Rejected: What’s The Consensus? Unkut Reacts To Jay-Z & Kanye West’s ‘Otis’
Saturday July 23rd 2011,
Filed under: Internets,The Unkut Opinion

^ Pause.

It seems that my internets stock has fallen so low that despite being asked to write about this song my contribution got lost in the sauce or something. The two of you who still drop by this tumbleweed ridden carcass of a site once a month may as well read it…

Enough with playing the original vocals at the start of the song already…that shit ain’t cute nor original. The good news is that the main chop reminds me of the beat Diamond D did for Master Rob when they were the Ultimate Force. The bad news is that the rapping sounds like it was recorded through a tin can with a piece of string, or worse still, a diamond-encrusted Macbook with a shitty built-in mic. You guys couldn’t have copped a decent microphone for the yacht? Dealing with standard Private Jet Rap topics (which for the most part seem to revolve around flying on private jets. Who knew?), it’s not without it’s charms, although I can’t help but imagine what another duo with even a sliver of hunger still rattling around their rib cages might have done with this. I’m joking, obviously – I’m sure if I wait another five minutes they’ll be 18,000 freestyles over this beat flooding the internets for our ‘enjoyment’.

Lightsaber Rap and Fashionista Rap combine to form Private Jet Rap and Socialite Rap

Comment by dallas 07.23.11 @

THE SONG AINT ACTUALLY THAT BAD FOR THESE OVER-RATED DOUCHEBAGS.

Comment by QUITDABS 07.23.11 @

y u put up picture of bill cosby and roger moore tho????

Comment by brytburken 07.23.11 @

What I don’t get is why everyone is acting like like ye and jay working together is something new. I’m not a huge fan of either but I’ve heard better years ago from this duo. Much ado about nothing. And Robbie, cmon now there’s more than 2 of us. I check for updates all the time. Peace

Comment by Cool bills 07.23.11 @

Fuck all that, Otis is crazy!! Better that than that HAM bullshit.

Comment by oskamadison 07.23.11 @

I have no interest to even listen to this bullshit at all. None. What the fuck would i ever be able to identify with in a 2011 jayz song.

Comment by verge 07.23.11 @

1000x’s better than H.A.M

Comment by bboycult 07.23.11 @

Not telling you how to run your life Robbie
but I liked it when you posted about old school shit as it was educational and filled a niche thats not really covered on the net.

Comment by Gx 07.23.11 @

Utter dogshit. Why the fuck anyone who ** can ** would listen to this instead of a real Otis Redding record (45 or album) is why the the hip-hop “culture” is nearly a total failure in 2011.

There are exceptions– Praise Roc!– but anyone freestyling over this should be put to sleep, or at least get out of show business to find an occupation better suited to their “creativity” (sic).

Comment by White Van McCoy 07.23.11 @

I’m just here to agree with Gx up top.

Comment by Skinny 07.23.11 @

It should be pretty clear from what Robbie wrote that he’s putting this Unkut trollfest out to pasture.

Comment by eric nord 07.24.11 @

Otis Redding is turning in his grave,,,,,,at about 120BPM

Comment by G 07.24.11 @

The end is here. The golden era of everything is gone. New day new way. Let’s grow up and stop acting like we need to be young and hip. I understand that money is the motive and that’s all it is nowadays. This site has changed, doesn’t feel hip hop-ish anymore because hip hop died. Listening to this is like going to see Larry Bird play Mike Jordan in a one on one, today. Way past their prime but it would be cool to see them in their old uniforms. Image is everything. **[back to listening to Baby Huey’s “A change is going to come”]

Comment by dub 07.24.11 @

I’ m always partial to Jay, but this was lackluster. I wasn’t feeling the Otis wailling over and over, they most definetly could have channeled his voice and spirit way better.

Jay, if you listen close is always good for a few jewels. But on this NADA…. He even had the nerve to use the word “Swag” when it was played out at least 3 years ago…. Ye was aiight… So far they are 0 for 2 in the joints they dropped this year

Comment by BKThoroughbred 07.24.11 @

Real quick…has one pondered that the cut may be more about Otis & his publishing estate than it is them 2 dudes?

