

Comment by Bran THE Don 07.08.08 @

In other G Rap related news; an early cited influence of his, Silver Fox, has turned up on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/silverfox125

an interview is worth a shout ay it Rob?

Comment by The average man 07.08.08 @

^ Nice work…I’m on the case.

Comment by Robbie 07.09.08 @

It’s all about the dancers yo. Bring back that shit…

Comment by Disorda 07.09.08 @

DJ Disorda… you CAN’T watch a G Rap live video and say ‘its all about the dancers’ Thats like having a BLT and saying ‘its all about the lettuce’…You need to get out of London a bit :-)

That said, I’m always down to see some Skoob & Scrap Lover action in a Kane vid.

Comment by ED209˚ 07.10.08 @

Thank god for Video music Box and the illustrious ralph mcdaniels. I was like 10 when this was on pbs. This is when Biz rocks off of En Vogue and just crushes the crowd. those were the days. and oh yeah ed209 i think tcf crew was just a lil bit better than iou…but they were both incredible so greatness is greatness.

Comment by mercilesz 07.10.08 @

Kool G Rap is definitely one of those few lyricists that can pull off a live show extremely well. This was unquestionably/undeniably/inarguably one of his best joints ever, but Big Daddy Kane will ALWAYS be better (even though they’re down together).

Comment by DRLB 07.13.08 @

flat tops in the house

Comment by john idem 07.14.08 @

kane and grap are just as dope…kane may have had better beats.a rapper is nothing without a good beat.

Comment by mercilesz 07.14.08 @

“If the beat ain’t kickin then the rhymes are irrelevant”

Comment by ED209˚ 07.14.08 @

Actually, the real reason why I said Big Daddy Kane will always be better is because much of his repertoire consisted of songs that were inspirational and spiritually uplifting. He was a lot like Rakim (I don’t care what you say; Kane did NOT bite his style), Kool Moe Dee and KRS-One (even LL Cool J, when you check out the “Change Your Ways” joint from his third LP) in that he did a great deal of political commentary, and attempted to help those less fortunate than himself. In comparison, G Rap made damn near NO effort to reach out to people struggling in the streets (sorry, but “Rikers Island” does NOT fit into that category). And, since most of his tracks were braggadocios, he was not able to sell as many records (you CANNOT blame it on advertising, since BDK was on the same label, and had two albums certified GOLD). Additionally, he did not know the formula to make a radio hit (and NEVER figured it out, even with the recent Hayley Duff single). He had all the lyrical hardcoreness to make him an underground legend, but not enough substance and versatility to become a mainstream master.

Comment by DLRB 07.20.08 @

However, I WILL give one thing to G Rap, though: he possessed a SLIGHTLY better vocabulary than Kane.

Comment by DLRB 07.20.08 @

road to the riches was an anti gangster song…rikers island does qualify as positive since it tells u y u dont wanna go….erase racism is a classic. i dont know homeboy…grap is kinda positivo

Comment by mercilesz 07.21.08 @

Well… you do have a point there. My apologies for forgetting those joints. Thanks for bringing them up. The only thing I’m wishing now is that G Rap could have done records like that throughout his ENTIRE career, and not just on the first two albums. He was a good emcee, but he could have become great if he had only chosen to embrace fighting for the future and working towards a new generation over crushing those who opposed him (and considering how notorious he was for being a potent lyricist, not many, if any, chose to). And I mean REALLY EMBRACE IT. I don’t mean make three damn joints and then say “Okay, this is it. I’m going back to the dissing style.”

It’s like when Moe Dee released “Knowledge is King” back in 1989… no other rapper during that era had the guts… the sheer cojones… to say this, and nobody nowadays does, either. I personally rank it as the fourth greatest hip-hop album of all time (the other three being, from #3 to 1, “Paid in Full,” “Long Live the Kane,” and Lupe Fiasco’s “The Cool.” No, I am NOT kidding about that last one).

Comment by DLRB 07.22.08 @

krs-one stands for knowledge reigns supreme over nearly every one. that was in 86. i have no idea what ur talking about. 1

Comment by mercilesz 07.22.08 @

Actually, the original acronym for KRS-One’s stage name was “KRS-Number-One.” He used this from 1986 to early 1988 (I don’t think that he had a designation yet back in 1985, when he released “Success is the Word” with Scott LaRock under the group title 12:41). By mid-1988, he started utilizing the “Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly Everyone” backronym. But, once again, another mistake on my part, as I forgot that “By All Means Necessary” came out a full YEAR before Kool’s third LP. Once again, I’m sorry, and thank you for the corrections.

