Rest In Peace GURU
Tuesday April 20th 2010,
Filed under: Announcements,Rest In Peace,Video Clips

Respect Due To The GURU

This is fucked the fuck up. I can’t add anything to the piece I wrote in March other than to say Rest In Peace Keith Elam…a true Master of the Ceremony. I can still remember the first time I heard the ‘Positivity’ remix on the radio….

A True Legend
R.I.P Gifted Unlimited

Comment by TREM ONE 04.20.10 @

Sad sad news. REST EASY GURU.

Comment by TRUST WINTERS 04.20.10 @

Fuck!!! Damn man, I guess someone saw it coming. RIP!! I still have my original TAPE of No More Mister Nice Guy..which was a dope song by the way..who can forget “DJ Primier In Deep Concentration”? That made me get my DJ Game up!!

Dee El Sends
P.E.A.C.E.

Comment by Dee El 04.20.10 @

Sad news. One of the greatest.

Rest In Peace

Comment by Steve 04.20.10 @

Gone but not forgotten.

rest in peace

Comment by Big Gist from Brooklyn 04.20.10 @

RIP – let’s hope Solar doesn’t bombard us with wack ‘unreleased’ tapes etc!

Comment by farns 04.20.10 @

Robbie, Did you peep “Guru’s” “Letter”? Something seems really, really strange about it. I’m saying, I don’t really believe Guru intentionally shits on the legacy he and Preemo left..just dosen’t seem right, or is it me??

Dee El Sends
P.E.A.C.E.

Comment by Dee El 04.20.10 @

yeah, that letter looks highly suspicious, why would Guru hours away from death, devote his precious time rambling about Solar? Like a whole third of the letter? And then to carry some kind of animosity against premier to his grave? Bear in mind that this info comes from SoL(i)ar..im keeping my fingers crossed until someone else confirms it.

Comment by PAS 04.20.10 @

That letter is a bunch of bullshit! That shady lying ass solar wrote that fraud shit! I cant stand a lying ass motherfucka!!

Comment by mercedes1010 04.20.10 @

Incredibly sad… one of my heroes in the early 90′s for sure.

R.I.P Keith EE

Comment by D-square 04.20.10 @

r.i.p.guru keithy e

thanx for all da memories.

Comment by swordfish 04.20.10 @

O.C.’s BORN TO LIVE RINGS THROUGH MY HEAD TODAY!

Comment by ACthePD 04.20.10 @

What the…. I am speechless. Plays “Something in the past” in the background. Tear.

Comment by Rene 04.20.10 @

Letter drama and all other BS aside, I’m not happy dude is dead. Not really because i was a huge “fan” of his mcing or was waiting for some reunion, but because i’m going to have to deal with 1000% more kids telling how he was the greatest and pushing their “tribute tapes”/”evening of gangstarr classics” on me. Don’t get me wrong, i enjoyed Guru’s music and was glad i had a chance to see the man live and appreciate what he did before he passed. I enjoy appreciating people’s music at my own pace and without any prompting on behalf of an emotional majority.

“A man’s dying is more the survivors’ affair than his own.”
-Thomas Mann

Do you want to see Solar make a career out of his “partner” being dead? Well you’re going to get to.

Comment by lair 04.20.10 @

Sad to hear the news. Rest In Peace.

Comment by CrateDigga78 04.20.10 @

peep those vids his nephew made, i know the initial one he posted got a lot of views but the follow ups were just as disturbing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I1aSzzTS1k

Comment by pedro 04.20.10 @

“Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal
Those who ain’t equipped gets flipped in my circle”

Rest In Peace, Keith Elam
Condolences to his family, friends and all those who truly loved him.

Comment by oskamadison 04.20.10 @

“…don’t ask me if I’m Muslim, don’t say nothing to me. I told you I was raised like one, son, I had two cousins……

R.I.P. Guru.

When I get home I’m going to bump Moment of Truth which is the last Gangstarr album I purchased.

Comment by Bug 04.20.10 @

RIP Guru

Comment by dj blendz 04.20.10 @

RIP to Guru for sure, absolute legend. Gang Starr forever!

Comment by Mag7Music 04.20.10 @

Guru was a great with love for his craft and nearly constant elevation in his execution of it, and conveyed a vision of self-determination and change for himself as well as the younger generaion. In his lifetime he was great not as any part of revisionist history because he passed away. May his voice always be heard.

Comment by Matt 04.20.10 @

Generation, that is, and that’s the truth. Who’s gonna take the weight?

