Searching For The Perfect Remix: Marley Marl

Engineer All-Star Marley Marl came from the era when a remix often meant turning-up the drums, dropping out the main loop occasionally and adding a horn blast and some echo, but even when the additions were relatively minor, they proved to be incredibly effective. The remixed versions of ‘Vapors’ and ‘Shootin’ The Gift’ both maintain their original loops, but manage to sound ten times better with the addition of some extra horns and vocal samples, while the additional sounds added to the 12″ versions of ‘Droppin’ Science’ and ‘The Symphony’ take already great songs to another level. The King Tee and 3rd Bass remakes add completely new bases to the tracks, giving them a much-needed face-lift, while the ‘Jingling Baby’ remix is the perfect example of how to build upon a solid foundation and turn into a timeless classic.

3rd Bass - ‘Product of the Environment’ [Marley Marl Remix]

Biz Markie - ‘Vapors’ [Remix]

Capone-N-Noreaga - ‘L,A., L.A.’ [Kuwait Mix]

Craig G - ‘Shootin’ The Gift’ [Remix]

King Tee - ‘At Your Own Risk’ [Budha Mix]

LL Cool J - ‘Jingling Baby’ [Remixed But Still Jingling]

Marley Marl feat. Craig G- ‘Droppin’ Science’ [Hip Hop Version]

What Is Marley Marl's Best Remix?

• LL Cool J - ‘Jingling Baby’ [Remixed But Still Jingling] (30%, 55 Votes)
  • Capone-N-Noreaga - ‘L,A., L.A.’ [Kuwait Mix] (23%, 42 Votes)
  • 3rd Bass - ‘Product of the Environment’ [Marley Marl Remix] (16%, 29 Votes)
  • King Tee - ‘At Your Own Risk’ [Budha Mix] (10%, 18 Votes)
  • Marley Marl feat. Craig G- ‘Droppin’ Science’ [Hip Hop Version] (10%, 18 Votes)
  • Marley Marl feat. Masta Ace, Craig G, Big Daddy Kane & Kool G Rap- ‘The Symphony’ [Remix] (7%, 13 Votes)
  • Craig G - ‘Shootin’ The Gift’ [Remix] (3%, 5 Votes)
  • Biz Markie - ‘Vapors’ [Remix] (1%, 4 Votes)

Total Voters: 184

Loading ... Loading ...

Previously:

Searching For The Perfect Remix: The Stimulated Dummies

Searching For The Perfect Remix: Pete Rock

Searching For The Perfect Remix: DJ Premier

Searching For The Perfect Remix: Buckwild

Searching For The Perfect Remix: Large Professor

Searching For The Perfect Remix: Da Beatminerz

Toughest poll of all so far.
Between King Tee and Droppin Science for me..Will decide later.

Comment by Beatlover 09.02.10 @

Marley is definitely legendary and I voted for the King Tee remix because he took a song that had an extremely wack track and gave it some life.
I just wish Marley didn’t have these credibility issues when it comes to his production history, but I guess a lot of producers have these same issues. SMH.

Comment by Bug 09.02.10 @

Regardless of production credibility issues always has been, and will be the G.O.A.T. for me.

If it said Cold Chillin and Marley produced I would buy it (Although an album by “2 Deep” did make me think “WTF”!!)

Comment by Dan E Fresh 09.02.10 @

No question, that king tee and jinglin baby…
back then niggas had dance routines to that shit lol…

Comment by QUNYC 09.02.10 @

Voted King Tee. Proper face lift of a otherwise secondary track, and definitely added the most to compared to the original.

Comment by Kul D 09.02.10 @

I loved the original At Your Own Risk beat, Marley fucked that song up so bad… and that piano loop he used was played out.

Comment by thebiz1200 09.02.10 @

It was close between Craig G and CNN but L.A. got it.

did i miss searching for the perfect lord finesse remix or has that not been done yet

Comment by RowanB 09.02.10 @

i know you will think I’m wack, but fuck it… I have been looking for a Marley Marl remix of a Kid N Play song since forever.. I just barely remember that the bassline on that track was funky as fuck… that said, I gotta go with Biz’ Vapors. The way he cut that sample is fuckin amazing.

Comment by CENZI 09.02.10 @

check this collection of Marley remixes BTW…

Comment by CENZI 09.02.10 @

King tee and LL no doubt, but product of the environment remix holds a special place for me.. That shit was hard for me to track down when it dropped back in the day.

Comment by KrmnL 09.02.10 @

Droppin’ Science

Comment by OpnHds 09.02.10 @

When It Comes to King Tee, Marleys remix of Black Togetha Again is superior imo.

Comment by Grass 09.02.10 @

pretty lackluster list, most of the originals were better. cnn for the win here with king tee a close second. maybe a poll for the vinyl reanimators remixes later.

Comment by 4:20 09.02.10 @

Nice list. I forgot he did some of these tracks. My top three are 3rd Bass, King Tee, and LL. I have to take LL for the win since that song still sounds fresh in the ride to this day. As for King Tee, that ended up as the theme music for Rap City on BET in 1993 and possibly before.

Comment by HipHopHistorian 09.02.10 @

LL followed by 3rd bass. No question.

Comment by keatso 09.02.10 @

LL, by far, was his best but my favorite was the 3rd Bass joint. The Blind Alley drums AND that Meters loop together? Sick…

Comment by oskamadison 09.03.10 @

have to go with the 3rd bass remix – always liked the album version but felt marley’s remix added a darker edge which better fitted the content of serch and pete nice’s rhymes.

Comment by Ryan Proctor 09.03.10 @

King Tee, easy!! If Vapors hadnt been on there..but still, King Tee, easy!

Comment by PAS 09.03.10 @

I haven’t gone two months without listening to that Product of the Environment remix since it first came out. Shit is hard and addictive.

Comment by Frost Gamble 09.03.10 @

That Symphony remix is a hot mess…and the CNN remix is just a bite off of RZA’s beat for Biggie’s Long Kiss Goodnight on Life After Death. Vapors is only marginally different than the original. I’ve got nothing against Marley Marl but I don’t find any of these remixes appealing so I could not bring myself to vote.

Comment by crusher 09.03.10 @

3rd Bass – ‘Product of the Environment’ [Marley Marl Remix]

Comment by Jaz 09.03.10 @

Arrest the President Remix? LL for me

Comment by Cro 09.04.10 @

CNN gets my vote here, but Dropping Science, King Tee, and LL deserve honorable mentions.

Comment by digglahhh 09.04.10 @

dropping science for the win.

shoulda had the aleem ‘release yourself’ remix on there tho, imo.

Comment by KQ 09.04.10 @

the remix he did for Pop the brown hornet?

Comment by brytburken 09.04.10 @

By FAR the 3rd Bass remix. It’s not even a contest.

Comment by b-psycho 09.04.10 @

I’ve always been a HUGE Marley Marl fan… He’s Top 3 of ALL TIME for me, and should be for every Hiphop head. I gotta vote for LL Cool J’s “Jingling Baby (Remixed But Still Jingling)” cuz that shit is just crazy… It’s ALWAYS been one of my favorite joints!

Comment by Shaun D. aka Wicked 09.06.10 @