Meyhem’s Top Five Songs That Represent Queens
Tuesday March 16th 2010,
Filed under: Not Your Average

During the interview with Meyhem which I dropped yesterday, I asked him which three songs he’d play to someone who’d never heard hip-hop from Queens before. He gave me five…

5. Nas - ‘New York State Of Mind’

Robbie: I need to listen to this every time Nas does something stupid to remind myself how ill he can be. Obviously, I listen to this a lot.

4. Capone-N-Noreaga - ‘Blood Money’

Robbie: EZ Elpee was on fire during this period, while NORE just ‘did him’ at his finest.

3. Mobb Deep - ‘Shook Ones Pt. II’

Meyhem: I respect Run-DMC, but my era’s the nineties. I listen to Run-DMC to this day, but if I wanna mention what makes me tick and influenced me in my youth and made me wanna rhyme? It’s that ’93 to ’97 era.

2. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - ‘Road To The Riches’

Meyhem: If you listen to what G Rap was saying and listen to how he’s flowin – and think about the time that came out and how advanced it was? That shit was crazy.

1. Iron Sheiks [Tragedy Khadafi & Imam THUG] - ‘True Confessions’

Meyhem: When this dropped, it was so retarded I lost my mind. Trag’s flow is so technical and stupid on that – it really took you to a whole ‘nother level. If you rap, you really had to kick it up a notch after you heard that. The second verse Trag kicks is so crazy…that’s hip-hop to me. That’s what I breathe. That’s what I came up on.

Comment by hl 03.16.10 @

co-sign…

Comment by er4se 03.16.10 @

“Robbie why you always coming down on Nas? He’s only 10 times better than anyone on your mixtape.”

Think he means the post-‘Illmatic’ Nas who, let’s be honest, is a bit of a mentalist.

Comment by PM 03.16.10 @

Nas did one dope album, and has done about an album’s worth of dope tracks since.

Comment by End Level Boss 03.16.10 @

Nas still shits on most of the rappers in the game!! His beat selection may not be the best at times but the brother still spits heat to this day!! I still fucks with Nas!!

Comment by Marc Davis 03.16.10 @

Nas is the best outta Queens for sure…

Comment by MAAD 03.16.10 @

Marly marl and mc shan THE BRIDGE! that has queens written all over it!

Comment by mercedes1010 03.16.10 @

Co-sign the shit outta that True Confessions joint. Beautifully grimy shit. Another Mobb joint you gotta throw up there, Drop A Gem on ‘Em. And the original version of Cormega’s Angel Dust with Mobb. Damn, CNN’s Parole Violators, Can’t forget that either. As far as Olu Dara’s first born goes: Yeah, he might have disappointed us at times but it’s easy to forget that at one time he was the illest MC walking and that was DURING the time that the WU, Biggie, Jeru, and OC was getting it in. The Lost Tapes, a collection of joints that didn’t even make it onto I am and Stillmatic, will BODY some of these cats’ entire careers. Don’t count your boy out yet.

Comment by oskamadison 03.16.10 @

And on some old school shit, I’d substitute Shan’s I Pioneered This for The Bridge and throw in Tragedy’s Live Motivator.

Comment by oskamadison 03.16.10 @

If were talking Queens I gotta say L.L, Tribe, and Run Dmc first and foremost…before any of these guys…then G Rap…then Nas. I don’t know man Nas has made some wack songs but hes made some really fucking dope songs too.

If you look at Nastrodomus,The Firm or I Am there are only 2 or 3 good songs on each record. The same goes for God’s Disciple but then I love most of Illmatic, a lot of It was written, At least half of Stillmatic, God’s Son and Hip Hop is Dead…and his untitled only has two weak songs…so he has had more ups and downs then L.L but that doesn’t mean he isn’t the shit ….when hes on hes…Queens get the money long time no cash.

Comment by Johnny Hardcore 03.16.10 @

‘How can Nas be garbage?’
Stand down Nas stans…I wasn’t shitting on his raps. It’s his extra-curricular antics that are a source of constant amusement.

Comment by Robbie 03.16.10 @

This is a dope list. One joint I think always gets slept on is Royal Flush’ Worldwide.

Comment by LEX 03.17.10 @

no love for Mic Geronimo (before he went all Puffy on us)??? “From crazy ass Queens-know what I am saying?” Shit’s Real!