Comment by $yk 07.24.11 @

As a matter of fact $yk, we have–

And we remain deeply fucking unimpressed.

Q: How many ‘hip-hop’ jerkoffs bought the many Bobby Bland records that destroy Jay & Kanye’s life because they loved “Ain’t No Love”?

Not an exact analogy but close enough. And I bet if you check six months or a year from with ASCAP or BMI re: Otis Redding publishing this is going to mean little more than dick.

Try this for starters–

Comment by White Van McCoy 07.24.11 @

I DON’T KNOW WHY THESE 2 GUYS ARE STILL DOING SONGS…

Comment by thegrimtimes.com 07.24.11 @

G4’s, model bitches, maybach’s, these niggas is havin fun, oh how I wish to be or even relate…I can’t; I only see boxcutters, dirty rachets, and hoe’s with stink boxes that’ll blow you on the rooftop…

hot beat though, can’t deny that…

Comment by biggist from brooklyn 07.25.11 @

I’m not surprised niggas is acting disappointed truthfully!! Nobody is gonna be satisfied! Its gonna be the same shit with detox and 50 and all the other millionaires who got more money than these new age other top 40 rappers! only people not happy are the same idiots who put jay & kanye on such a high pedestal in the 1st place! its what I expected! people are so desperate to be entertained at any cost that even if they heard the illest shit they wouldnt KNOW HOW to respond to it! Nobodys feeling it but watch how many niggas STILL jump on it anyway! lol This New generation is fulla shit! The fact that kanye west & jay-z are commercially the last of a dying breed is fuckin sad. The fact niggas got they hopes up THIS HIGH is fuckin sad. Its like betting everything on black fuckin with these commerical dudes! Niggas cant even be comfortable in their own space musically cause they have this blind task of trying to please a depleted desperate hip hop audience that wouldnt know hot sitting on the sun…
IMO compared to what you hear on the radio and the music other niggas is making, nobody got no room to say shit about what and whose hot!! Ok hate the new kanye & jay z album and replace it with what? commercially that is…oh thats right…officer ricky and wheezy …cause they got tight beats man GTFOH…commercial rap get the gun clap day afta day *buckshot voice*

Comment by QUNYC 07.25.11 @

Fucking Crabs! When guys like these pretty much go and make a track that’s real hip hop, you know SAMPLING…that shit you love, but hate when someone you are jealous of does it it’s a fucking crime again all of a sudden and they should be stopped…yeah that shit. They did that!

Just cause you don’t know how to listen to music and take an aspirational approach to it instead of being a fucking jealous asshole doesn’t mean it isn’t dope. It’s still better than that fucking bullshit you probably listen to.

Now I understand why when people become successful they want to leave all these fuckers behind and join the social elite. WHy the fuck would anyone want to bother with people who would kill them just cause they can’t handle their jealousy. Way too much homosexual fucking angry losers in Hip Hop. That’s why it’s dead. You fags killed it with your attitude.

I think these rappers should continue to make wack shit that caters to rich white people, cause you fucking homos don’t deserve dope shit. Hip Hop died cause you homos killed it. Don’t blame the rappers you fucking losers.

Comment by Jose 07.25.11 @

Songs dope. Stop being elitist nerds and admit it.
H.A.M. was trashhbags this cut is clean.

Comment by CRESNO FRESH 07.25.11 @

No idea what this HAM shit is that so many of you are referring to.

But, my take is, this is all much ado about nothing. Rapping over Otis Redding is hardly new, so what’s the big deal? Is this news only because Jay and Kanye are doing it? If so, it shouldn’t be news at all. …Like if the prevailing opinion on this site is that Ye and Jay are nothing special, then why are we talking about this. Some rappers rapping over a soul loop is not news, so to treat this as news is to treat Jay and Ye as the special entities that most of us claim they aren’t. So, make up your mind.