And, when I say 1, I mean that I personally consider Lupe Fiasco’s “The Cool” to be the number one (#1) greatest hip-hop album of all time. This isn’t a joke, either. As for the reasoning why, I’m going to paraphrase MagnumOpus:

“He is the Michael Jordan of hip hop. While he may not be particularily dominant in a given category, he maintains a delicate balance in every category that placed many preceding rappers in the halls of the all-time greats. His talent spans every category: Eminem’s technical skill, Biggie’s lyrical dexterity, Andre 3000’s complexity, Jay-Z’s mainstream appeal, KRS-One’s political ranges, Common’s social consciousness, Nas’ visual imagery (he was Lupe’s most important influence, BTW) and Rakim’s utilization of the expansion of his flow.

“Lyrically, I have not heard an emcee whose stanzas contain as much depth, complexity, attention to word choice, strong usage of metaphors, similes, etc. When you listen to the classic songs of the preceding rappers, they utilize three (or more) verses to fully explain their thoughts. Lupe dared to go a bit further by filling one verse with so much information that it is impossible to understand it all in one listening. He explains his penchant for stuffing his verses in ‘Trials and Tribulations.’

“The major point of emphasis that pushes him ahead of emcees like Big Daddy Kane and Rakim is the depth that he places into his songs. It seems as if a large variety of his songs have a background depth to them, somewhat similar to the complexity of a web. You will never get the meaning of the song in one listen. Take “Lupe the Killer”, where he cleverly spits about how slick he is with his rhymes as well as explaining how he had a drug dealing operation which funded his rap career and the start of 1st and 15th, his label. One of his best songs lyrically and depth-wise would have to be ‘Dumb it Down’.

“All in all, Lupe Fiasco is and will retire the greatest because he is not corrupted by the evils of commercialism and just makes the creative music he wants to do. A lot of underground artists have argued that people don’t want quality anymore and that is why they aren’t selling records. But Lupe has cracked the formula. He found a way to gain listeners and fame without dumbing down his lyrics for the public. He’s also the opposite of what today’s youth idolizes: the D-boy. He has made it popular to do the opposite of what everybody else is doing.”

Comment by DLRB 07.22.08 @

And, on a slightly unrelated note for those of you who are doubting Big Daddy Kane’s power to gain respect and motivate others, I’ll give you two examples. First, the fact that, when BDK released his first LP, “Long Live the Kane,” he actually sung the hook on the fourth track, “The Day You’re Mine.” HE CAN’T SING! But the respect level for him was so very high that fans acted as though it didn’t happen. That was the power of Kane. Next, a comment posted on YouTube directly to him:

“Ever since I heard “Set it Off” in Glencove N.Y. while sitting in the back seat off my cousins car…I became a Big Daddy Kane fan. His wordplay did miracles for my swagg, confidence, and awareness of how to put my own lyrics down. Even though it’s 2008, I can remember the feeling I had listening to “Raw” in 1989 before a highschool football game to amp myself. Kane is a bona fide Original, “Ain’t no half steppin” -88-89-was my theme music for everything I did that I felt was Kane like, such as gettin in where I fit in with the ladies to just kickin it with the crew…while our DJ went through his routine we would loop a lot of Scoob and Scrap type breaks with the fresh Cameo Cut. “Long Live The Kane” “The Day that you’ll be mine” Classics. BDK Thanks 4 raising me in that era in Hip-Hop when it was cool to have fun and be different. -DKD- Son of Howard Davis Jr. US Olympic Boxer”

Just a little something for the kids that only know him as a poetic player pimp ladies’ man with deadly lyrics and don’t realize how deep and positive he truly is as a human being.

Comment by DLRB 07.22.08 @

Lupe’s boring, Page the Hand Grenade is better than him, Party Arty is better than him, Tom J from the knucklehedz is better than him… the list goes on

Comment by ScubaHoodedFuneral 07.22.08 @

Somehow, I couldn’t help but think that an argument would come out of this. And it honestly makes me laugh that you would even DARE to compare Fiasco to Run-DMC-esque emcees. Well, to defend Lupe, I’m going to give you two samples of his lyrical genius, and I’d like you to show me anything written by those three that supersedes them:

1. “Dumb it Down”:

