R.I.P. Rammellzee
Wednesday June 30th 2010,
Filed under: Announcements,Rest In Peace

Rest In Power Rammellzee, 1960-2010. Shotgun in one hand, mic in the other – there will never be another.

i liked that clip from wild style, RIP

Comment by biggist from brooklyn 06.30.10 @

IKONOKLAST PANZERISM.
R.I.P.

Comment by pr2 06.30.10 @

Has anyone listed a cause of death yet?

Comment by haroon 06.30.10 @

^Only thing I heard was that he has been sick for awhile

Comment by keatso 06.30.10 @

RIP

Comment by kidgrebo 06.30.10 @

RIP Rammellzee a true b-boy and pioneer in Hip Hop. A few years ago I had a conversation with some younger cats who love the innovation of artists like MF Doom, Kool Keith, Ghostface, etc. I mentioned that a cat named Rammellzee was the progenitor to alot of the “wildstyle” innovations of those aforementioned artists as well as people like Pharrell who probably think they are doing something that has never been done before.

Do the knowledge on this brother, it is just sad that many will only find out his contributions now that he is gone in the physical. Robbie, you are to be commended for keeping the foundation and pioneers of this culture alive and relevant, peace to you as well.

Comment by bronxbred 06.30.10 @

i guess im spinnin beat bop at my next party.

Comment by mercilesz 06.30.10 @

I love ‘Beat Bop’ as much as everyone else but, for me, Rammellzee’s finest moment was on stage at the Amphitheater with Shock Dell. He had one of the best moments in a movie filled with great original-school emcees. So thanks for posting that. One of the most overlooked pioneers. R.I.P.

Comment by brad 06.30.10 @

If you wanna read a good write up on him — check out “How to Wreck a Nice Beach.” It’s a 300 some page book on the history of the vocoder with an entire chapter is dedicated to Rammellzee complete with an interview. Might be the last before his death actually.

Comment by haroon 06.30.10 @

Rest In Peace Zee. Another legend leaves us too early, thanks for the memories dude.

Comment by Big Braveheart 06.30.10 @

R.I.P the most futuristic emcee ever!!

Comment by Scrapheap Lover 06.30.10 @

RIP

“Writin On The Wall/The Def Graffiti…”

Him n Shockdell at the amphitheatre was the shit!
Shotgun in one hand, mic in the other – there will never be another.

Comment by TREM ONE 06.30.10 @

Good grief…

Comment by fosterakahunter 06.30.10 @

more on the big homie Rammellzee at the GYMR blogspot! http://bit.ly/9IzWbt

Comment by GetYourMindRight 07.01.10 @

Peace to you Rammellzee! Goin off w/the shotty in hand…I swear when that scene hits the vibe instantly went from Lee, Fab, Pink amateur/indie acting (with all due respect) to straight sinister! I was like ‘who is that cat?’, even the music changes darker during that scene… Damn I love that flick.

Comment by bboycult 07.01.10 @

R.I.P. R:L:Z.

I did a tribute/sampler of Ramm’s music since most people slept on it after Beat Bop:

Comment by elmattic 07.02.10 @

Anyone know where I can find a copy of “Iconic Panzerisms”?

Comment by eric 07.03.10 @

R.I.P. Rammellzee, I remember hearing beat bop off style wars which just changed my whole outlook on the caliber of old school hip hop emcees like him put out.

Comment by gstatty 07.03.10 @

@ Eric, check out http://www.gothicfuturism.com/

You may need some weed, a dictionary, a math book, and a few hours to digest it.

Comment by elmattic 07.04.10 @

@elmattic thanks. ya wow that is really out there. reminds me a bit of Lee Scratch Perry. except 10x more crazy.

Comment by eric 07.04.10 @