Searching For The Perfect Remix: Pete Rock

Now we’re pulling out the big guns. Pete Rock has had a long and varied career, but in terms of his remixing work, he really peaked early on in as a result of being the ‘go to’ guy for much of the early 90’s. His two primary techniques during this period were to either add subtle but effective tweaks to the original formula, as he did with the ‘Slow Down’ remix and the vastly improved ‘Straighten It Out’ remix, or to completely flip the original and recreate it as a hyped-up, horn-soaked assault on the senses. Regardless of the style he utilized, he was able to make even the worst MC listenable for 4 minutes, which pretty much says it all.

Brand Nubian - ‘Slow Down’ [Pete Rock's Newromix]

Das-EFX – ‘Jussumen’ [Remix]

A.D.O.R. - ‘Let It All Hang Out’ [Pete Rock Remix]

EPMD feat. LL Cool J - ‘Rampage’ [Hardcore To The Head Mix]

House Of Pain - ‘Jump Around’ [Pete Rock Remix]

Lords Of The Underground - ‘Flow On’ [Remix]

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - ‘Take You There’ [Remix]

Public Enemy - ‘Shut Em Down’ [Pete Rock Remix]

What Is Pete Rock's Best Remix?

• Public Enemy - ‘Shut Em Down’ [Pete Rock Remix] (60%, 171 Votes)
  • House Of Pain - ‘Jump Around’ [Pete Rock Remix] (10%, 29 Votes)
  • Das-EFX – ‘Jussumen’ [Remix] (9%, 26 Votes)
  • A.D.O.R. - ‘Let It All Hang Out’ [Pete Rock Remix] (7%, 21 Votes)
  • Brand Nubian - ‘Slow Down’ [Pete Rock's Newromix] (5%, 13 Votes)
  • Lords Of The Underground - ‘Flow On’ [Remix] (4%, 11 Votes)
  • Pete Rock & CL Smooth - ‘Take You There’ [Remix] (4%, 11 Votes)
  • EPMD feat. LL Cool J - ‘Rampage’ [Hardcore To The Head Mix] (1%, 4 Votes)

Total Voters: 286

Loading ... Loading ...

Previously:

Searching For The Perfect Remix: DJ Premier

Searching For The Perfect Remix: Buckwild

Searching For The Perfect Remix: Large Professor

Searching For The Perfect Remix: Da Beatminerz

At the time of voting the EPMD Rampage remix wouldn’t load so which version did you pick ?

Comment by CrateDigga78 07.29.10 @

Ah, it’s OK it loaded now, you picked the right one ! haha

Comment by CrateDigga78 07.29.10 @

Probably the hardest decision yet.

Comment by TOBE$ 07.29.10 @

I don’t remember ever hearing that Straighten It Out remix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXcg6zEdv-8). Nice.

In terms of making the original better, the Rampage and Shut ‘Em Down remixes were aces but then so were the originals.

I played the Flow On remix several times a day after getting the single and it was lots better than the orig.

For this reason I vote for the Pete Rock via LOTUG.

Comment by Ross 07.29.10 @

Man this is a tough one. For me it’s between the “Shut ‘em Down” remix and the “Jump Around” remix. Though both tracks definitely bang, I’ll give it to “Shut ‘em Down” for the song overall.

Comment by Bug 07.29.10 @

Too hard, give me some time on this one Robbie.

Comment by Jaz 07.29.10 @

No PR remix of Das Efx ‘real hip hop’ ??

Comment by JonnySimps 07.29.10 @

P.E. remix always wins for me, but Das efx, LOTUG, & the Pete Rock & CL Smooth remix were eck & neck. I always thought that ADOR song WAS the original. Guess I have to peep the original song too.

Comment by bronxbomma 07.29.10 @

it gotta be p.e.

Comment by swordfish 07.29.10 @

That “Jussumen” remix is great, compared to the original !!!

Comment by maad 07.29.10 @

would have loved to see Jamal Fades Em All on the list, although I’ll vote for Shut Em Down anyway..