[...]
Who exudes confidence in excess depth
(His lyrics are complicated and deep)
Even Scuba Steve would find it hard to breathe around these leagues
(Leagues are a measurement of depth in water; his lyrics are so deep that it’s hard to breathe)
My snorkel is a tuba, Lu the ruler around these seas
(Lu is the ruler of hip hop and he is using the seas as a continuation of the water metaphor throughout the verse)
Westside Poseidon, Westside beside ‘em, chest high and rising
(Poseidon is the ruler of the seas in Greek mythology. Lupe is ready to rise up the ranks of rap’s elite and is also raising the depth of the waters/his lyrics.)
Almost touching the knees of stewardess and the pilot
(The water is rising so high that it is going to touch the skies where the planes are)
Luckily they make you fly with, personal floating devices, tricks fall out of my sleeves
(The water is so high that it is inside the plane. TRICKS refers to the magic of his words.)
David Blaine, make it rain, make a boat
(David Blaine plays on TRICKS while make it rain and make a boat refers to the story of Noah)
I make a plane
(He is so skilled that he is flying over everyone and he raises the bar to which rappers are judged)
Then I pull the plug and I make it drain
(If he leaves, rap will be depleted of his lyrical depth, also analogy of bathtub water)
Until I feel like flowing and filling it up again
(His flow is like water and he can do this anytime he wants. He can easily increase depth whenever he raps)

2. “Failure”:

“Pennies from heaven is the same as a Semi from the second
(Residing at the top, he drops coins from the top floor which are as deadly as bullets at that height)
And I rain supreme
(Rain is a double entendre. Rain: The coins falling as well as playing off the line about bullets, Reign means to rule as in Lupe rules supreme)
Turn your umbrellas down
(Refers to the rain from the previous line)
Did you even catch the change in theme?”
(If you turn the umbrella upside down, you can CATCH THE CHANGE that he dropped or the change in theme between change and bullets)

Comment by DLRB 07.22.08 @

And, also, just to put myself ahead of the game, I am going to respond to the three most predictable arguments that would most likely arise out of my original comments:

1. “He has recorded only two albums.”
The Notorious BIG recorded only two albums before his death and he is seen as either the greatest or one of the greats by many. As of now, Lupe has two albums and a three-part mixtape series in Fahrenheit 1/15. When he retires, Lupe will have put out three solo albums (his third and final, rumored to be a double disc), two of them classics in Food & Liquor and The Cool, a three-part classic mixtape series in Fahrenheit 1/15 and a collaborative album with Kanye West and Pharrell as CRS. This gives him plenty of material in which to be judged as he has had classic albums, top notch mixtapes and top notch guest features.

2. “He is a young emcee.”

Lil’ Wayne is twenty-five, calling himself the greatest rapper alive (which he is not) and both 2Pac and Biggie were considered the best when they died while in their twenties.

3. “How can you put him over legends who created his style of rhyming?”

There is a thing called evolution; the first computer was not the best, the first television was not the best. Just because you founded the style does not mean it can be expanded upon and perfected.

Comment by DLRB 07.22.08 @

here’s a predictable comment you failed to preempt:
4. Your criteria, judgment, and taste are all total shit, fuck knowledge

I’ll see your Lupe drivel, and raise you Party Arty’s chorus from AG’s “Weed Scented” (he crushes Lupe in 4 bars no less):

It’s so dirty they can’t believe that we did it
(it’s some stupid grimy shit, and the listeners are so fucking stoned and drunk on forties they’re in disbelief– the way it should be or a party’s just a bunch of nerds standing around)
It’s weed scented, get the dutch and put some trees in it
(That means it smells like marijuana, and then he’s genius enough to tell you how to smoke it, what you do apparently is get a cigarillo (Arty seems to prefer the Dutch Masters fine brand) split it, dump out the processed tobacco and put some marijuana in it, hint: that’s what trees is!)
Pack a shorty at the bar then leave with it
(this is a philosophical theory about how only bitchmade sissies die virgins, learn it and love it, Wormser)
Spit a verse, pass the mic..
(before the comma: what an emcee should do; after the comma: what Lupe should do)
fuck off dude you’ve totally ruined a perfectly good G Rap post.
Sorry Robbie but I had to serve this fool. Booger was right, these nerds need super joints.

Comment by ScubaHoodedFuneral 07.22.08 @

I knew that I would piss a lot of people off with this statement, which is exactly why I originally put it up. If you don’t challenge the regular, typical point of view on any and all subjects, you are not hardcore at the end of the day. You’re merely profane. You spoke loud, yet you said nothing. In attempting to “keep it real,” you completely annihilated whatever reputation you still manifested for being an intelligent, relevant, eloquent human (with your limited stock of words and references to self-destructive objects, it probably wasn’t even there in the first place).

