Would You Pay $5,000 For The Purple Tape?
Friday April 23rd 2010,
Filed under: Announcements,Stan Status

If so, go here.

VERY RARE CASSETTE TAPE RAEKWON ONLY BUILT 4 CUBAN LINX PURPLE CASSETTE TAPE FACTORY SEALED ONLY

10.000 EVERY MADE WORLD WIDE DONT MISS OUT YOU WILL PROBLY NEVER SEE THIS CASSETTE TAPE AGAIN

FACTORY SEALED THE CASSETTE TAPE ONLY HAS 17 TRACKS THE NORTH STAR BONUS TRACK IS ONLY ON THE CD

Thanks to Marcus Respekt for spotting this.

HELL NO!! for what? because its purple?! that shit better come with a pound of purple haze!!

Comment by mercedes1010 04.23.10 @

What’s a cassette?

Comment by Dave 04.23.10 @

Are you serious? I thought they were ALL purple. Sheeeit, I got a purple tape. Maybe I should go dig it out and get it crackin’. And, how is that tape sealed? It clearly is not.

Comment by fosterakahunter 04.23.10 @

The pic on ebay is sealed, I just used a different photo.

Comment by Robbie 04.23.10 @

come the fuck on !! what idiot would pay for that !!! classic material indeed but nah!!! shit i’ll give u mine!!!

Comment by aRKayeM 04.23.10 @

Honestly, if I could afford it I would buy it. If If had NBA money thet shit would be on my wall right now.

Comment by hl 04.23.10 @

Yeah, that’s the type of shit I’d buy if I was filthy rich.

Comment by Ridiculous Fish 04.23.10 @

Ha! This is on EBay practically every week, and not for triple digits.

Comment by Werner von Wallenrod 04.23.10 @

no real head is gonna cop that much cheddar for a tape… let a privileged heeb like rosenberg pay 5 g’s…

Comment by er4se 04.23.10 @

^
Word, I thought they was all purple too. I still have mine in old jewelry box.

Comment by BKThoroughbred 04.23.10 @

I got it too.I’ll wrap that shit up and sell it for 6

Comment by dj blendz 04.23.10 @

This reminds me of the ‘random rap’ craze of a few years back. But far more obscene!

Comment by Crisis 04.24.10 @

I offered him 6.66$ including overseas shipping of course.

Comment by jack in the box 04.24.10 @

I have mad tapes from that era, but I picked up the cuban linx CD because of the bonus track. Was North Star on the tape also?

Comment by hl 04.24.10 @

yeah i have this tape somewhere in a box, shit definitely is not worth no 5k, some sellers on ebay need to be bidding on marbles because they have surely lost theirs

Comment by gstatty 04.24.10 @

Very rare?? Are you joking?

1000 is very rare…

Comment by Benjamin T 04.24.10 @

c’mon man , 5.000 ,some want to earn fast cash , i know fellas who sell for 300$ ,

Comment by kris 04.24.10 @

That’s some bullshit! I wonder how much that moron thinks a wax cpoy of that album is?

Comment by DRL Rockwell 04.24.10 @

more like purple rape.

Comment by gx 04.24.10 @

More like 5,000 pesos which is about 3 dollars in US currency.

Comment by Friday 04.24.10 @

To put it into perspective, I paid 50p for the “Can I Kick It ?” cassette single yesterday.

Comment by CrateDigga78 04.25.10 @

OB4CL is a straight classic, we all know this. What’s funny is how it has distinguished itself from other classic, harder to find, cassettes simply because it is identifiably purple. The “purple tape” has basically become the Tiffany Dunk of hip hop tapes. Classic nonsense that some hypebeast wanting to boast his hip hop knowledge will cop for a grip and keep it sealed and “deadstock.” LOL.

Yeah, buddy, I got one too but it ain’t worth anything because all the printing faded from being autoreversed a thousand times in the Yellow Sony Sports walkman.

Comment by digglahhh 04.25.10 @

NO! and I’m a tape head, trust that!; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVMZ1NP9Bb4

and that was only a portion of the collection…

I’ll say this much; the tru value of OBFCL is very high for a tape; bout $50 bucks, but 15 grand? LOL, that’s laughable and any real tape collector will tell that in a heartbeat…

Comment by BIG D O 04.25.10 @

Hell fuck no!!!!!!! Thats all I gotta say about it!

Comment by Datnigga 04.25.10 @

yo i agree with dj blendz i have that shit to i would sell it for 6, not only that i have all the wu’s shit in cd and cassette and dont even get me started on my vinyl,got shit going back to early 81′ holla

Comment by jencks23735 04.26.10 @

There’s no fucking way that there’s only 10,000 OB4CL cassettes. C’mon man, that record was huge at a time where people were still buying cassettes and I’m supposed to believe that LOUD made 10,000. That guy pulled that number out of his ass.

Comment by Daniel Beaulieu 04.27.10 @

I wonder if this would have happened had Nas not referred to it as “the purple tape.” I say no. I had the CD and the tape. I don’t even remember why. I think I bought the CD the day it came out and a week later saw my friend’s purple tape and bought one for the hell of it. Money to burn living in the parents’ basement.

Comment by A'Pex 04.29.10 @

i have the purple CD but not the purple tape which eluded me…
but 5 gees?! fuck outta here

Comment by J 04.30.10 @

500.00 maybe…heard that only 9000 purple was
made..then the rest was a clear tape.

Comment by daddi$rich 06.13.10 @

I think the limited quantity thing is B.S. Everybody I know or have ever met with OBFCL has a PURPLE TAPE(including myself). I have never seen a clear one that is more rare to me. haha I got 2 purple tapes might have to hit ebay in a minute. Did’nt know it was caking like that.

Comment by Cresno 03.19.11 @