Unkut Vs. Combat Jack: EPMD = Great, But Not The Greatest

If you have even the slightest clue about this here rap shit, then you have to acknowledge the fact that Erick and Parrish pretty much had the game in motherfuckin’ headlock with their first four albums. They brought a brand new funk to the scene with Strictly Business, delivered cutting-edge beat science on Unfinished Business and executed a near-flawless B-Boy document with Business As Usual, while Business Never Personal showcased the mighty Hit Squad at the height of their powers while slapping the shit outta listeners with ultra-hard cuts like ‘Boon Dox’. Combat Jack is going to tell you that based on the strength of this discography they automatically qualify as rap’s ‘Dopest Duo’ (word to Craig G), but that’s not the whole equation. My main motivation behind the ‘M.O.P are the greatest’ declaration is the fact that they’ve outlasted everyone and are still bringing that heat. It soon became clear that the most effective way to illustrate the Mash Out Posse‘s superiority is through the classic Take An ‘L’ Comparison Test. Let’s get it in!

Has the crew has ever broken-up under controversial circumstances?

EPMD: You bet.
MOP: Never.

EPMD: Affirmative.
MOP: You gotta be kiddin’ me.

Number of sub-par solo albums released while the group was on hiatus that almost tarnished legacy beyond repair:

EPMD: Six
MOP: Zero.

Recorded song with fruity boy band?

EPMD: Nah.
MOP: Afraid so. That LFO collab is some effed-up shit.

Contains a member who has referred to himself as the ‘MC Rap Goddess’?

EPMD: Pause, Erick Sermon. Pause!
MOP: Sure ya right.

Released a song where one member plays the part of the other dudes..um…’member’?

EPMD: Mr. Bozack, huh?
MOP: Fuckouttahere.

Recorded shitty hip-house and rock-rap tracks?

EPMD: Guilty.
MOP: Repeat offenders of the latter, although sometimes it works.

Do they run endless sequels into the ground?

EPMD: They should have stopped at ‘Jane 3′.
MOP: Four versions of ‘Downtown Swinga’ is pushing it, but at least they’re all good.

Contain a member who’s been the target of endless ‘Gay Rapper’ speculation?

EPMD: Headshot!
MOP: C’mon dude…

Need I continue? I count that as eight ‘L’s to the Brothers From Brentwood, LI, and three to the Brownsville Brawlers. How can you go wrong with scientific proof like that? There’s been a lot of talk about who has more hits and classic albums, but not falling off is after all these years is a far more impressive feat in my book. If all we got in this world is our balls and our world, then M.O.P don’t break them for nobody! Salute!

I’m not going to waste your time by running through the Bill and Fame‘s old achievements, I’m sure you’re already familiar. It seems more appropriate to showcase six recent appearances they’ve made. How many new records include Erick and Parrish features again?

M.O.P ft Busta Rhymes - ‘Blow The Horn’

J Dilla feat. Lil’ Fame - ‘Blood Sport’

DJ Babu feat. M.O.P - ‘Dearly Departed’

Jake One feat. M.O.P - ‘Gangsta Boy’

Stoupe feat. M.O.P. - ‘Transition of Power’

Statik Selektah feat. M.O.P - ‘The Good Life’

Elsewhere: Combat Jack delivers his closing argument cops a plea.

Read Part 1 if you missed it….

That’s a very fruity picture of E Double … !

Comment by Brock 06.15.09 @

Blow The Horns On ‘Em!

M.O.P…to the death

Comment by AFFEX 06.15.09 @

Why am I still the only one who has yet to hear the full story about EPMD and the fuckery with home invasions and jumping out of windows???

Comment by BurDenDEr 06.15.09 @

MOP all day every day. Matta fact, I would put MobbDeep up against the Mash Out Posse and see where that shit go. EPMD gave us some classics, but the majority of their music was below par

Comment by BETONBLACK 06.15.09 @

i know nobody’s going to agree with me, but i have collected like every single fart mobb deep have ever recorded over the years, and as far as sheer quantity of crazy records, nobody’s messing with them. don’t front, even the post-murda muzik albums had a couple of joints, and if you hunt down all their mixtapes, b-sides, bootlegs, etc., it’s not even funny how many bangin mobb deep tracks there are.

so yeah.

mobb deep > m.o.p./epmd

Comment by spotrusherz 06.15.09 @

@spotrusherz: Mobb are great, but they’ve released some weak shit over the years.

That being said, ‘Everyday Gunplay’ and ‘First Day of Spring’ > most group’s careers.

Comment by Robbie 06.15.09 @

You do realize on the first cut above, M.O.P. drops a quote from EPMD and gives them their props as one of raps true legends. Did you just shoot yersself in the foot on purpose/

Comment by Combat Jack 06.15.09 @

@Combat Jack: M.O.P also blew EPMD away when they cut ‘Symphony’ but I didn’t want to rub salt in the wound.

Comment by Robbie 06.15.09 @

I’ve been looking forward to this all week – not sure which way you were gonna go with it – but when you said

“Has member of the crew ever thrown himself out of a window as part of some bizarre love triangle?”

