Searching For The Perfect Remix: Large Professor

Trying to pick the best Paul Mitchell remix is like trying to pick your favorite type of booze – they all work in the real situation. But since I’m restricting each round to eight selections, stuff like the “Resurrection’ remixes just missed out on making the cut.

Gangstarr - ‘Gotta Get Over (Takin’ Loot)’ [Large Professor Remix]

Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Wanted Dead Or Alive [Large Professor Remix]

Lord Finesse - ‘Isn’t He Something’ [Extra-P Session Mix]

Mobb Deep - ‘Peer Pressure’ [Large Professor Remix]

Nas - ‘It Ain’t Hard To Tell’ [Large Professor Remix]

Organized Konfusion - ‘Stress’ [Large Professor Remix]

Slick Rick - ‘It’s A Boy’ [Large Professor Remix]

Tragedy Feat Havoc - ‘Da Funk Mode’ [Large Professor Remix]

What Is Large Pro's Best Remix?

• Organized Konfusion - ‘Stress’ [Large Professor Remix] (29%, 92 Votes)
  • Nas - ‘It Ain_t Hard To Tell’ [Large Professor Remix] (21%, 68 Votes)
  • Tragedy Feat Havoc - ‘Da Funk Mode’ [Large Professor Remix] (16%, 50 Votes)
  • Slick Rick – ‘It’s A Boy’ [Large Professor Remix] (13%, 42 Votes)
  • Gangstarr - ‘Gotta Get Over (Takin’ Loot)’ [Large Professor Remix] (11%, 35 Votes)
  • Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Wanted Dead Or Alive [Large Professor Remix] (6%, 18 Votes)
  • Lord Finesse - ‘Isn’t He Something’ [Extra-P Session Mix] (4%, 13 Votes)
  • Mobb Deep - ‘Peer Pressure’ [Large Professor Remix] (0%, 4 Votes)

Total Voters: 322

Loading ... Loading ...

Previously: Searching For The Perfect Remix: Da Beatminerz

To me the Funkmode remix (actually the original version) is the best out of this list. The Large Professor remix of Common’s ‘Resurrection’ tops it for me tho.

Comment by The Funkologist 07.09.10 @

Voted.

Comment by Ivan 07.09.10 @

“Now ain’t nuthin’ deeper than havin’ to throw a n#**# in the sleeper…..” Hands down it’s the Stress remix with a dope verse from the professor himself.

Comment by Bug 07.09.10 @

Gotta Get Over remix >>>

Comment by hl 07.09.10 @

fuck yeah where is the resurrection remix

Comment by keatso 07.09.10 @

@-keatso-co-sign
@hl-cosign
Man that”Got to get over”remix is THA TRUTH!!! And that”Ressurection”remix is MATCHLESS!!!!I always loved that-Wanted Dead Or Alive remix,thanks Robbie.

Comment by R.Jones 07.09.10 @

I hope when we get to round two,Shante’s-Big Mama:Large Professor(remix)is among the greats.

Comment by R.Jones 07.09.10 @

I always wondered why they bothered to edit out the curses on this Gotta Get Over remix. To make things worse, a dirty version was never released! If we had a dirty version it would definitely have gotten my vote. I guess we just have to chalk it up to record company assholes doing what they do best…fucking shit up, and not in a good way. Also, I really really wish the Stress remix were available on CD.

Comment by crusher 07.09.10 @

Got Gotta Get Over

Comment by verge 07.09.10 @

no “Resurrection” remixes?!?!?!? this list is an automatic FAIL.

Comment by esto 07.09.10 @

Big Mama or Resurrection would get my vote but …Outta what’s listed, I give it to Stress.

Comment by Rap Hands 07.09.10 @

Epic fail if no “Resurrection Remix” in included.

Comment by HipHopHistorian 07.09.10 @

gotta get ova, stress & funk mode..take out the peer pressure rmx & put in resurrection

Comment by dj blendz 07.10.10 @

It’s a boy

Comment by Hams 07.10.10 @

Yeah, no Resurrection remix is some foot in mouth shit.

Comment by jack in the box 07.10.10 @

@crusher: There were also cassette and cd releases of the Stress remix back in ’94, also including the original version of Stress w/o the skit and Keep It Coming.

Plus, I gotta agree with esto.

Comment by Chulee ManSun 07.10.10 @

crush kill destroy stress

Comment by KQ 07.10.10 @

As far as G Rap:

The ‘Bad to The Bone’ remix >>>the ‘Wanted’ remix.

Comment by The Funkologist 07.10.10 @

Back in the day, I burned HOLES in the Stress Remix! Like others have mentioned before me, Resurrection Remix would have gotten my vote though.

Comment by Sublime 07.10.10 @

@Chulee ManSun: Stress remix on cd…do you know if it was promo or commercial release? Discogs just shows 12″ and cassette. I have no idea why they didn’t include it on the official Best of Organized Konfusion CD. I guess that would have made too much sense.

Comment by crusher 07.10.10 @

@crusher: I guess it was an official release; single CDs were kinda big during the mid-90s as labels thought CDs would replace vinyl copies (thank god they were wrong). Too bad I lost lots of CDs during my last relocation, including the Stress CD. By the way, there’s lots of releases missing on Discogs, especially single CDs, since this site lives off user’s contributions.

You’re right, the Stress RMX would have been a great addition on the Best Of OK CD. The same goes for Rack ‘Em Up or the Buckwild remix of Bring It On.