Comment by BIGSPICE 03.17.10 @

@Robbie…what do you mean by Nas’s “extra -curricular antics” I’m confused. I can’t think of anything outlandish he did besides that time he went on the radio and called out a bunch of people in a rage…care to fill me in? lol

Comment by Johnny Hardcore 03.17.10 @

I think he’s refering to things like signing a label deal with the man who put out a record describing the details of boning your baby moms or paying 51K/mo in child support to a who-er or having the option to make an entire album with Premier, Large Professor or AZ and choosing to make one with Damien Marley instead. Nas is probably my favorite rapper but dude be wildin.

Comment by LEX 03.17.10 @

I meant that as no disrespect to Robbie I just couldn’t think of anything outlandish Nas had done….I don’t keep up on rappers personal lives to be honest…I didn’t think Jay and Nas squashing beef was a bad idea, nor is supporting your child

I heard about a Premier and Large Professor collabo’s but haven’t seen any proof that they didn’t happen strickley because of Nas

Comment by Johnny Hardcore 03.17.10 @

You’re right in all your points. I’m just refering to what has been in the public eye. Sure, squashing beef is a good thing, but I wouldn’t partner up with anyone I once considered an enemy. I have children and there is no way I wouldn’t provide for them in every way I could, but the amount is ridonkulous, especially considering the claims being made as to the split but that’s nobody’s business but theirs. As for the albums you can’t put all the honess on God’s son to make it happen. But you can put some of it. I’m not trying to dis Nas, his decisions are respectably his but I completely understand where Robbie’s comments are coming from.

Comment by LEX 03.17.10 @

I hear you…i’m confused by what you meant by this “As for the albums you can’t put all the honess on God’s son to make it happen.”…cause I didn’t say that God’s Son was his best album..if that is in fact what you are saying..lol…Some nice songs on there though…and Untitled to me is amazing minus like Where Not Alone and Project Roach.

Nas has a lot of misses but a bunch of dope songs too. Someone (cough cough…Robbie..haha) Should get his C.D’s out and go song for song, I’m willing to bet he has just as many or more dope songs than any other Rapper.

Comment by Johnny Hardcore 03.17.10 @

^I meant that last comment like…it would be cool to do that as an article type thing…I Love UnKut and don’t want to insult its creator but sometimes you gotta say something.

Comment by Johnny Hardcore 03.17.10 @

I was referring to Nas as “God’s son,” I didn’t mean the album. And it seems like Robbie has no qualms with Nas’ artistry.

Comment by LEX 03.17.10 @

Back on topic, Beatnuts “Super Supreme” is another goodie.

Comment by LEX 03.17.10 @

” Chill, Eat em up L” L.L Cool J

“Midnight” A Tribe Called Quest

“I’m not going out like that” Run Dmc

“Memory Lane” Nas

“Truly Yours” Kool G Rap

Comment by Johnny Hardcore 03.17.10 @

Does anyone have “enter the dragon” by Kool G Rap? It was a Marley exclusive and contained a sample of “I gotch’ya” by Joe Tex. Also, Shan may have rhymed over the same joint on a song called “rockin’ my house”???….

Comment by Dubzz 03.17.10 @

@Johnny: Maybe we should just blame Steve Stoute for all the fuckery like talking Nas off ‘On The Real’, not clearing ‘Calm Down’, trying to force Cormega into a bullshit deal so he could stay in The Firm, not paying most of the dude’s on ‘QB’s Finest’ etc.

Comment by Robbie 03.17.10 @

Dont sleep on nas. Remember when jay z said nas fell off and then nas came back and kicked his ass! Nas seems to drift out of his lane but when he is focused that dude brings the heat.

Comment by mercedes1010 03.17.10 @

So that’s why “Calm Down” wasn’t on “War Report”… I was just thinking the other day what if “Calm Down”, “Married To Marijuana”, “Judas Theory” and why not even “T.O.N.Y. Remix” were on that album – they should do some deluxe re-release with those on it!
I realize it won’t happen though…
By the way, who produced that “Marijuana” joint ?
Ez Elpee? Charlemagne? Or one of those completely-fell-of-the-map Naughty Shorts, G-Money dudes ? I don’t think it was Buckwild…

Comment by Blanco 03.18.10 @

@Robbie
I have heard some stories about Stoute but you know way more than me. I honestly have never heard of “On the Real” or “Calm Down” I would love to hear them all the same.