I don’t care who I tick off. I made a lot of great points so you can argue if you want. It took me a long time to admit it though because Big Daddy Kane is my favorite and I REALLY did not want to admit how much better Lupe was. But perhaps I shouldn’t care, either. Your own stubbornness has put a veil up that made it harder for you to see Lupe’s grandeur, and may unfortunately do the same for others. I understand that this site was created to preserve the old-school, classic, earlier joints and traditions, but it blew a nine-millimeter through my brain when people could not appreciate Fiasco’s lyricism, enormous vocabulary, alliteration, assonance, social consciousness, delivery and complexity.

But, then again, I should have expected it, since his genius will not be realized until he is gone (which he will sadly do soon, at the age of TWENTY-FUCKING-SIX YEARS OLD, no less).

And, I read one of your earlier posts. His name is Chali 2NA, NOT Tuna, moron.

Comment by DLRB 07.22.08 @

Just for the hell of it, here’s two more examples. Go crazy with them:

3. “Trials and Tribulations”:

“They couldn’t believe how I took charge,
And made it describe how I push hard through the streets
And at the same time, I was pushin the margins so far to the left
That I ended up writin’ on my desks

4. “Mean & Vicious”:

“I’m just running with a barrel full of black powder
Wit a hole in it, hole in it, wheezin deep, breathin
Runnin from the fire on the trail, I keep leavin
I can’t shake it, I sweat, it’s heat-seekin
I keep seekin somewhere to hide from it, I can die from it
But it keep, keepin up just when I think that I’ve done it, it keep sneakin up
Ohh leakin barrel of black powder how that flame keep reachin us
Just one of the long rended extended metaphors of Lu’s
This time I use the example of a fuse
To demonstrate how I can’t lose
Truthfully, I have trouble with second verses
Cause the first one be so intimidating
It be bullyin, pickin on it, instigatin
Pointin out all the second one’s limitations
Like you ain’t nothin but an imitation
Like bits of bacon then it gets the chorus
And the beat to get together then they all gang up on him and get to hatin
But then around the 8th bar, he tires
Of they conspirin and comiseratin then he finds his inspiration
To spar
He takes a few seconds of Judo lessons
Sits back on beat then punches the guitar
They stand in awe like when did you write that
That ain’t even right, black
First verse already happened
So he ain’t have a chance to fight back”

Comment by DLRB 07.22.08 @

okay player, good luck, keep attempting to guerilla market a big boring waste of time through blog posts… you said “You spoke loud, yet you said nothing.” but I did say something I said: Your criteria, judgment, and taste are all total shit, fuck knowledge
and BTW, smoking weed and drinking forties is not self-destructive… it is altogether necessary! It made 90% of the art, Lupe is “evolving” as you say from…and take all this shit with you back to poetry class Herbie: enormous vocabulary, alliteration, assonance, social consciousness, delivery and complexity. Rap is not poetry, it’s verbal war…. on drugs!

Comment by ScubaHoodedFuneral 07.22.08 @

“smoking weed and drinking forties is not self-destructive… it is altogether necessary! It made 90% of the art, Lupe is “evolving” as you say from…”

Actually, no, it didn’t. At least not in the beginning. It was not incorporated into hip-hop until the third generation of emcees (1987-1990), with the rise of Ice-T, Cube and N.W.A. You can’t really count Too Short, because he mainly spoke about sex and pimp topics.

But, you’re right. This is a waste of time.

Comment by DLRB 07.22.08 @

krs meant knowledge reigns etc…on criminal minded 12″. wtf. im glad u big up lupe though. at least u buy rap. “u look at me and laugh, but this is ur class its an all out discussion….etc”
cmon man.

Comment by mercilesz 07.22.08 @

However, I’m not prepared to quit this argument just yet. I wouldn’t pull some “screw you guys, I’m going home” bullshit. I’ll give you a few more showcases, and then I’m done.

5. “Intro”:

I can’t feel a field nigga pain (remember the reference to slavery for later)

Devious skill to make a strong will nigga wain

Since a lil’ nigga hang (double entendre-slang usage and literally referring above to “field nigga”)

With the killers and the distributors of cane

They dismember-ers of Swishas and refill it with the Jane

Then they tilt it and they lit it with the flame

Then they took a pull of killer to the brain like (pulls, then pauses)

Evil-minded like Krang (villain from Ninja Turtles who’s literally an evil brain)

They became deranged like the Rover (reference to Range Rover) that I rode

That was the wings that I drove when I was a lil bit older

Mane, declaring war on the deck like they Joker (allusion to Batman and card game I Declare War)

All while ducking from Bruce Wayne (Batman/law enforcement) while they poker (play cards)

with the devil in our moon lit-en ghetto (Allusion to the line from the movie Batman where the Joker says “Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight)

