Fat Beats Memories: Marco Polo

Yesterday saw the announcement that the brick and mortar stores of Fat Beats would be closing their doors in New York and LA after sixteen years:

Fat Beats will celebrate the legacies of the stores, which are scheduled to close in early September (New York: September 4th, Los Angeles: September 18th) by throwing a series of blow-out sales and tribute parties open to the public during their last weeks. Fans can check FatBeats.com for updates.

The Fat Beats brand isn’t dead by any means, as the online store and the record label will continue to rep independent hip-hop, but this announcement certainly marks another turning point in the decline of vinyl sales and the changing face of rap retail. I’ve asked some regulars to share some of their fondest memories of the iconic NY store over the next week or so in tribute to the spot, so let’s set it off with some of Marco Polo‘s favorite moments:

Marco Polo: I remember the first time I saw DJ Eclipse behind the counter, I was frightened because he looks like a goon. Who would of known how much he’d help me get my name out and support my music.

I remember seeing the first 12″ I ever produced on in fat beats NYC and feeling amazing. Shylow “Moment of Clarity” b/w “The Greatest” prod. By Marco Polo!!!! I felt cool.

I use to drop serious dough in the new york store because Toronto didn’t get all the super underground shit or it was way toooo expensive. I had to go to Fat Beats to cop shit like The Cenobites and Company Flow 12”s….

Percee P use to literally live outside of Fat Beats hustling his album or mixtapes. I have bought at least 3 of the same ones from him first out of respect then out of guilt. Lesser known NYC rapper Sensational later took Percee’s title but I didn’t buy shit from that guy.

Gonna miss that place. Glad to be around for it’s existence.

Shylow - ‘The Greatest’

Looks like I’ll be crossing that store of my list for my upcoming holidays. Damn!

Comment by PetePablo 08.19.10 @

Very sad news. Thing that sucks is I was supposed to go to NYC this month, but plans changed. Thankfully over Labor Day weekend I’ll be in LA so I’ll get to go to that store one last time.

Comment by Shaun D. aka Wicked 08.19.10 @

been coppin’ the latest vinyl up at fat beats since ’96 so this sucks..online shopping just aint the same

Things Done Changed (c)Biggie

Comment by dj blendz 08.19.10 @

Actually, buying from Fat Beats’ online store is pretty cool. They send you all kinds of promo shit from the warehouse that you’d never see in the store. I’ve gotten everything from free instrumental LP’s and acapella CD’s to rare group stickers that the groups themselves didn’t have at their shows. Don’t sleep, Fat Beats online is dope!

Comment by Kid Captain Coolout 08.19.10 @

Yo.
As a native NY’er and OG Fat Beats custy since ’97…can I contribute? My email is included…as well as my blog…
Peace and keep up the super duty tough work.
Geng

Comment by geng-grizzly 08.20.10 @

i miss the days of hangin n diggin in record shops for hours.every single one closed.and we had a lot. i even worked in two of them.many memories.and sensational is on some other shit.

Comment by swordfish 08.22.10 @

Glad I made it thru this month!!!

Comment by TREM ONE 08.23.10 @

I remember walking into fat beats back in the day and witnessing ill bill and godfather don both freestyling. Classic ! Also remember seeing Kool Keith outside in front of Gray’s Papaya, decked out in his black elvis/space outfit, eating a hot dog. I’m definitely going to miss the spot…..

Comment by Robocop 08.26.10 @

@Robocop that is the illest memory to have playing over and over in your head

Comment by gstatty 08.27.10 @