Is the A.D.O.R. really a remix? I know it was credited as one, but never heard about an original version

Comment by Krisch 07.29.10 @

Das Efx. Hands down. My Facebook status a couple weeks ago was actually Jussumen Remix > Shutem Down Remix.

The ADOR and HOP are seconds and thirds. Big issue though — you DID NOT include the Lots of Lovin remix and it shits all over Take You There, Slow Down, or Rampage.

Comment by haroon 07.29.10 @

Nice. How about an SD-50’s remix poll next?

Comment by Marc Oz 07.29.10 @

p.e.- when that mix dropped it was an instant classic
same with “can´t stop the prophet” – oh – it´s not on the list. ouch ;)

Comment by andré 07.29.10 @

Jeru – Can’t stop the prophet remix, come ON!

Gotta give it to Jussumen, I was obsessed with the remix when it came out.

Comment by KrmnL 07.29.10 @

shut em down. but that take u there is a close 2nd, to me. that A.D.O.R track took me back. i forgot about that one.

Comment by dmfslimm 07.29.10 @

i think ador is an not a contender for this list. no one ever heard the original – if there is one.
but what about an interview with ador?

Comment by andré 07.29.10 @

I voted Jump Around. That beat is a thing of beauty and I’d say it’s tied w/ TROY as Pete’s finest.

second place: Shut Em Down
third place: Jussumen

Can’t front on any of these really (‘cept maybe Slow Down-too samey). If Pete doesn’t take the top prize in the final poll I’d be surprised. The guy is just brilliant.

Comment by Rap Hands 07.29.10 @

A Robbie, what about a best duo out of Queens? CNN,Organized, Mobb Deep, Beatnuts,ect..

Comment by Dee 07.29.10 @

‘shut ‘em down’ was the anthem

Comment by dj blendz 07.29.10 @

Hardest competition this site has ever had. PE. HOP, and ADOR are all classics, but I had to go with P.E. which just edged out HOP. ADOR was never really a remix so I technically couldn’t pick it. By the way, a UFC fighter entered to the Shut Em Down remix a few years ago at a ppv.

Comment by HipHopHistorian 07.29.10 @

Was just listening to the Main Ingredient (PR at his zenith)yesterday. Dude doesn’t get his due. Take You There (Original) much doper than the remix.

Comment by FoeCion 07.29.10 @

Yeah – where’s Jeru?!

Comment by A.S. 07.29.10 @

Shut E’m Down Remix…….No question duke !!!

Comment by shamz 07.29.10 @

Do you even need to ask?

Comment by hl 07.29.10 @

im starting to think pete is a scrub on remixes!! but who am i? shut em down crushes all that other stuff.

Comment by aRKayeM 07.29.10 @

Apropos of nothing, why not post the greatest Easy Mo Bee original tracks that cats made ghey remixes out of?

Comment by A'Peks 07.29.10 @

There are three instances (that I know of) where Primo and Pete Rock each made a beat for the same song.

You Can’t Stop the Prophet (Pete Rock wins)
Real Hip Hop (tie)
The Milita (Primo wins)

All six beats are crazy dope.

You Can’t Stop the Prophet is by far my favorite and it’s tantamount to heresy that it is not included in this competition.

Comment by crusher 07.29.10 @

The thing about the ‘Prophet’ remix is it’s a great beat that doesn’t fit the tone of the vocals. It lacks the sense of urgency and tension of the original, so for me it fails as a remix…

Comment by Robbie 07.29.10 @

for me i gotta roll with PE & ADOR.
when u hear that ADOR joint it brings right back to 1992. it has that classic 1992 feel to it.
and that PE joint is just straight heavenly. like it came from the gods.

Comment by Brandan E. 07.29.10 @

and cant sleep on the Jeru remix plus the all-time great das Efx real hip-hop joint! damn man, what more can u say?

Comment by Brandan E. 07.29.10 @

i gotta be one of the very few who prefers the original PE Shut Em Down to the remix :(

REgardless, that remix is bananaaanananaas!

Comment by cenzi 07.30.10 @

Canʻt stop the prophet rmx! for that reason… not voting.