The ultimate fuck you is ambivalence. I wouldn’t have any idea this song existed if it wasn’t for Unkut. So, sometimes you’re really part of the problem when you think you’re part of the solution. Just food for thought.

Also, White Van Munson, isn’t it a question of apples and oranges about listening to Otis Redding or dudes rapping over Otis Redding loops? I mean, you say, why would anybody listen to this instead of an Otis Redding record. Well, by that logic, why should I listen to the Big L demo tape session instead of Hard to Handle? They’re not the same thing.

And, finally, while I don’t begrudge dudes for sampling Otis or whomever, and I understand the role of sampling in hip hop, you do have to ask yourself why everything that sounds like this is a sample. Can we really not find contemporary musicians who can create a similar type of sound? I’d like to see a little more variety and effort.

Comment by digglahhh 07.25.11 @

whatitdo peeps?

@ WVM

OK it’s just 1 song compared to his hits. What about the people who have never heard of Otis and are digging thru his publishing right now? Isn’t that a great thing for music? One can’t presume that the populous knows.

@ digg

You brought up some valid points, yet this one sticks out…

“Can we really not find contemporary musicians who can create a similar type of sound? I’d like to see a little more variety and effort.”

^ this is where I see WTT being a “look at what we do” manual instead of a vanity project. BTW…

‘The Joy’>>>>>’Otis’

Curtis, Otis, James, Barry, Maurice, Rick James, Quincy and MANY others deserve to be sampled.

Comment by $yk 07.25.11 @

am i the only one tired of hearing jay-z rap? his raps suck now. the song is whatever.

Comment by mk 07.25.11 @

$yk, what up? BTW, thank you for reminding me of “The Joy”, which I was feelin’ just as much as I’m feelin’ this Otis joint.

The big hoopla over this joint isn’t the fact that they jacked Otis Redding (if that’s the case, Salt-n-Pepa and Marley Marl all deserve lifetime achievement awards) but the fact that 2 of the biggest names in Hip-Hop, both of whom have taken beatings over the last couple of years over their musical aesthetic(ie glossy, melodramatic, hip-pop) took it back to the gutter for a second and despite all the high-end commiserating, “Otis”, to me, just feels like some real live Hip-Hop. I’m amused by the fact that ONE SONG came out of nowhere and has damn near the entire Hip-Hop online community in a cobra clutch, with strong opinions for it and against it. Personally, if i’m going to be bombarded with something 50 times a day on the radio (in those very rare occasions I turn that dinosaur on), I’ll take Otis over pretty much anything on the idiot box right now.

Comment by oskamadison 07.25.11 @

G Rap & Necro are forming a group! Hmmmm.

Comment by Crisis 07.26.11 @

This joint is weak. Where are the fucking drums? Though it’s a novel use of the OG, it’s not easy on the ears, is it? Thumbs down to this turd. The reason Robbie was left off the Complex list probably has a lot to do with his opinion, i.e. it was not one of blind praise like nearly every other blogger/journalist on that list. People are scared to call this like it is: Weak beat, lame verses. Yeah, it’s better than HAM, but that ain’t saying much.

Comment by HUD rat 07.26.11 @

@ Cresno..Digg..$yk..Oska ^ What you heads are sayin, is why I keep checkin this site. PEACE.

Comment by bboycult 07.26.11 @

@bboycult…right back at you.

Comment by oskamadison 07.26.11 @

Yeah I agree with Gx,

we ain’t asking for them interviews every week now, but posting up videos and singles is a bit generic-hip-hop-blog material and I don’t come for that.

Nuff love still.

Comment by A.S. 07.26.11 @

@bboycult… Appreciated.

Comment by digglahhh 07.26.11 @

otis is alright, just not for a single and actually, not even for an album cut. it’s not the right flip on that sample if you ask me, doesn’t feel right. sounds like a run of the mill beat camron would go over. this isn’t ‘Throne’ material per se. maybe those guys are thinking too hard. i’m waiting for that common/no id produced ‘the dreamer, the believer’ album to drop..i think that’s going be extra dope.