Comment by Matt 04.20.10 @

DAMMIT MAN I’M TIRED OF HEARING LEGENDS PASS AWAY AND WE WAIT TILL THERE GONE TO HONNOR THEM FUCK. SO HERE IS MY R.I.P. LIST

1.BUFFY AKA HUMAN BEATBOX (FAT BOYS)
2.GURU (GANGSTARR)
3.FREAKY TAH (LOST BOYS)
4.EAZY E (N.W.A.)
5.BIG L,PARTY ARTY (D.I.T.C.)
6.COWBOY (GMF&FURIOUS 5)
7.TUPAC (DIGITAL UNDERGROUND)
8.MC TROUBLE
9.LEFT EYE (T.L.C.)
10.BIG PUNISHER (TERROR SQUARD)
11.BIGGIE SMALLS (JR MARFIA)
12.TROUBLE T ROY (HEAVY D& THE BOYS)
13.TOO POETIC (GRAVEDIGGAS)
14.DJ SCOT LAROCK (B.D.P.
15.DJ TRAIN (MC REN, JJ FAD)
16.DJ SUGAR SHAFT, PROFESSOR X (X CLAN)
17.O.D.B. (WU TANG CLAN)
18.PIMP C (UGK)
19.TED DEMME (MTV RAPS)
20.BIG DS (ONYX)
21.GM ROC RAIDER (XMEN/XECUTIONERS)
22.PAUL C
23.SUBROC (K.M.D.)
24.JAM MASTER JAY (RUN DMC)
25.WISE (STSTASONIC)
26.MR.MAGIC (JUICE CREW)
27.BUGGS,PROOF (DIRTY DOZEN/D12)
28.J DILLA,BATIN (SLUM VILLAGE)
29.MC BREED (D.F.C.)
30.BUC 4,FROSTY FREEZE (ROCKSTEADY CREW)
31.MC HOOD (SENARIO REMIX)
32.JAMES BROWN (WITHOUT HIM NO HIPHOP CULTURE)

SAD TO HAVE ALIST THIS LONG. THESE BROTHERS&SISTERS WILL BE SURERLY MISSED THERE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE CULTURE OF HIP HOP WILL NOT GO UNFORGOTTON. DAMM THIS HITS HARD, BUT IT GOES TO SHOW WE BETTER DO THE HISTORY OF THIS CULTURE AND ALL OF IT’S 10 ELEMENTS LIKE GURU SAID ON THE DVD THE MC. AND STOP WAITING TO GIVE THESE PEOPLE THE HOMAGE AND PRAISE THEY DESERVE BEFORE IT’S TO LATE. DAMM

Comment by derrick 04.20.10 @

RIP Guru. I’m a 36 year old balding B boy from the UK. I can’t imagine what my teen years would have been like if Guru and Premier had never got together. Big loss.

Comment by Jon B 04.20.10 @

the gang starr playlist is on repeat… one of hip hop’s dopest duos, still remember buying step in the arena on tape when it came out… R.I.P. G.U.R.U.

Comment by er4se 04.20.10 @

Peace to GURU. Lots of love.

Comment by Crisis 04.20.10 @

R.I.P. Guru

Comment by bbatson 04.20.10 @

Gangstarr will always remain one of my favorite rap duo.

RIP Guru

Comment by Benjamin T 04.20.10 @

Thanks for the memories Guru….still remember burning out my Hard To Earn cassette like yesterday….much love to his fam and friends…Gang Starr forever.

Comment by Unseen the God 04.20.10 @

RIP Guru. Condolences to friends and fam.

Comment by headlock 04.20.10 @

His voice was one of the most recognizable of all in Hip-Hop, as soon as you heard it man you knew you were in for a listening experience with him and Premier, this duude dropped nothing but knowledge, Gang Starr had it on lock from ’90-’95, God Bless… his music will live on…

RIP

Comment by MAAD 04.20.10 @

R.I.P. Gurizzy

Comment by Kors Tha Force 04.20.10 @

RIP Keith EE “Guru” Elam!! Your gone in the physical but your spirit and great music will live on forever!!!

Comment by Marc Davis 04.21.10 @

pourin beers for the peers who passed on…

Comment by benny profane 04.21.10 @

R.I.P. GURU

R.I.P. HEADQUARTERZ

Comment by Blowyabackout 04.21.10 @

RIP king! I was bumping my favourite Guru songs ever “You know my steez”. Hiphop has lost another great one. We need to build a monument to this pioneers. As Rockwilder said on the The Deal on BET, recently, these rap pioneers burped and raised these new cats. Every new cat should feature a pioneer on their album.

Comment by jchubeta 04.22.10 @

Derrick,

When did Wise die?? You might want to check that one.

Dee El Sends
P.E.A.C.E.

Comment by Dee El 04.22.10 @

R.I.P. Guru, your legacy is everlasting, you put the Bean on the map and were a paragon of the hip hop movement

Comment by gstatty 04.22.10 @

whats with all our rap heros dying lately ??? first TONY D and now GURU,damn…. R.I.P.

Comment by T.S. 04.23.10 @

Dee El I might be wrong, but I saw his name mention on a r.i.p page on lord jamar’s 5%album back in 06 the album came with a book about the 5%nation it’s on page 78

Comment by derrick 04.27.10 @