I laughed so hard I spit water all over my monitor. I may not agree MOP > EPMD, but this post wins off that line alone.

Comment by Frost Gamble 06.15.09 @

..and they shit on PMD on one of his solo albums. Cant remember wtf its called.

M.O.P always slay people on thier own tracks though jadakiss actually does ok on that static joint.

Comment by gx 06.15.09 @

What does any of that shit you posted have to do with the only thing that matters when judging musical artists…..THE MUSIC. To mention M.O.P in the same breath as EPMD is damn near blasphemous. With that being said, this blog is irrelevant because neither of them have achieved the same critical or commercial success of Outkast and they had an 11 year run of consistently making ground-breaking, relevant music.

RonTucker

Comment by RonTucker 06.15.09 @

this feels like when u did that thing about not really feeling Run DMC …need a little controversy to get your site talked about again do we ? lol
its cool tho but for someone who really knows his rap history like i thought you did why shit on EPMD of all groups ??
MOP is dope and 2nd and 3rd album is good stuff but we’re talking bout legends like EPMD , i think a comparison wit Mobb Deep would fit better both from the same era and such … Mobb wins easily tho

Comment by Dro 06.15.09 @

Sorry, but what do these facts have in relationship with the music? For me, all the EPMD albums until 1992 are classics, and don’t forget the constellation of artists behind them: Redman, K-Solo, Das EFX, Keith Murray… Man, EPMD is great, for me is greater than M.O.P. Don’t disrespect for M.O.P., but for me EPMD is one of the greatest duos of rap, along with Gang Starr, Mobb Deep, Eric B. & Rakim or Pete Rock & CL Smooth.

Comment by mberon 06.15.09 @

EPMDEE CANT BE COMPARED TO MOP OR MOBB OR OUTKAST OR ORGANIZED OR ANY OF THE GROUPS PEOPLE HAVE BEEN LISTING HERE. EPMDEE WERE THE 1ST AND THE BEST AND THERE IS NO DENYING THIS.THEY HAD THE BEST BEATS AND RHYMES AND NOT ONLY RULED THE UNDERGROUND BUT THE CLUB DANCEFLOOR ACROSS THE U.S. U CANT SAY THAT ABOUT MOP. THIS ARGUMENT IS DUMB ONLY BECAUSE PEOPLE WHO SAY ALL OF THESE NEW GROUPS ARE BETTER DIDNT START LISTENING TO RAP TIL AFTER 1993 WHEN EPMD DIDNT CARE ANYMORE.THEY HAD ALREADY WENT GOLD 4 TIMES AND INTRODUCED THE WORLD TO REDMAN DAS AND KSOLO. MOBB AND MOP DIDNT COME OUT WITH THEIR OWN REAL PROJECTS UNTIL 92-93 AND DRE’S GFUNK SOUND OF THE SAME YEARS IS JUST ERICK SERMON’S CLASSIC PRODUCTION STYLE. THIS IS SILLY.

Comment by Mercilesz 06.15.09 @

Funny ass post though.

Comment by Combat Jack 06.15.09 @

But still no one is even mentioning Gangstarr, Robbie c’mon man u know hip-hop, without gangstarr der would be a piece missing from hip-hop.And please nobody tell me they r not a duo because a duo consists of two members in a group. Wats a tough track made of a tough beat and nice lyrics. Guru provides dat tough rhyming flow and premo provides dat golden beat. Who agrees wit me, Robbie wouldn’t u agree wit me. Can u please contact me also, i would like to hear ur perspective based on my post.

Comment by dmitry aka brooklyn jew 06.15.09 @

dmitry, I mentioned to Gang Starr, a good MC: Guru (but not the best), and a producer: DJ Premier (for me, the best).

A fact of the productions of DJ Premier, it’s that many songs he has produced for other artists, not for Gang Starr, I like them more than the Gang Starr produced ones… LOL.

Comment by mberon 06.15.09 @

EPMD > M.O.P.

I luv MOP but you gotta keep in mind Premo formed and shaped M.O.P. to what it has become throughout the years. If not for Premo Fame and Danze would be on the same spot as Smoothe and Trigga are right about now. Premo made them.

EPMD on the other half is from a generation before them.. grinding way longer. EPMD is hall of fame. Erick on production.. Def Squad, Hit Squad. That all came forth from their foundation.
Maybe a miss here and there but they earned their stripes and they the generals of this rap shit.

EPMD > M.O.P.

Comment by supreme 06.15.09 @

I wouldn’t agree with the article, but it was a damn good read. Many interesting points. I love MOP, and I love EPMD. I would however put MOBB ahead of both of them. To me, MOBB is their own brand of Hip Hop. I would not put Gangstarr in this discussion, for the simple fact that the other groups had 2 MC’s, but to me GangStarr is the best rap outfit of all time.
Again, this article was the shit..But during their time period no one fucked with EPMD.

Comment by Shawamar 06.15.09 @

Regardless of some of those points or whatever-have-you… nah, homie.

Even you’ve said that thru EPMD’s initial FOUR YEARS, they’ve had the rap game in a chokehold. The repped and set the standard for the hardcore movement in the early-90s.