Comment by kaybee 07.27.11 @

@ kaybee

I have a feelin’ that the Common joint is the one that nobody is thinkin’ about right now and will come out and smack dudes over the heads. ‘Ye did a good job performing CPR on dude’s career after the backlash to Electric Circus (which to this day I say is a hell of a lot better than people thought. If it would have dropped right now, I can almost guarantee the reaction would be different) but now is a good time for Com to take it full circle and link back up with “Mr. D.O.A.”.

One more thought on “Otis”: what makes me a little mad about it is yall know damn well the rest of WTT ain’t gon’ be nowhere near as gully. I’m bracin’ for for the 100,000 freestyles over this joint.

Comment by oskamadison 07.27.11 @

them ‘Otis’ freestyles done already started oska…

Comment by $yk 07.27.11 @

$yk, I’ve already heard Papoose and Skillz on it. both need to sit down. Who SHOULD get on it: Nas and Black Thought.

Comment by oskamadison 07.27.11 @

OK, just heard Jada and Styles on it…not bad. Some generic dude from Philly got on it, meh. The “A Millie” of 2011.

Comment by oskamadison 07.27.11 @

Comment by oskamadison 07.27.11 @

^^
Speaking of Styles P – I’m so tired of Styles P; you hear one verse from him, you heard em all. Same flows, same subject matter over and over and over. Boring. Him and Raekwon should make a lackluster album together.

Comment by kaybee 07.28.11 @

Rejected: What’s The Consensus? Unkut Reacts To Jay-Z & Kanye West’s ‘Otis’
Saturday July 23rd 2011,
Filed under: Internets,The Unkut Opinion
Written by Robbie

^ Pause.

^^^
then get on your grind my dude, everytime i check back it’s the same thing from 3 weeks before. i have to leave comments on top of commnents. you need to be putting in like 3 joints a week irrelevant or not. keep it moving man…wtf

Comment by kaybee 07.28.11 @

@kaybee
… I think that is Robbie’s point; he can’t post like that cause’ all you’d get is a buncha mad dick riding herb shit! That’s why the quotations on ” …For our ‘enjoyment’.” Heads come here to get away from all that bullshit! Hold your head @Robbie we’re ALL grumpy round these parts my dude. GROWN MAN RAP TIL I RETURN TO THE ESSENCE!

Comment by bboycult 07.28.11 @

i cosign whoever said that black thought and nas should get on the otis track.

Comment by dmfslimm 07.28.11 @

word is bond…there’s nothing in the Hip Hop handbook that states “Thou must only listen to new, exclusive music and like it”.

Robbie’s been pushed into that “new rap music hater” box.

Comment by $yk 07.28.11 @

@ bboycult, I’m ridin’ with you
@dmfslimm, that be me, thanks.

Where’s Lil Wayne’s Otis freestyle?…

Comment by oskamadison 07.28.11 @

Next on deck: Freeway and Young Chris

Comment by oskamadison 07.28.11 @

YO FUCK THE ‘THRONE’..IT’S ALL ABOUT HONKEY KONG:

Comment by QUITDABS 07.28.11 @

@bboycult: Thank you. I love all the comments on here because even the one’s I don’t agree with are usually funny as hell or so extreme purist they are once again… funny as hell.

@oska: “Nas & Black Thought” We are on the same page fam. And Young Chris is a beast. It’s funny how my attitude about him has drastically 180’d the last decade.

@kaybee: I will always have respect for Syles & Rae(both used to be one of my favorites) but you are too true with that comment.

Comment by CRESNO FRESH 07.29.11 @

Otis and HAM are two of the single most laziest song titles I have ever come across. Both songs are literally about nothing. Suffice to say I expect more from two of today’s best rappers. We’ll see what’s up when the album drops but if these two songs are any indication of what’s to come they are going to lose a bunch of fans.

Comment by bc-tw 07.30.11 @

If Nas and Black Thought got on this, it would give this song a reason to exist. That is, assuming Nas came correct – it’s sad that Nasir Jones is one we’d have to worry about pulling some Kool Keith x Stic Man x Hunter Thompson incoherent mess, but them’s the time. Thought would obliterate this shit.