Comment by syze 1 07.30.10 @

SHut em down hands down!! The one off the top of my head not listed is the remix for Das Efx real hip hop, that shit gets me amped everytime..

Comment by bsked 07.30.10 @

Robbie, not to be all sycophantic and shit but that’s what I always thought about the “Prophet” remix. When I first heard the original, my God, one of my best hip-hop memories…that snare…

Comment by vollsticks 07.30.10 @

CRUSHER…..PETE WINS OVER PRIMO ON ALL OF THOSE REMIXES. THE ILL PETE ROCK REMIXES ARE THE ONES HE DID ON PIRATE RADIO AND FUTUREFLAVAS LIKE THE TONY CNN REMIX AND THE BIZ MARKIE STUDDA STEP REMIX.

Comment by YEAH 07.30.10 @

The PE remix by far.

Comment by The Funkologist 07.30.10 @

@cenzi

I thought I was the only one. I like both version alot but that original gets my heartrate up.

Comment by A'peks 07.30.10 @

I have said it before and I will say it again, the Live in UK version of Shut Em’ Down is tops. It uses the Pete Rock remix, but its LIVE!

Comment by turtle 07.30.10 @

We need a part two.
Jamal “Fades em All”
Naughty “Hip Hop Hooray” slept on remix
Jeru “Prophet”
CL “Lots of Lovin”
Da Youngsta’s “PAss da Mic” yes it was a remix
Das “real hip-hop”

my vote by the way is between House of Pain and PE.. We never heard ADOR original lol

Comment by dolo 07.30.10 @

Robbie.. prophet remix is kinda like him adding an instrumental to the vocal but it was still dope .. I also forgot to include INI “fakin jax” remix with them bells..

Comment by dolo 07.30.10 @

1- Thinking back to the recent Primo remix selection, Pete Rock’s are better by a clear margin.
2- Who the fuck has heard the ADOR original? Youtube link someone please!
3- Best remix which switches up the original – Shut ‘em down. Best remix which tweaks the original – Slow down.
4 – vollsticks and Robbie – I always disliked Can’t stop the prophet remix, Dope emcee and dope beat, but the smoothness doesn’t suit Jeru.

Comment by djbosscrewwrecka 07.30.10 @

powerful impact Shut Em Down remix when it came out, hands down

Comment by Matt 07.30.10 @

Oh snap he uses that Prince “Ballad of Dorothy Parker” on the Flow on Rmx. Never heard that.
I gotta go with Shut Em Down…followed by Jump Around.

Comment by keatso 07.30.10 @

I was REALLY hoping that the Fadees Em All remix was on here, since its the sole reason why I copped Jamal’s album (one of my bigger regrets that I’ve come live happily with).

also surprised Real Hip Hop didnt win out over Jussumen but regardless, a PR Remix is a win all the time, great list despite.

Comment by Enig Mue 07.30.10 @

Umm is anyone else havin any problems trying to d/l the songs, divshare just goes back to the main page after I click the link.

Comment by Victor 07.30.10 @

I remember loving the PE Nightrain remix too … !

Comment by brock 07.30.10 @

CMON SON!!! FLY HIGH REMIX W/ BLACKSTAR, COMMON SENSE & BLACK THOUGHT… WHUT DA NAME AGAIN OV THAT TRACK?

Comment by donaleski 07.30.10 @

^Respiration Rmx. yeah that was a later joint overlooked here

Comment by keatso 07.30.10 @

All classics, as Pete is the man, but GOTTA be the PE joint!

Comment by BIGSPICE 07.31.10 @

Nobody shoot me or nothing, but I was never a huge fan of PR and this list of remixes is exibit A. I May have liked these tracks back in the day, but listening to them now, they str8 gabage..And for those speaking blasphemy about PR being better than Preemo @ anything, cmon son’..I like PR but…

Comment by shawamar 08.01.10 @

Seriously, only one mention in the comments about the P.E. Nightrain remix??? That’s one of the greatest remixes EVER regardless of producer. Maybe because not too many have heard it. It’s sick.

Comment by floyd moseby 08.02.10 @

@Turtle

I agree, that live version is freaking awesome! Best live rap recording i’ve heard.

