Schoolly-D Records Special

Schoolly-D cannot be fucked with. His first three albums (and parts of his fourth) are timeless B-Boy documents. Anyone who can play a drum machine while rapping off the top of his head with his DJ scratching constantly beside him can do no wrong on my book. Here are some of the highlights of his Schoolly-D Records label before he signed his deal with Jive/RCA.

Schoolly-D - ‘Gucci Time’

The ultimate record to blast out the ride, especially if you’ve got a six-pack handy.

Schoolly-D - ‘Put Ya Filas On’

When this shit dropped, Fila was the shit. Not that corny stuff you see now, but the $500 imported tracksuits were the ultimate, ultimate.

Schoolly-D - ‘Saturday Night’

I learned everything I know about women from this song, which explains why my mother threw me out of the house and my unsavory obsession with nursery rhymes.

Pimp Pretty, Royal Ron & DJ M.A. $ - ‘Rock The B-Boy Stance’

D’s weed carriers get their Shout Rap on.

Royal Ron - ‘Opsta Now (Stop Now)’

Ron hit his stride with his improved delivery, catchy beat and a solid gimmick. Win!

Robbie B & Jazzy-J - ‘Rock The Go Go’

A poor man’s Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince?

Man how the fuck did you get so cool?

This was my shit! When that Grandmaster Flash shit comes in…the adventures of..and they turn that echo machine on 100 and ya boy start scratching… shit was over!!!! Looking at my Gucci it’s about that time…!

It goes a 1…2….1..2..3.. andddddddd

Comment by Qrush 06.05.09 @

Dope never heard the Royal Ron cuts before..

Comment by chronwell 06.05.09 @

man, I used to try to sneak ‘em home “noisy as hell and drunk as shit” when I moved back in wif moms too, Schoolly provided me with the best explanation for “Who the hell is that?”
“I really dunno she got into the car, I musta picked her up when I left the bar”
then when we got to the room it was always, “Hey baby is you on the pill, ’cause tonight I wanna be yo luvah, just one thing I forgot to by a rubber…” Seriously, Schoolly is hands down the most situationally quoted rapper in my life.
“Smokin a lacey in each and every hand…” I could go on and on…

Comment by zues 06.06.09 @

Yeah Schoolly was dope not doubt!! He even did all the artwork on his record covers!! not to mention,He put that Roland Drum machine to work!!!

Comment by Cuban 06.06.09 @

Haven’t heard those Royal Ron tracks for years, nice one. Never really liked ‘Rock the Go Go’, always thought the A side (Jazzy J on the scratch) was a far superior track.

Comment by 157 06.08.09 @

“Am I Black Enough For You” + “King Of New York” scene in old Brooklyn warehouse = GOAT hip-hop cinema

Comment by Mulatto Frank White 10.17.13 @