That said, Nas would probably come correct since rapping over old beat breaks is his strongsuit. If Nas made an album of 30 1-2 minute single verses over break beats and pre 90s hip hop beats, it would be hands down the best thing he’s done since Illmatic. When Swizz Beats and Neptunes blew up and Nas tried to ride that shit, he was the audio equivalent of Andy Rooney trying to work an iPad. Mo’ basic = mo’ better for Nas.

Comment by digglahhh 07.30.11 @

@kaybee

I kind of agree. Styles P. is basically like Mike Miller or some shit, one of these dudes whose reputation as being underrated got so huge that he actually became overrated. Sure, he’s a competent rapper, but when 30% of your bars are dedicated to talking about stabbing people (better than shooting people, I’ll give you), your ceiling closes in pretty quickly.

That said, back when the LOX were just shitting on the NYC mixtape circuit – you know, back when the NYC mixtape circuit still existed – Styles was dropping a lot dope shit and going neck to neck with Jada for much of that era.

For example, on that “Chest to Chest” shit, you hear Jada’s verse and you’re like, well, there’s no way Styles (or pretty much anybody) can follow this, and then he drops a real fucking gem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amXwBhvovcQ&feature=related

Sheek Louch must have embarrassing pics of both of em on some J Edgar Hoover extorting US Presidents shit. …Or maybe, it’s a Pete Rock/YGs situation.

Comment by digglahhh 07.30.11 @

Someone else to picture on Otis. This might be left field but for sheer skills and intensity, my dude Redman would murk that joint.

Comment by oskamadison 07.30.11 @

Ayo wtf happened to this site? Where are the in-depth interviews and rare gems? This sh-t is wack.

Comment by The Funkologist 08.04.11 @

i aint gonna lie. i was hatin’ on this shit too. it grew on me tho. I guess if it aint Queensbridge Dirty Rap, it aint good enough for Robbie. About the sound quality of the vocals…ummm..i think they did that on purpose…they call it a distortion filter…

Comment by jay 08.11.11 @

what does unkut think about WTT? i always look forward to yalls opinion. we need a new post.

Comment by dmfslimm 08.11.11 @

All bullshit aside, that photo caption is still cracking me the fuck up.

Comment by A'Peks 08.12.11 @

G4′s, model bitches, maybach’s, these niggas is havin fun, oh how I wish to be or even relate…I can’t; I only see boxcutters, dirty rachets, and hoe’s with stink boxes that’ll blow you on the rooftop…

hot beat though, can’t deny that…

LMAO!!!

Comment by Meyer Plansky 08.14.11 @

This beat is tricky when it comes to bars. a coupla of not so clean change ups.

IMO, D-block and Skillz have made the best versions. The original version sucks ass.

Nas and Black thought must have trouble walking with all you niggz hanging on their ballsacs.

Comment by freeclinicmember 08.23.11 @

I understand it’s you guys site and all.. but it was dope until you started criticizing the music… let your vistiors judge, I rather judge myself. How can you judge the mics! they using. Who does that? We was raised up on 80-90’s Hip Hop when the equipment was limited. We prasie Wu, Large Professor, Mobb Deep. etc, about their sound! Marcberg album.. How is it not original? Kanye been sampling! I mean huh .. like he never made your head knock before.. then why post to have a negative reaction.
AND THIS IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH HIP HOP.

Not telling you how to run your life Robbie
but I liked it when you posted about old school shit as it was educational and——> filled a niche thats not really covered on the net.

Comment by Gx 07.23.11 @

Comment by Mike 08.26.11 @

I still read your website on a weekly basis! You and Byron Crawford write excellent blog entries, that are very entertaining. Anyways, I do not care about Kangay or Gay-Z and their fantasies of butt fucking every player on the New York Knicks. I miss the old Jay that used to carry luggage for Big Jaz and Big Daddy Kane! Peace!

Comment by Eddie 09.30.11 @