…Now that could be an interesting yet dissapointing poll-post Robbie.

Comment by Theilf 08.02.10 @

i’m just gonna throw in a vote for the absent “fade’s ‘em all” remix

Comment by kannox 08.02.10 @

Shutn Em Down, hands down. Pete’s best use of the “Long Red” break which he beat into submission on Mecca & the Soul Brother (just on side one!!) the Nighttrain remix was slept on as well. Dude killed it with the Fades em All remix. I swore up and down that was Erick Sermon when I first heard it. Close second is the Jump Around joint. I never liked Lords of the Underground but Flow On was dope. Both remixes of Rampage were bangin’and the Lots Of Lovin’ remix was overlooked. Here’s one y’all missed: the Mecca and the Soul Brother remix (they even shot a video for it), complete with, you guessed it, the “Long Red” break.

Comment by oskamadison 08.02.10 @

Yes, the nighttrain remixes are excellent. Anybody who wants to hear what CL Smooth would have sounded like over the beat Pete used for “can’t stop the prophet” (in a very off beat way !) should check out the “foundation mix” of “take you there” on the Pete Rock & CL Smooth “Never Coming Out EP” (a brilliant name for a bootleg !)

Comment by CrateDigga78 08.02.10 @

When it comes to a remix I have to look at how much that remix improved on the original cut to where you don’t even want to listen to the OG anymore. And Pete has done that more than a few times. So this is a tough one.

01. Pete Rock & Cl Smooth “Take You There” remix (OG Version can’t even compare to this one. The remix hits so hard and has become one of my favorite underrated Pete Remixes.)
02. Public Enemy “Shut Em Down” Remix
03. House Of Pain “Jump Around Remix”
04. EPMD “Rampage” Remix
05. A.D.O.R. “Let It All Hang Out Remix”(without this remix A.D.O.R. would never have gotten the attention he did.)
06. DAS EFX “Jussumen” remix (Das EFX vocals have not aged very well even under Pete Rock’s production. Good thing there’s and instrumental track on the promo 12″ cause this beat is bananas!)
07. Lords Of The Underground “Flow On” remix (Beat is dope, song wasn’t all that great vocally imo)
08. Brand Nubian “Slow Down” remix (Not my favorite remix since I like the OG better.)

Comment by Vinyl Athletes 08.03.10 @

shawamar …..you are either a child or no nothing about hiphop to say such ignorant statement. you dont deserve hiphop

Comment by ills 08.03.10 @

Yo First A.D.O.R.S CALSSIC LET IT ALL HANG OUT IS AN ORIGINAL RECORD WITH PETE ROCK THERE WAS NO ORIGINAL TO REMIX FOR A FACT I WORKED WITH ATLANTIC SECOND A.D.O.R. IS A VERY SPECIAL ARTIST THAT DESERVES ALL THE FAME HE HAS ACHIEVED FROM LE IT ALL HANG OUT ITS AN ORIGINAL CLASSIC AND HE STILL DOES ALLOT GOOGLE HIM A.D.O.R. YOU SHOULD INTERVIEW HIM HE IS ONE OF THE PUREST ARTIST EVER IN HIP HOP & HE IS FROM NY TO THE CORE ONE PETES DOPE TO!

Comment by revolt 08.05.10 @

All GREAT remixes that I’ve always loved, but I went with “Jussumen”. I’m gonna do a live 90’s Pete Rock produced mix on my 2.5 hour college radio mixshow on Sunday night 8/15 @ 10pm PST. ALL ORIGINAL VINYL will be in the mix… Serato gets the GAS FACE!!

Comment by Shaun D. aka Wicked 08.05.10 @

I did a best of Pete Rock mix a while ago, a lot of people like it. If you’ve not heard it get it here: http://toiletries.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/best-pete-rock/

Oh, and my favourite PR remix is Jussumen. It makes my blood run cold.

Comment by toilet 08.05.10 @

I can’t remember where I read it …. but didn’t PR do the remix for both, Shut’em Down & Night Train in one day …..

Comment by Mec0ne 08.16.10 @