(pauses)

hello, my name stickers (tags) on the stickers (heroin addicts) of the veins in rehab

rememberin’ the feelin’ when they used to get mellow

When they was on back of a nickel like Monticello (briefly, Monticello is Thomas Jefferson’s estate which was a plantation for slaves)

And the underworld (crooks or underground railroad?) had to be smarter than Donatello (allusion to the Ninja Turtles)

No honor amongst fellows

It’s harder than sitting with a blind man and…

Trying to describe yellow

Got me feelin like Killer Joe ( a character in a play named Killer Joe. He was a detective during the day and an assasin at night who walked the line between good and evil), my life the album

Know the classics by heart and exactly how the filler go

Repeat it on my way to the liquor store

6. “Hustlaz Song”:

“I’m just a rose in weeds
And I arose with reasons, to stay on this road I lead
‘Til I leave with what I sold, my soul, indeed
Leave my son with the sum of what I sold in deeds…”

7. “Failure” (again):

“This is saran wrap and aluminum foil
Some potpourri, a little machine oil
I stack my paper and throw off my cents (also scents)
This is top floor (flow), better look out below”

8. “Game Time”:

“im just tryna do the opposite of left
as long as theres the opposite of death
you test, and i just might bring the opposite of life
until theres no one the opposite of right”

9. “The Coolest”:

Do I love her?
I don’t know.
Streets got my heart
Game got my soul
Quote, to a crying dishonered baby momma who’s the momma ta a dauhter that I had fathered from a far
“My new lady gave me a Mercedes and a necklace with a solid gold key like the starter of a car, the opener of a door, or 2 pounds of raw.
You gave my a baby,
but what about lately?”
Then, ha ha ha ha ha. Right up in her face, G.
Theres more fish in the sea.
I’m on my mission to be…The coolest nigga

Nothing more needs to be said.

Comment by DLRB 07.22.08 @

yeah right Rammelzee never did coke, and Cowboy was totally straight-edge, in fact all hip hoppers were until ’87… sounds like yer reading from a book youngblood, get the facts, ask an old timer what it was for real, merc is right about KRS

Comment by bboyscoobydoo 07.22.08 @

Whoa… three mistakes in one post. I am EXTREMELY apologetic about that, mercilesz. Your feedback and input is always appreciated. I forgot to re-listen to the “Criminal Minded” 12″ inch LP. What initially caused my mess-up was not REALLY noticing the “Knowledge reigns supreme” references inside the lyrics. I didn’t realistically incorporate them historically into his biographical information until he actually started using the “Teacher” moniker, like I said before, from the second LP onward.

You are right in that I need to calm down. Thanks for reminding me (and not lashing out with a barrage of braindead insults). I don’t know what’s been going on with myself lately, making factual flaws left, up, down and across…

Comment by DLRB 07.22.08 @

Actually, I already knew that some emcees were secretly doing it back in the earlier days… but I just focus on lyrics when I hear/analyze a rapper, and, considering that the first/second generations were the “rock the party and have fun” eras, it was relatively well hidden until the time I mentioned before, when they came flat out of the closet. Sorry I forgot that as well.

Thanks for the advice. I did speak out of turn, and I’m not going to deny that for a second. I wouldn’t front, either… KRS-One has always been one of my favorite emcees. He’s in my top five undoubtedly. But he’s been doing it for so long that his songs have become more preachy than expressing his love for hip hop.

Comment by DLRB 07.22.08 @

KOOL G RAP

“He had all the lyrical hardcoreness to make him an underground legend, but not enough substance and versatility to become a mainstream master.”

underground legend or mainstream master?
decisions decisions….

Comment by ED209˚ 07.22.08 @

exactly my point ED, you see DLRB we love G because he stayed an underground rebel legend instead of becoming a mainstream corporate douche bag like Lupe (he might have his own record company that was started by drug-dealing but no one in the underground heard of him til he was on the cover of Fader, a Kanye and Pharell coattail-rider). Your whole misinformed perspective is very non-DIY (that means do-it-yourself BTW, an essence that seems to dwindle more and more, because of kids like you allowing yourselves to be spoonfed), and to me and it seems like a lot of fools who post on here if it’s not from the ground up it ain’t worth bothering our hip hop brains with. Mainstream Master means some tool in a corporate office dubbed you that, underground legend means the people in the streets believe you are, are you catching the difference? Who would you want to be down with, if you say the former, yer a conventional retard!

Comment by ScubaHoodedFuneral 07.23.08 @

party arty is better than lupe…show and ag albums where no joke back then….god im old…

Comment by mercilesz 07.23.08 @

DLRB have you ever kissed a girl?

Comment by The Average Man 07.24.08 @