Meanwhile, after 15 years, has MOP EVER had the game in a chokehold at ANY point? Or did they simply make good records for a longer time?

By that standpoint, you could say Rakim’s prime is pretty much inside of six years (’86-’92), but because someone like say AZ has been (kinda) consistent for 14 years, he’s better. Sounds totally nutso, right? Exactly.

Comment by DanjaMania 06.15.09 @

to piggyback off of what DanjaMania said

as far as MOP its hard to “fall off” when you have nowhere to fall off from…you’ve stated that EPMD was on top, did their thing and then diminished…well everybody falls off sooner or later when they get to the top…MOP has just kinda existed for a long time…you don’t get props for that

Comment by Detroit P 06.15.09 @

think you lost a lot of respect for this post Robbie..but then again i dont think you care…anyhow… I was in Brownsville the other day btw ..lovely area you should come and check it out someday…

Comment by Dro 06.15.09 @

ha ha filed under fudge rap, cuz duos are fudgey

Comment by zues 06.15.09 @

now let me scrub the head cuz it smells like bitch

Comment by zues 06.15.09 @

gotta agree with cj… funny ass post man… you still lost the battle tho

Comment by er4se 06.15.09 @

I think this settles it:
MOP did a song with “boy band” LFO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbC5t7LFSqI

Comment by keatso 06.15.09 @

OUTKAST? THE FUCK OUTTA HERE!!!!!!!!
how about Public Enemy for a two-MC crew?
you know i just fucked up your theory…

Comment by Arkitek 06.15.09 @

not to mention Tha Liks, two MC’s essentially, E-Swift and J-Ro before Tash, and with Tash, just J-Ro on the mic with E-Swift on the boards… two MC crew, and a tight record when it comes to dropping dope albums…

Comment by Arkitek 06.15.09 @

and, and, and, I hope you aren’t classifying ‘No Pressure’ as a weak album, considering the ill production and guest spots, including the first 3 Keith Murray verses when he was crazy Hype… Redman, Ice Cube, Kam, Shadz Of Lingo, Joe Sinister… what?

Comment by Arkitek 06.15.09 @

SALUTE!

Comment by swordfish 06.15.09 @

M.O.P for the win!!!

FIIYYAAHH!!!

Comment by pete 06.16.09 @

best duo is Pete Rock and C.L Smooth! Period! :)

Comment by RowanB 06.16.09 @

EMPD > MOP

Combat Jack is right. If you compare their recorded output, there’s no contest.

Comment by KQ 06.16.09 @

Bottom line: NONE of MOP’s albums are better than EPMD’s first four classics so EPMD still wins.

Comment by ian 06.16.09 @

Taking a shit on another man’s (alleged) sexuality to make a MUSICAL argument=L.
I’m mad I even took you serious enough to read that B.S.
Could you say that shit Sermon’s face?Was this shit worth it for the traffic?I guess only you know.
…..and oh yeah,(c) Ice Cube.
DanjaMania very thoroughly broke your sorry ass argument down it’s compound.F.O.H.

Comment by DJ Dan Speak 06.16.09 @

rowanb said:”best duo is Pete Rock and C.L Smooth! Period!”

HALLELUJAH!!! If it wasn’t for the Mobb they’d be my second pick

Comment by dj blendz 06.16.09 @

What about Ultra … Ced Gee and Kool Keith!!! I know some people are gonna say they were a group … but then TR and Tim Dog were to CG and KK, what Redman and K Solo were to Erick and Parish (kinda), and then Mo Luv was a DJ, and EPMD had DJ Scratch!!!! BTW, why does everyone big up E Double’s production … for me it was all about PMD … those joints he blessed K Solo with on Tell The World My Name were hot!!!

Comment by Brock 06.18.09 @

Ultra was a group not a duo and for the purposes of this debate, duos are defined as groups comprised of 2 rappers so Gangstarr, Pete Rock & CL Smooth and Run DMC would not qualify but Mobb Deep, Organized Konfusion and Nice N Smooth would.

Comment by ian 06.19.09 @

If longevity and consistency were important in hip-hop LL would get a lot more respect. Your argument isn’t wrong but I tend to judge groups by their best stuff. I don’t care how much crap EPMD did because I don’t listen to it but I do listen to Strictly Business more than the whole catalogs of most other artists.

I’d put Nice and Smooth in contention too if my favorite of their rhymes weren’t this one:

“Teddy Tedd and I must prevail
I buy my gold by the pennyweight scale
on Thursday I got a check in the mail
I bought a solid gold 500 SEL
I tour the world my fortune untold
on the wheels of steel sportin’ dookie gold.”

Comment by Thunderthud 06.20.09 @

OUTKAST IS THE BEST YOU NEWYORK CENTRIC FUCKERS

Comment by fuckyall 06.25.09 @

outkast didnt do much for us in the tristate…do u though

Comment by Mercilesz 06.26.09 @

You’re like in your thirties and still calling cats “faggots”? the interviews at unkut are informed and great, but goddamn, i outgrew 8th grade, robbie.

Comment by no l.a. 06.29.09 @