Filed under: Print Work,The Unkut Opinion,Unkut Originals
Written by: Robbie Ettelson
There are several things that can be expected when reading an interview with an established rapper or producer. Other than the obligatory wholesale abuse of the phrase, “you know what I’m sayin?’, approximately one in every three question and answer sessions will feature some kind of outlandish claim involving either innovations they haven’t been given credit for, or unique techniques that have been shamelessly plundered by their peers. Here are some of my favorites:
1. Although anything involving Kool Keith is best taken with a grain of salt, it was hard not to chuckle when he and Tim Dog listed the various trends they set off in rap in an issue of ego trip, including wearing Versace sunglasses, Tim’s sideburns, cutting your head bald, porno rap and wearing straw hats with feathers in them.
2. During a RapPages profile of J Sw!ft (Pharcyde, The Wascals), his production partner Lamarr mentioned that after J told Pete Rock that he used the Fender Rhodes on Bizarre Ride…, ‘then that sound popped out of nowhere on everybody’s records’.
3. DJ Muggs claimed in an interview with ThaFormula.com that, ‘Black Sunday gave birth to horror core Hip-Hop. It gave birth to the Gravediggaz. We invented a whole style of rap. Who came out at that time? The Flatlinerz too. That’s all off of the Black Sunday imagery.” In the same piece, he also insisted that RZA and Mobb Deep followed in his footsteps as far as their raw, gritty production sound.
4. K-Solo declared in a Hip-Hop Connection feature that during his time at Death Row, he influenced Snoop to lose his braids and grow an afro similar to the one Solo was sporting at the time, as well as inspiring Dre to name his next label Aftermath after he used the term in the song ‘Wolf Tickets’.
5. Cage seemed to be convinced that he held a copyright on the concept of ‘crazy white boy’ rap, taking exception to Eminem’s ‘insane’ lyrical antics and waging a personal vendetta against his ‘biting’. You may both want to have a word with RA The Rugged Man, by the way.
6. Prodigy prepared a huge list of the things he has pioneered in the infamous blog he wrote (in all CAPS) prior to his recent incarceration, all of which was gold. Highlights of his long list of first’s include, “RAPPING WORDS THAT DONT ALWAYS RHYME”, “HOW I FOLD MY BANDANA” and “WEB SITES, I HAD INFAMOUSSTORES.COM AND WAS WRITING BLOGS BACK IN 99 LONG BEFORE IT BECAME POPULAR IN HIP HOP TO HAVE A WEB SITE”. Rap dudes, Bow down to your new leader.
Originally published in HHCDigital #002.
What have you read in an interview that made you think, ‘You’re kidding, right?’, ‘C’mon, son!’ or ‘Fuckputtahere’?
31 Comments so far
Leave a comment
Leave a comment
Line and paragraph breaks automatic, e-mail address never displayed, HTML allowed:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>