I don’t think Cormega’s inclusion on The Firm could have saved it to be honest. I do like some songs off of The Firm Album…”5 mins to flush”, “Phone Tap” “Desperados”

I only skimmed thorough Q.B’s finest and nothing caught my attention so I don’t know it well enough to have an opinion on it.

With all that said I don’t really see what any of that has to do with what I was talking about. I’m saying, with the exception of G Rap, Nas has more dope songs then anyone from Queens and just as many as any other rapper in the world ,and that Illmatic may have been over hyped but was and is still a great album.

Comment by Johnny Hardcore 03.18.10 @

I’M NOT FROM QUEENS BUT I THINK THERE IS A GOOD ARGUMENT THAT THE BEST HIP-HOP OVER TIME HAS COME FROM THAT BORO.
AS FAR AS NAS….HIS LPS DID GET MORE COMMERCIAL AND THE LAST TWO OF HIS LPS I COULDNT EVEN FIND A SINGLE SONG I LIKED. AND I WAS ONE OF THOSE DJS WHO COULDNT WAIT FOR HALF TIME TO DROP ON SINGLE,WAY BEFORE ILLMATIC EVEN.

I KNOW LL IS THE BIGGEST JOKE NOW.BUT HIS FIRST 5 LPS WERE FUCKING AMAZING.AFTER THAT HE WAS EMBARSSING.
I ARGUE LL IS THE GREATEST MC OF ALL TIME OUT OF QUEENS.LISTEN TO HIS FIRST TWO LPS,LISTEN TO PANTER SONGS LIKE “NITRO”.EVEN “THIS IS HOW I’M COMING” WAS A DOPE DOPE DOPE LP,WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ANY LOVE SONGS.
AND MAMA SAID????? “CHEESY RAP BLUES”,”TO DA BREAK OF DAWN”(my favorite dis record ever. DUDE HAS GEMS.
I THINK NAS IS INCREDIBLE AS A MC BUT IF YOU TAKE LL’S EARLY MATERIAL AND PUT IT UP AGAINST NAS????
AS MUCH AS I LOVED NAS…LL’S IS BETTER.
LL IS THE KING OF QUEENS OR WAS.
LL’S FIRST TWO LPS WERE AS GOOD AS ILLMATIC AND B.A.D. WAS IN MY OLD SCHOOL OUTTA TOUCH OPINION IS A DOPER LP.
“I”M BAD” NOBODY EVER BRAGGED THAT GOOD AND BELIEVED THAT ABOUT THEM SELF.
KOOL G RAP I THINK HIS FIRST 3 OR 4 LPS WERE AS GOOD AS NAS OR LL TOO.
TRAGEDY MIGHT BE THE MOST SLEPT ON MC OUTTA QUEENS EVER.HE SHOULD BE A HOUSE HOLD NAME…AND DUDE CAN STILL SPIT AS SICK AS ANNNNY BODY.

OH AND MC SHAN..NOW I’M SHOWING MY AGE.YO THAT BROTHER MADE SOME FUCKIN’ INCREDIBLE LPS WITH SOME OF MARLY’S BEST PRODUCTION. RECENTLY I WAS LISTENING TO SHAN’S LP “BORN TO BE WILD” AND WAS BLOWN WAY BY THE PRODUCTION AND HIS SKILLS.
SHAN MIGHT NOT BE AS SLICK OR LYRICAL AS THE VERY BEST OF THE BEST OUTTA QUEENS BUT HE HAS FUCKIN CLASSICS!!!!!
GREATEST GROUP EVER = RUN-DMC I SHOULD SAY MY FAV GROUP EVER.PUBLIC ENEMY CLOSE 2ND THO.
THE FUTURE OF QUEENS HIP-HOP IS MEYHEM LAUREN.

MEYHEM IS IN MY OPINION ON NAS,LL,Q-TIP,TRAGEDY’S LEVEL WHEN THEY WERE AT THERE BEST.
AND WATCH FOR NUTSO TO PUT QUEENS BACK ON THE MAP TOO.VERY CREATIVE MC!!!

Comment by DJ DAVITO 03.25.10 @