Comment by Chulee ManSun 07.10.10 @

It’s a boy.. Changed the song completely, especially with the well use of the “spinning wheel” drums. “Ricky jr. will be the bundle of joy’s name…” gotta get over is a very close second. To remix another dope producers work takes balls and talent.

Comment by Dubz 07.10.10 @

gotta be “its a boy”… honourable mention to the NAS NAS NAS NAS NAS remix though, tat Biz sample is genius.

RD

Comment by Rare Dave 07.10.10 @

Ressurection is a glaring omission for me.
Not getting the love for the ordinary Gotta Get Over mix.
It’s a boy wins of the mixes in the list, for the beat. It would be even better if it had a better subject matter and MC.

Comment by Beatlover 07.10.10 @

Nas – ‘It Ain_t Hard To Tell’ [Large Professor Remix]

You have been a roll with the dope posts lately Robbie, nice work b :)

Comment by Jaz 07.11.10 @

@Chulee ManSun: Thanks for the info, guess I gotta keep my eyes peeled! At least the Bring it On RMX was on that Buckwild Diggin in the Crates compilation from a few years ago. That was an incredible collection of gems. Imagine if Extra P released something like that?

Comment by crusher 07.11.10 @

Man, this is Mission Impossible ! That list alone is greater than some producers entire output !

Comment by CrateDigga78 07.11.10 @

a better mc than slick rick beatlover? really…u really just posted that?

Comment by mercilesz 07.11.10 @

Yeah, only ever really liked Rick on La Di Da Di and Childrens Story.

Comment by Beatlover 07.11.10 @

wow. thats amazing. I dont think I have ever heard anyone say that sentence. to each his own

Comment by mercilesz 07.11.10 @

the nas jawn. i remember it was the b side to the single. funky as hell.

Comment by dmfslimm 07.12.10 @

This list is WAY too short. How about the Large Pro remix of “What’s Next” by LONS? WAY better than the original. Off this list, it’s gotta be “Stress” and it’s not even close. No “Fast Life” remix?

Comment by floyd moseby 07.12.10 @

Some of these i’d never heard but listening to the
Isn’t He Something remix was damn dope but also heard Extra P’s remix of Common’s Resurrection and strange this is not on here. All in all some really great shit!

Comment by Big Braveheart 07.12.10 @

“This list alone is greater than some producer’s entire output”.

CrateDigga78, you ain’t lyin’. It’s A Boy, Gotta Get Over (one of only maybe 2 times someone outshined Premo on a joint, the other being Pete Rock’s remix of “The Militia”), It Ain’t Hard To Tell, too many bangers. I had to run with “Stress”. That track was just retarded and his 16 was the icing on the cake. Here’s an OG one for y’all: The remix to Main Source’s Just Hangin’ Out.

Comment by oskamadison 07.13.10 @

kool g rap sounds like the original. all new story by g rap would ve killed all that shit

Comment by aRKayeM 07.13.10 @

Gotta go with the “Gotta Get Over” remix. That joint just was so much rawer than the original. I mean, Guru even sounded grittier on that beat. So dope!!! Thanks for the “Wanted Dead or Alive” remix, too. I snoozed on that one. Great job. PEace and GOD BLESS

Comment by SPank (Divided Souls Ent) 07.13.10 @

@ Dubz

“Spinning Wheel”…THAT’S what those drums were? He took that break and made a whole different break out of it. I always thought he sampled a loop for those drums. That’s why he’s the Mad Scientist. BTW Robbie, damn you and this list. I went back and listened to those joints. How the hell do you expect someone to choose between all those bangers?? That being said, Premier, Pete Rock and RZA better be next and Preme’s joint, off top, is going to be AT LEAST 5 rounds.

Comment by oskamadison 07.14.10 @

THAT LIST WAS TUFF..VOTED GOTTA GET OVER THO..KEEP IT ROLLIN’ OFF OF MIDNIGHT MARAUDERS MY LP FAVE..AND THAT AZ/STYLES P TRACK..

Comment by TYBO2020 07.14.10 @

STRESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssss
mad burn on the stretch and bob show back in the days.

Comment by KrmnL 07.16.10 @

Kool G Rap & DJ Polo – Wanted Dead Or Alive [Large Professor Remix] the flip side to erase racism in case ya didnt know that for the sleepy heads out there ….. does not matter if it’s the same rhymes
the production is 1990 – 91 that’s why it’s get lost
real heads know what time it is!!!

Comment by setrule 07.16.10 @

It’s all about the Stress rmx for me.
Although the flip on the Biz sample for It Aint Hard To Tell is on some amazing sample wizard shit (remember Large Pro did it again on Nas – You’ The Man?)

Comment by Grass 07.18.10 @

No Extra P Resurrection? No What’s Next? Man I gotta give it to Stress, but missing those other joints is not a good look.Along with The Business, that Remix made Common’s career.

Comment by chillo 07.29.10 @

mobb deep shit. those flutes still play in my head after 17 years.

Comment by blue terrible 08.08.10 @

FOR ME? FUNK MODE, AINT HARD TO TELL, ITS A BOY AND STRESS ARE ON PAR…TO ME…CANT DECIDE
OH AND THE RESURRECTION REMIX

Comment by blitz 09.02.10 @

Bloop blue, blip blue, blup bloo, bloop blue…

Comment by Lou_Minoti 10.31.10 @